Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What do you print the most?

Posted by Trevarthan 
What do you print the most?
May 16, 2013 09:43AM
What do you print most often? Here are some possibilities I came up with. Chime in if any of these ring true, or if what you print most isn't on the list.

• Tiny furniture
  • Replacement plastic parts
  • Figurines
  • Toys
  • Parts for electronics projects
  • Gears
  • Reprap parts
  • Mechanical prototypes
Re: What do you print the most?
May 16, 2013 09:47AM
I'll go first. I think I print mostly:

parts for electronics projects
figurines
mechanical prototypes
May 16, 2013 12:29PM
I mainly print more parts for my printer. Not replacements, just addons lol
May 16, 2013 01:01PM
Lately it's been home repair. A knob for a couple of dead bolts that were missing at our new house. A shim for a trail-a-bike seat post clamp. A wedge to preload some cheap recurve bows for the kids. A coin op bottle opener for the need-for-speed contest. And then there are the Medical Physics prints. A holder for a lead sheet for the accelerator at the cancer center. A holder for some thermometers for my water tank. A clamp for a Farmer chamber for my 1D water tank for calibrating the above accelerator.
May 16, 2013 01:13PM
Mainly I print things like cats, dogs, elephants, etc.
May 16, 2013 03:38PM
cubes those damn 20 mm cubes, reason too warm up the printer before what I actually wont to print, and get the filament flowing, and I do it every time I change colour.to clear out the last colour.
May 16, 2013 03:42PM
Good point, I have waisted lots of filament just doing test prints, working on settings, etc.

jinx Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> cubes those damn 20 mm cubes, reason too warm up
> the printer before what I actually wont to print,
> and get the filament flowing, and I do it every
> time I change colour.to clear out the last colour.
May 16, 2013 04:23PM
I print parts mostly for other RepRaps. As well as pieces to show off at work, gifts, etc.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
June 21, 2013 08:26AM
I made a list of Taxonomies a few weeks back. Not complete by any means, but I thought it was interesting and in some ways enlightening:

Kitchen [pinterest.com]
Gardening [pinterest.com]
Music [pinterest.com]
Photography [pinterest.com]
Sewing (I combined Sewing, Weaving, etc) [pinterest.com]
Organizational Tools [pinterest.com]
Replacement Parts (One of my favorite categories) [pinterest.com]
Learning Aids [pinterest.com]
Tools [pinterest.com]
Plumbing [pinterest.com]
Medical [pinterest.com]
Bio Hacking Tools [pinterest.com]
June 21, 2013 10:25AM
-Parts for new printers and upgrades / spares
-Enclosures for electronics
-stuff to fidget with (I have many Emmet's gear bearings, planetary reductions, and cubegears)
-interesting models for my cube
-test & calibration prints
June 21, 2013 12:14PM
* Stuff i try to develop, like the soldering iron, also tried retractable pens a lot, but got tired of it. And a hand drill.(wip) Uses this method of holding drill bits, but i think i'll add slits to insert metal sheets to spread the force over more plastic.
* Lots of stuff to organize things, mostly on the plank above my desk.
* Figures, artsy stuff. Sometimes i feel that even if i made a plasma propulsion engine, a little statue would still be appreciated more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2013 12:16PM by Jasper1984.
June 22, 2013 01:37PM
Test prints.

Prototype parts to see if ideas for bigger parts will work.

Tablet stands. Can never have too many it seems.

Self designed gubbins.
The attached pic is a soldering vice I designed and built, and am quite proud of.. But as always, see loads of improvements I could make. It's way stronger than it needs to be.
I also knocked up a handy little spool holder that is screwed to the RepRap bench.

Hooks, brackets, octopusses..
The odd frivilous thing, like a pair of nautilus gears..

An every printer owner's most popular item.. Reject par Fridge magnets... Although without bragging, I do seem to be slowly reducing the number of duds as my CAD proficency goes up, and I learn to design with less chunky over engineered objects.

My main excuse for getting a RepRap was to print electronics enclosures, but so far, the only one I have made was a pretty dull box to hold a PWM fan speed controller that slots onto the top of my RepRap. Might help if I actually get as far as soldering up more projects.
Attachments:
open | download - 20130622_174046.jpg (270.6 KB)
June 22, 2013 03:06PM
[*] Replacement plastic parts
[*] Reprap parts
[*] Mechanical prototypes

And just some random interesting-looking things for friends. But for myself it's mostly functional items. I don't like un-functional stuff.
June 23, 2013 07:10AM
Mostly new reprap printer prototypes and parts, I normally have two working printers and one for sale.
If I ever get to the point where I didn't have a working printer I think I would go completely nuts.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
June 23, 2013 12:39PM
i mostly like flower prints.
June 23, 2013 01:44PM
I print parts for new printers, tooling fixtures (for a machine shop), Go-No Go gages, proof of concept prototypes, replacement parts (very few because the original parts never seem to break or wear out), toys & figurines for children (and shows), and 3D models for people learning how to do 3D modeling (kind of a bonus reward for learning how to model correctly).

I have found that people, especially children, start to push themselves to do better 3D models when they realize that they can own a physical model of their own designs. When I was a small child, my mom did a lot of baking from scratch. I didn't realize until much later that cakes could be purchased in boxes. It was important to her that children also knew how to make their own food. As such, whenever there were cakes, cookies, pies, casseroles, etc... we were allotted whatever ingredients and tools needed to produce our own. My favorite were cookies. It was quite amazing to be given your own edible modeling material (dough) and have no constraints as to what you could produce. With enough freedom, far more is possible than you can even begin to imagine. To that extent, these "entry level" 3d printers are hugely empowering. Even the most basic 3d printer now can produce fantastic things.

We live in a 3D world now, far more doors are opened to engineers, artists, animators, and designers if they can model their work in the computer. If you can physically produce those models, you are have even more value to possible employers or customers.
June 26, 2013 10:59AM
With enough freedom, far more is possible than you can even begin to imagine. To that extent, these "entry level" 3d printers are hugely empowering. Even the most basic 3d printer now can produce fantastic things. We live in a 3D world now, far more doors are opened to engineers, artists, animators, and designers if they can model their work in the computer. If you can physically produce those models, you are have even more value to possible employers or customers.

+1 BeeKeeper
Maybe my employment options will increase when I finally get my printer working right and modeling up to par.

So now I print mostly test objects and failed prints due to Y binding.
Yeah, I know, I'm working on it.

ISTAR Scope Club
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login