Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Finding Nema Stepper Motors

Posted by Crussell 
Finding Nema Stepper Motors
May 21, 2013 12:32AM
Is there a list somewhere of machines that might contain nema stepper motors (or other parts)? If not, does anybody think it would be a good idea to have one on the wiki? How useful do you think it would be?

For example:

Lexmark scanner/printer model xxxx-5555 contains 2 Nema 14 stepper motors
Canon copier model 777-xxxx contains 1 Nema 23 stepper motor

I'm trying to find new ways to locate used (or possibly new!) stepper motors without spending tons of time looking for them. I know that Ebay and other places have stepper motors but I thought a list would be nice in case I came across something that might have usable parts.

Thoughts anybody?
Re: Finding Nema Stepper Motors
May 21, 2013 04:32AM
I doubt, though can be wrong, that you will find much NEMA motors in today's office equipment. Those devices have been heavily cost optimized, and most likely will use dc motors with optical position sensing.
VDX
May 21, 2013 05:25AM
... I've seen/found the last NEMA-23 steppers in 24-needles-printer from NEC around 1988 or so ... some NEMA-17 steppers (200 and 400 s/r) were used as head-positioners in even older floppy drives or 'full-height'-harddrives ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
May 21, 2013 02:00PM
I have made a topic for this, but nobody really adds anything to it..

It can be found here:
[forums.reprap.org]
May 21, 2013 03:38PM
I'm not really limiting it to office equipment. Just anything really... and I was thinking a more specific list with model numbers and stuff like that.

VDX
... I've seen/found the last NEMA-23 steppers in 24-needles-printer from NEC around 1988 or so ... some NEMA-17 steppers (200 and 400 s/r) were used as head-positioners in even older floppy drives or 'full-height'-harddrives ...

Ill keep an eye out for these things! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Im thinking its the commercial type printing equipment thats mostly gonna have this kind of stuff. I got a buddy that works on that kind of stuff and I'm thinking about giving him a call and see if he can find any...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2013 03:45PM by Crussell.
May 22, 2013 07:16AM
What I find in recent printer models are typically "tin can"-type steppers:

In an Epson inkjet I found ones with four leads, which hints they're bipolar. Not sure wether the housing acts as another lead, though.

Technically I see no reason why these cheapo steppers shouldn't drive a 3D printer. All inkjets have a very fine resolution on the paper moving axis, so there has to be some fine resolution drive train inside, too.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

May 22, 2013 06:30PM
Traumflug Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> All inkjets have a very fine resolution
> on the paper moving axis, so there has to
> be some fine resolution drive train
> inside, too.

In case of HP PSC-1310 this "high resolution" drive train consist just of geared down (1x toothed belt, 1x plastic gears) DC motor with shaft encoder. I wonder what technical standard says, if some exist, about precision of paper feed axis. Maybe those claimed resolutions are valid only for lines that are printed during single pass of print head(s).
VDX
May 23, 2013 02:19AM
... I'm thinking, modern ink-jets use positioning feedback only for the head, that's moving left-right, while the vertical line position is only referenced once before starting with an optical paper-sensor and then only moved one-way, so mechanical play isn't a problem.

With older printers that can move the paper up and down too, this is mostly controlled with an encoder made from a slit-disk and two optical sensors (similar to old trackball- and mice-encoders)

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

May 23, 2013 02:47AM
Not to veer away from the subject, but has any one tried using something like an encoder/DC motor setup with a 3d printer? Could be another good idea...or at least a fun project spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
VDX
May 23, 2013 03:13AM
... there were 92 posts regarding "servo encoder" ... some of them about replacing steppers by servos or encoders for feedback in stepper-driven printers: [forums.reprap.org]

Viktor
--------

July 21, 2013 05:03PM
Look for old 5 1/4 floppy drives. They used NEMA 14s I think.
July 21, 2013 06:12PM
My still working 5.25 fdd is worth much more than NEMA14 stepper to me. smiling smiley And there is MSJE200A53. By quick check those working 5.25 fdd's go for $50-$60 on ebay, its vintage now...
January 30, 2015 08:17AM
Yes I too am in search of these engines. I've begun tearing apart old printers hard drives CD players in search of these stepper motors. Here I have started a list of the engines I find of each printer or by model and other such devices. [diysourcing.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login