Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Infill does not fill whole layer

Posted by GoingForGold 
Infill does not fill whole layer
May 28, 2013 02:06PM
Hi!

I have problems with my infill, see the attached picture. In the picture, it already printed 3 layers. You can see the holes in it. What I think is remarkable, the holes are always at the same position, on every layer, which means that it is not a problem of lost steps (otherwise it would not hit the inner circle this perfectly). Of course, "regular" infill does not have to fill the whole layer, but - in my understanding - the top and bottom layer should be completely filled. I'm using repetier host and firmware and slice with slic3er. The settings is 0.4mm, the filament 3mm ABS. Layerheight is 0.2mm. It happens with every infill strategy, it just looks a bit different. Where could I look for the problem? Thanks!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2013 02:11PM by GoingForGold.
Re: Infill does not fill whole layer
May 28, 2013 02:28PM
Why don't you try to print another object to see how the problem looks there? Like a solid cube with 0.25 infill?

Maybe it's a retraction problem? Measure your filament, maybe it's thinner than 3mm. E-steps/mm calibrated?
May 28, 2013 02:30PM
Have you printed the calibration prints ,
You can find them at [reprap.org]

Please support W.Afate 3D printer project in Togo at [www.ulule.com]
May 28, 2013 02:32PM
I'm going to print a cube to show. I have calibrated the steps and measured the filament and made an average calculation (2.94mm).
May 28, 2013 02:47PM
I've found that my ABS was a little more sensitive to backlash than PLA. What I mean is that I had issues of infill not touching perimeters after switching from PLA to ABS. It turned out to be belts were not tight enough. This was not so apparent when I had been using PLA for so long and didn't show itself as a problem.

Try tightening your belts. They need to be tight enough to make a bass like 'twang' sound.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2013 02:49PM by HaniC.
May 28, 2013 10:35PM
Yes, looks like a traction problem there. As suggested above, make sure your belts are tensioned correctly
May 29, 2013 05:52AM
when I thought I couldnt tighten the belts more, I found a way to do so. Thighten while not on one of the bearings and push it on the bearing afterwards. This did the trick for me, thank you very much!
May 29, 2013 06:58AM
You're welcome and I'm glad it has resolved your issue. FYI and anyone else who happens to come across this topic, look into a dedicated belt tensioner upgrade for your printer type on thingiverse. It makes adequately tensioning belts a lot easier.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login