Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prusa Nozzle Released

Posted by akhlut 
Re: Prusa Nozzle Released
July 07, 2013 03:32PM
I'm getting pretty good results on the ABS. The filament is 3.0mm.

I'm still having issues with the PLA, but that stuff is 2.9mm or 2.8mm depending on the color/source that we got it from. So it might be a filament diameter issue.

I have some PLA at 3.0mm coming hopefully this week. (At $8/lb) :-)

More testing when that gets here.
July 07, 2013 04:33PM
Have any of you tried out the Ecksbot hot end?
July 07, 2013 06:05PM
Looks interesting. Do you print with one?
July 08, 2013 03:39AM
Yeah, i was looking around for an all metal hotend, since ours would melt out. It was between the this prusa and the ecksbot. The ecksbot one looked like it would work great for my Sells Mendel, So after talking with Bruce from ecksbot i decided to go with that one.(HE also hooked me up with other stuff i needed to convert mine to run his hotend) Tried PLA the first time and it worked great. I can let it sit in there for hours hot and all you have to do is extrude a few mm till it looks good again and print away. I had some trouble with ABS but found out my sanguino board was reading temps wrong. Figured the temp thing out then found out the ABS I was using is garbage(hollow spots and moister). But the little bit of ABS that i had running through it looks like it will be fine once i get quality stuff.(i think the bad ABS is what caused us to ruin our old hotends). The picture is of a camera mount i made to replace the one that broke. I made it up on sketch up, works great
Attachments:
open | download - camera mount.jpg (594.8 KB)
July 08, 2013 09:27PM
I'll keep that in mind. We have several printers that are going to be in the build queue.

ABS is now running fine on the Prusa. I have some nylon that we will try once the form/fit test on the parts are done. Will have printed parts on an actual race car. :-)
July 14, 2013 02:19PM
has the prusa died died? no one is on here anymore
July 14, 2013 05:00PM
i think everyone is waiting for a newer revision of the nozzle. im having to set my prusa nozzle to one side. its been very hot and miss with PLA and ABS. Which pains me as the extrusion it kicks out is so neat it scares me but currently i only have 1 printer so its a nightmare.
mrc
July 14, 2013 08:15PM
im wondering why prusa doesn´t say anything to all that...
July 15, 2013 02:59PM
You mean the maker himself? Thats indeed a strange thing. I mean its double the price of a J-head nozzle so I had some expectations.
Maybe he's making rev.2.0 versions so he can replace our faulty ones.
July 16, 2013 06:15PM
I haven't seen any activity from Prusa around here myself? Also, on his Github it's not that busy, at least, it doesn't look busy there in his account, unless I am looking in the wrong place. Anyway, for me, that was one of the reasons not to go for this hotend.
July 17, 2013 07:31AM
Unlike with software development, you can rarely see ongoing hardware development on a Git(hub) repo. I tried that and it doesn't work out; people just download and build these internediate stages, then complain it doesn't work. So I had to remove everything between releases from the public repo.

I guess it's similar for other hardware developers.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

July 18, 2013 05:10AM
Looks like the product has been retired from the market, There's no stock everywhere!

And reprap source even deleted it from the catalogue...
July 18, 2013 02:46PM
This hotend is an example of how popularity will mask the true quality of a product. Sure it looks nice and all, but this hotend seems to fell short from it's hype with all the problems I've read.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2013 02:48PM by DanMoto.
July 18, 2013 03:04PM
Yeah, it definitely seems that way. As Nophead pointed out, it's surprising that some people have actually got it to work given its long transition zone. It seems to ignore common knowledge of all-metal hot end design that has been born out of the experimentation done by E3D, Nophead, Arcol, etc...

Eric
July 21, 2013 07:24AM
The thing that made me fall in platonic love of this hotend is how thin it is. It's wonderful for dual extrusion.

I'm designing a carriage to hold two of them, with a sh!tload of cooling to force that small transition zone. (at least I try).

Do you guys think it may work?
July 31, 2013 09:44PM
akhlut Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> OK, after examining the Marlin temperature.cpp
> file I realized that the auto-tune routine does
> not work below a certain threshold for PID_MAX.
> So for reference I'm running my heater cartridge
> at 24V. PID_MAX is set to 64. With this setting
> the nozzle heats up really, really fast. For
> example, it take about 40 seconds to go from 30C
> to 265C, with an overshoot of 10C to 275C.
>
> Auto-tune provided me with the following
> constants.
>
> Kp: 2.94
> Ki: 0.15
> Kd: 14.05
>
> Obviously these will need to be refined to
> eliminate overshoot, but they are a good start.
>
> Right now I've got natural ABS loaded into the
> machine. Typically I'm extruding this at 240C
> with very consistent results using a J-head. The
> PrusaNozzle really wants to run this at right
> around 270 ~ 275C. Now this may be my particular
> setup as I only have a single screw applying
> pressure to the hobbed bolt (ghetto, but I'm too
> lazy to change it until it breaks) which in turn
> limits the pressure I can apply to the filament.
>
> [i.imgur.com]
>
> But all in all I'm really liking the nozzle so
> far. I'm going to print out Dizingof's dragon
> bowl tomorrow to see how it does.
>
> But...I need to get up in 3 hours, so I have to
> end here.

Could you tell me what PID_max settings you are using? Or just copy and paste all your pid settings? I am having a huge heat overshoot. I have it tamed but my PID_max is at 10 which seems way to low to me.
August 01, 2013 09:21AM
I managed to get mine to work to be fair, but I actually attached a water cooling rig to it to get PLA to work... Haven't heard back from Prusa on e-mail in a while even though I got a quick reply initially.
August 01, 2013 09:49AM
jza,

I'm not sure right now as I'm at work. :/

But I'll report back tonight.

- akhlut

Just remember - Iterate, Iterate, Iterate!

[myhomelessmind.blogspot.com]
August 01, 2013 10:53AM
JP's alive and well on YouTube... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40id30dChnU
August 02, 2013 02:59PM
Hi there,

I just got my prussa nozzle 3 days ago. I have been trying to print PLA, but had pretty not luck. Nozzle was jamming almost instantinously after I started printing. After raeding through this forum and realizing that prusa nozzle realy suck I decided to improve it, so the top part of the nozzle stays pretty cold. I experimented with diferent heatsinks and eventually ended with heatsink made from the old processor heatsink. Also I added some RAM hetsinks on the side, so there is more area to dissipate heat. I also added two fans that comes with the nozzle. And so far it prints without jamming.

Mitch
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_1198.JPG (253.1 KB)
open | download - IMG_1202.JPG (377.4 KB)
open | download - IMG_1211.JPG (444.6 KB)
August 02, 2013 03:20PM
mitchnajmitch
That looks like a pretty good solution/hack. Turning it into an actively cooled all-metal hotend with a short thermal transition should make it work pretty well. It's starting to look like my early prototypes for the E3D all metal hotend!

Parallel evolution, like dolphins and sharks!
August 03, 2013 01:03AM
Sanjay are you the dolphin or the shark? winking smiley
Anonymous User
August 03, 2013 01:34AM
I'd hate to say I told you so. I love Joey bag a donuts, but It's just such an extravagant and impractical design. Stainless steel just isn't a good enough conductor of heat to justify the entire hot end being made out of it. You need softer metals; A, because they're a lot cheaper, and B, they are more efficient. The amount of watts needed to extrude filament shouldn't be so high. It's a sign of inefficiency.
August 03, 2013 01:26PM
You guys should really try out the EckerTech hot end, It works GREAT PLA prints great (if you have a fan) ABS also prints great also. Once I get my printer up and running(shorted my thermistorsad smiley) I'll try to post some pics once i get it going again
August 03, 2013 02:22PM
could someone tell me the process of replacing the heat cartridge? My problems are coming from the fact that the cartridge in my nozzle is for 12V and I really need one for 24V. You just can't turn down the settings enough to make things work.
August 03, 2013 03:12PM
I totally forgot about needing to post this the other day. Sorry about that jza.

// PID settings:
// Comment the following line to disable PID and enable bang-bang.
#define PIDTEMP
#define PID_MAX 64 // limits current to nozzle; 255=full current
#ifdef PIDTEMP
//#define PID_DEBUG // Sends debug data to the serial port.
//#define PID_OPENLOOP 1 // Puts PID in open loop. M104/M140 sets the output power from 0 to PID_MAX
#define PID_INTEGRAL_DRIVE_MAX 255 //limit for the integral term
#define K1 0.95 //smoothing factor withing the PID
#define PID_dT ((16.0 * 8.0)/(F_CPU / 64.0 / 256.0)) //sampling period of the

// Prusa Nozzle
#define DEFAULT_Kp 4.05
#define DEFAULT_Ki 0.3
#define DEFAULT_Kd 13.54

- akhlut

August 04, 2013 01:23PM
thanks akhlut
August 06, 2013 04:48PM
What a surprise all the shops that sold this nozzle are "out of stock" for weeks now. Reprapsource completely removed the product. Even his own geekshop.eu no stock. When I contact him I got an video of 5 prusa nozzles printing so the nozzle was great. Oh and if Im keep running into problems I should mail him that he can improve the nozzle for the future customers LOL whats in it for me???

Its just a faulty design. People have to use big heatsinks and I saw a guy using watercooling. For 75 euro's and when its made by prusa I had some expectations. The worst part is the "aftersales" he just don't care.

Im printing fine now with a J-head MkV.
PLA waiting for 30 minutes with heater on? No problem just extrude 5mm and your good to go.
August 06, 2013 05:15PM
Jo tweeted that the MKII version of the nozzle will be available soon. Hopefully at a discount for all of us beta testers. smiling smiley

- akhlut

August 06, 2013 05:51PM
Discount or not I'll pass this time. It wasn't that it didn't work it's that he disappeared after the initial reports started coming in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2013 05:53PM by vegasloki.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login