Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A difficult question

Posted by chris33 
A difficult question
May 20, 2013 03:28PM
How to get the missus involved and interested i have tried to show her the marvelous things you can make not just gadgets for men stuff but household items, just wondering how you won your missus over lol, (fair play she knows i am building one theres no hiding it lol) but just had enough off 'that damm 3d printer again thats all you care about'
Re: A difficult question
May 20, 2013 04:43PM
Well, my boyfriend... (ok just kidding), no I don't have a girlfriend yet (about time though... being 29 and all) BUT all the girls I meet going out and at my academy totally think it's awesome I built my own machine and print all this stuff with it.

Maybe it's just not something she's into?

However, theres a few things that come to mind, and I don't mean this in a childish way, but I have a friend that prints adult toys with his machine, thats one thing that I think is a lot of fun, though I don't know how 'safe' it is to insert any printed part ABS nor PLA inside ones body. Even drinking from a printed cup.

Then there are as you say it indeed some household items that you can print, like a bag holder like this one: [www.thingiverse.com]

To be honest, my girls would be a bit insulted if I would print the anything specifically for 'housewives', most girls I meet are trying to come across like independent girls and don't like kitchen gifts as they feel it emphasizes too much on that a woman's place should be in the kitchen.

I would look for hobbies that you can connect to this 3D printing.

The bottom line for me would be that you love eachother for who you are and you shouldn't try to change eachother, so she should love you for being a bit dorky and technical and she should be proud of you exploring hobbies instead of going out to chase around women in bars smiling smiley
May 20, 2013 09:00PM
For me, it's not important to share everything. I don't have a 3d printer yet but I have a cnc router and she thinks it's cool but will never use it.

If you want to develop a really strong relationship, find things to do that allow you to explore yourselves on your own but in a way that don't threaten the relationship by building too many external relationships. You know.... like 3d printing.
May 20, 2013 09:17PM
My wife is already excited, and I haven't even finished building it yet.

I just gave her some examples of fix it up stuff that I could make around the house and stuff.
Anonymous User
May 20, 2013 11:14PM
You people don't know anything about women. Just tell her you're not printing a gun and she'll be cool.
May 21, 2013 02:02AM
hi,
for me I was on a winner twisted vase in her favourite colour " and a rose for good measure ", she watched it being printed , now I just completed my second prusa i2.
jinx
PS
rose wasn't printed " shocker "
VDX
May 21, 2013 02:16AM
... my wife and the children can't await until I'll start with powder-SLS - they have a bunch of game-play figurines and some design ideas i have to print for them confused smiley

My first 'functionality'-test with 3D-scanning (the green+yellow figures) and SLS-printing ( the 4 in foreground) by shapeways was successfull in their wiew (a bit too coarse for me), so I'll have to assemble my own SLS-printer AFAIC eye rolling smiley

But tis is a sort of motivation-riser too -- so the SLS-theme is now slightly increasing in priority compared to the UV-3D-printing, what's much easier to accomplish and has better accuracy/resolution winking smiley - [forums.reprap.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2013 02:18AM by VDX.

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Attachments:
open | download - Wanderer-x6_kl.jpg (237.1 KB)
May 21, 2013 01:42PM
well i got my motors today and being a total newbie got my motor to turn, well it went back and forth with the test script i used, form being a newbie to everything that was good going i told my missus she was actually impressed so can't wait until its finished
May 21, 2013 01:58PM
Don't worry too much Chris, once you got it up and running she'll love it winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login