Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Moving in the Z axis

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Moving in the Z axis
May 29, 2007 08:23AM
The recent posting on the builders blog, on repstrapping with an old Sherline desktop mill has me wondering why isn
Re: Moving in the Z axis
May 29, 2007 10:02AM
Um... Tommelise is built in the way you suggest. It works fine.

[www.3DReplicators.com]
May 29, 2007 10:04AM
The Sherline/Bridgeport mill design, with the milling head going up and down (z axis), and the piece attatched to the x-y table, has good rigidity and low vibration, which is important in a mill you might be cutting steel with, but the x-y table takes up 4 times the space as having a head that moves in x-y. If we did that with Darwin, we'd have a (60cm+)by(60cm+) / (2ft+)by(2ft+) foot print, compared to the current (30cm+)by(30cm+) / (1ft+)by(1ft+) footprint.

Darwin's design is basically a gantry type mill, only with a dropping table. A dropping table is better if you can use it, since you're decoupling the z axis mechanism from the x-y axis mechanisms. Since we only move the table down in one print job, as opposed to bobbing it up and down as we would be in a cnc router, it's doesn't seem too hard to keep it flat. (I don't have my hands on a set of Darwin parts yet, but I think this is the case.)
May 29, 2007 10:47AM
"Since we only move the table down in one print job, as opposed to bobbing it up and down as we would be in a cnc router, it's doesn't seem too hard to keep it flat."

In practice you may find that that is not quite true. If you print a track of extrusion and then need to move to another part of the print you need to raise the print head (or drop the table in Darwin's case) for a distance to avoid dragging a hot extruder head across plastic that you've already printed and then drop it down to the current print level again.

This isn't a big deal, mind, but the z-axis gets used more in practice than you might imagine in theory.
Anonymous User
May 29, 2007 02:32PM
This is all really interesting... hopefully there will be more movies uploaded as devices are built, so I can see just how much movement there is on the Z axis.

The reason I'm asking is that I have the impression the CNC crowd would recoil in horror if presented with the Darwin design. I'm not so much interested in a self replicating machine, as interesting as that is, so much as I am a multi-purpose fabricator. So I'd rather just build one thing, rather than a series of ever improving things. (or hopefully a short series of ever improving things with big productive gaps in between)
May 29, 2007 03:44PM
The big difference between CNC mills and FDM is that a mill needs to be extremely rigid to handle the lateral force generated when the tool meets the workpiece. I learnt this the hard way. Darwin can get by with a cheap skeleton of rods because there is no force through the extruder barrel.

You can turn a CNC mill into an FDM machine by changing the head, but not vica versa.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2007 03:56PM by nophead.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
May 29, 2007 04:01PM
Right, but we should be able to design a bulky design made from plastic that looks like a generic desktop cnc routers but is made with lots of RepRapped parts. Such a machine should be able to do light aluminum milling.

However, right now, without a cheap 3D printer/cheap 3D printer feedstock, it would be expensive to develop, because it would take a lot of plastic to make. Something to worry about after the 1.0 release, maybe.

I daydream about the larger CNC routers that have a 4' x 8' (1.2 m x 2.4 m) workspace and can handle full-size plywood sheets. I wonder if it is possible to make on of those using a RepRap and commercially-sourced parts.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login