Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The French forum doesn't work properly

Posted by gerard94 
Hello,

Until now, all has been right, but today I wanted to read the forum "RepRap Groupe d'utilisateurs francophones", and I found all messages truncated. What happens ? Could you, please, correct this. Thanks.

G
sai
Re: The French forum doesn't work properly
February 07, 2009 11:13PM
Test en français.
sai
February 07, 2009 11:27PM
Hmmm... this is very bad.

I had to upgrade MySQL (it was running a VERY old version that was becoming a problem for a few reasons).

There is a problem with character set support between the old and new versions of MySQL and it is causing strings to become truncated when it encounters something it doesn't expect, which basically means any extended latin characters (ie single byte accented characters and so on). It is related to UTF-8 conversions.

To compound the problem, I can't just revert to the old database version and a backup of the content because there has been quite a bit of activity since the upgrade that would be lost in the process. And that wouldn't solve the underlying impending database problems anyway.

This is a little bit of a surprise as it wasn't mentioned in any of the MySQL upgrade documentation unfortunately. There were a few other hitches I had to deal with too, which is why the upgrade took longer that expected. It appeared to be working, but obviously I missed this problem in my testing.

Hmmm...

I'm looking into it and have some ideas about how to resolve the problem but it could take some time and effort. If anybody else has some bright ideas, please chime in, I'm all ears.
sid
February 08, 2009 04:27AM
Hi since I pwr'd elsewhere I may add,
that it's nothing but the two subforums in french and german that are to be fixed.

Nothing too bad.
And nothing more is to be reverted (and nothing will get lost)
Not if done correctly that is winking smiley
You cannot loose much there, since the posts are already useless.

'sid
Thank you for your help.

Gerard (without acute e ;-)
sai
February 08, 2009 03:15PM
I hope to revive all of the currently truncated messages so you shouldn't lose anything if all goes well.
sai
February 08, 2009 03:30PM
Il devrait être correct maintenant.

You should be able to post new messages, and I will try and revive the older ones.
sai
February 08, 2009 03:42PM
Jen s některými testování náhodných text.
Lihtsalt katsetamiseks mõne juhusliku teksti.
Просто тестирование некоторых случайных текстов.
刚刚测试了一些随机的文本。
剛剛測試了一些隨機的文本。
ほんの一部のランダムなテキストを使ってテスト。
그냥 무작위로 문자와 함께 몇 가지 테스트를했다.
เพียงทดสอบกับสุ่มข้อความ.
فقط مع بعض التجارب العشوائية النص.
Deutsch und Französisch auch, denke ich.

Looks like things are working now. I think there is a minor issue with Arabic and bidi languages though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2009 03:52PM by Simon McAuliffe.
sid
February 08, 2009 08:26PM
Wow, that was fast; thanks alot!

'sid
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login