Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

EBM?

Posted by Trevarthan 
EBM?
June 12, 2013 08:21PM
I see an SLS discussion on this forum, but I don't see a section for discussing EBM. I learned about EBM a few days ago, and I read this page today: http://reprap.org/wiki/MetalicaRap:Tool_head_processes_discussion#SLS_vs_EBM

Are there plans for an EBM reprap? If not, why not? I'm really interested in EBM. I know vacuum chambers are more complicated.... but anything is possible....
Re: EBM?
June 14, 2013 03:30PM
Hi Trevarthan!

There are certainly plans fo an EBM reprap. EBM is being researched currently by the metalicarap (make sure to use one 'L' winking smiley ) project which is here on the reprap wiki: [reprap.org]

The metalicarap forum is located here: [forums.reprap.org]

If it is 3D printing in metal, I personally think SLS is more attainable. Constructing a high vacuum for the electron beam to travel in is a major technical challenge.
VDX
June 14, 2013 04:08PM
... you can read/contribute in the metalbot forum too: [www.metalbot.org]

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
June 14, 2013 07:05PM
Sorry for a bit offtopic..

EBM, ohhh one of my favorite musical genre's! <3

Ohwell, Electronic Body House Music (EBHM), as Dj Hell refers to it.
June 14, 2013 08:17PM
Just skimmed that wiki page. I didn't really see much in the way of diagrams or schematics. I guess the project hasn't gotten very far. Was that cost estimate 600 euros in metal powder and 600 euros in electricity to print a 300mm cube? Mind bogglingly expensive. I guess smaller objects are the clear winners.
June 17, 2013 03:18PM
Hazel1919
If it is 3D printing in metal, I personally think SLS is more attainable.

I'm starting to agree. Maybe a high power DIY CO2 Laser? I originally considered an array of laser diodes, but I think the individual unit cost of laser diodes is too high for the necessary power output.
VDX
June 17, 2013 04:49PM
... I'm buying IR-laserdiodes in counts around 220 Euros per 9Watts - with preheating the powder a single diode, focussed on a spot of 0.1 to 0.2mm is enough to start sintering.

But why everyone is so focussed on metal powder?

Why not start SLS or DLM with other powders like plastics or dark ceramics? - this can be done without gas shielding ... and with time, growing experience and price droppings for high power lasers the 'upgrading' to metal isn't a big problem anymore winking smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

June 17, 2013 04:54PM
That's probably a rhetorical question, but I'm interested in metals for lots of reasons. Jewelry, bicycles, robots, etc. My home 3d printer already does plastic passably. Metal just seems like the next level.
June 18, 2013 04:59PM
The project is only a couple of months in but already there are a few very interesting projects in the pipelines.

Maybe a high power DIY CO2 Laser? I originally considered an array of laser diodes, but I think the individual unit cost of laser diodes is too high for the necessary power output.

Both of these setups are being considered, Viktor is the guy to ask about multi laser beams winking smiley

3D Printing in metal will definitely open up a whole new world of possibilities... but there are applications for plastics (why do the pros use SLS over fused deposition modeling?). Printing with ceramic powders is equally exciting.

3D Metal Printing and more - visit [www.metalbot.org] !
VDX
June 18, 2013 05:07PM
... there are several groups around, trying to develop DIY- metal printers, so this will come with time winking smiley

I've done additive metal fabbing with different methodes and tools, but most of them weren't accessible for common tinkerers.

Will restart again soon with more DIY-able tools and available lasers -- see my article in the RepRap-magazine for some infos about sourcing and usability of laserdiodes ...

Have other lasers too with enough power for melting and evaporating any material, but will focus first on laserdiodes and some 'tricky' applications like laser-assisted etching or three-pass-sintering for home-brew metal works without needs of excess heating or Kilowatt-lasers winking smiley

Viktor
--------

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login