Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Low cost 3D Printers

Posted by kncr20 
Low cost 3D Printers
May 21, 2013 06:30PM
Im triying to bring 3D printer to Dominican Republic a subsidize those printers to sell them under US$100 to do this i need international support beacause of the limited economical resources of my country and myself, this its a great oportunity for you to make a difference help me bring 3D technology to my country, please donate or share or both ;D
I have the support of Adrian Bowyer founder of RepRap, he gave me a possitive comment and also donate some to my cause.

To donate or share the project:
[igg.me]

PS: Sorry for my english.

Any sugestion or anything to say, please commet i will apreciated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2013 06:50PM by kncr20.
Re: Low cost 3D Printers
May 22, 2013 07:06AM
We're all poor guys here, but we're rich on experience and development resources! smiling smiley

Can we help with these?

[reprap.org]
[reprap.org]

I guess these are currently the cheapest designs. How well do they fit to the resources of your home country?

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

May 22, 2013 08:55AM
There is also this new one [reprap.org],
seems the designer is trying to reduce costs where he can.
May 22, 2013 09:50AM
Thanks guys for taking your time, i will considerate this models, here we are really limited in resources i will keep all post with updates about the project, the suppor is not just money good ideas worth more than money, and also you can share the project.
May 22, 2013 11:49AM
I'll give my standard advice to those needing help getting into RepRap. Get started. Most of the models you might be considering can be started on a shoestring budget. A Prusa I3 frame can be built with a sheet of plywood or MDF or anything available. Same with the Mendel 90. Metal rod isn't too expensive. Then show what you have built and ask for specific things to finish the build. There are likely quite a few people who would donate a few printed parts or older electronics that they had lying around unused if they knew specifically what you need.

In addition, I am working on the first beta testing batch of Sanguish electronics right now. The cost is $40 + S/H. If you don't have the money or if you are willing to wait, I will likely have some beta boards left over when version 1.0 comes out. If so I'll happily donate one or two to the cause.
May 22, 2013 12:46PM
Thanks for the support, i will follow your advice, and of course i will be really happy to be one of you beta testers, im not asking for specific parts because for example here its impossible to get all the electronics or even the rods, however i will follow your advice, ideas worht more than money.
May 22, 2013 02:13PM
Kncr20, you may find some smooth rods in old printers, scanners etc
May 23, 2013 10:14AM
I have gather 4 printers already and keep searching for more, im goin to buy a caliper to measure if they are 8mm rods on them. Thanks for the idea.
May 23, 2013 10:31AM
If you consider a delta printer with magnetic arms - there are are two strong magnets and three high quality bearings inside old computer hard drives.
May 24, 2013 09:57AM
Whats the size of those bearings?
mrc
May 24, 2013 10:15AM
you can use the belts and pulleys of Paper Printers.
Im not sure about the motors but they could work too...
May 24, 2013 10:31AM
Thanks for all the ideas

For donatios to de project:

[igg.me]
May 27, 2013 09:49AM
Thanks all for your support!
May 28, 2013 01:55PM
Has anyone tried to use parts from a 2d printer? If you for instance use one with scanner, there will most likely be 3 motors and a lot of electronic parts that can be salvaged. I have never tried this and are completely new to this. What kinds of trouble can i expect if I try that?
In general, is it best to have a moving bed or nozzle?
May 28, 2013 04:02PM
2d printers have lots of good parts. Micro switches, opto, motors (some are ok) My first reprap was made primarily from salvaged parts. Its a lot of wotk getting everything to work together but it can be done. If you look up Phoenix project in the cnc repstrap section on this forum you can find a guy who has made a lot of headway in this kind of development. Generally moving nozzle is better for faster movements etc. I prefer the bed moving in the y direction only which is used on a lot of current repraps. The original reprap was built where the z axis moved the bed up and down but was re engineered to move the print head in the z and x with the bed moving in the y dire tion. This change was done to eliminate early issues that they had in the development. More then likely you will want to build your repstrap in this fashion. If you look through my wordpress blog you will find a post about salvaging components to make a repstrap. Happy building.

--------------| For Everything |--------------------------
Check it out here:
[reprapsquad.wordpress.com].
---------| For Everything Prototype Related |------
Now featuring comp case mods:
[RepRapLab.wordpress.com]

--------------| Find us at Twitter|------------------------
@REPRAPSQUAD (RS Main)
[mobile.twitter.com]
@REPRAPSQUADHQ (ProtoLab)
[mobile.twitter.com]
May 31, 2013 01:05PM
Thanks fot all the comments, we have now the idea to build a really low cost printer now we need the resources, please donate [igg.me]
June 03, 2013 12:51PM
Please keep donating, so i can reach my goal.
[igg.me]
June 06, 2013 10:58AM
What design did you decide on?
June 06, 2013 11:19AM
Adrian Bowyer (not spelled correctly) Is also working on a similar project with a country as well. They are building repstraps out of old computer towers. Its a pretty cool little project and its definitely the cheapest platform ive seen for building printers. RepRap Squad members are donating their technical knowledge to this project and we would be willingto help your project as well. We think ddonations and helping people is very important as we run a foundation as well. Our foundation, (Printing A Future Foundation) helps teach classes and kids about 3d printers as well as gets donations to help get their own printer.

I would like to help where I can and I would also recommend that you check out Adrians project. It may help surve as a platform for your project. I wish you the best of luck on this endeavor. Our community should be able to help as it is important to help one another.

Check it out here:

@REPRAPSQUAD (RS Main)
[mobile.twitter.com]
[mobile.twitter.com]
June 08, 2013 07:04PM
A lot of talk about the frame and mechanics, but arent the control electronics a rather big portion of the cost?
June 08, 2013 07:18PM
A cheap control option is the L298n chip. You can find them complete on a board ready to use for about 2-3 $ per axis. If I remember you would need an arduino uno to control them. There is a guy that built a printrbot and used them as his controllers. I would look into it.

Check it out here:

@REPRAPSQUAD (RS Main)
[mobile.twitter.com]
[mobile.twitter.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login