[www.thingiverse.com]

[www.matter-replicator.com]
Re: Nylon vs Nylon - strength test part Deux
June 18, 2013 04:40PM
ur my boy blue!

[aplusa3d.tumblr.com]
June 19, 2013 02:53PM
T645 broke. It was about 11% lighter though, so this test should be repeated with the extrusion multiplier set to about 12% higher, and then see if it still breaks first. My result so far seem to indicate that either the trimmer line is stronger, or within 12% of the strength of T645. I am not sure which.

June 19, 2013 06:39PM
Do realize note that taulman puts effort into consistency -indeed there are specifications and taulman researched safety.(thought i had another link to the same on his website, but too lazy to find it back) Whereas the trimmer line manifacturer aims at.. trimmer line.

I wouldnt assume the gases that come off are the same as 'just nylon', nor that they are the same across trimmer line bought at different times. If i'd do it i'd want some ventilation/suction..

This way, you only get 'which is stronger', not 'at what force'. Maybe make a thinner one and try see at what weight hanging from it it breaks.(careful about dynamic forces when putting the weight on..)
June 19, 2013 07:03PM
For sure, you can't use trimmer line to make medical implants.

The gasses thing is just not a concern for me any more than walking through a parking garage concerns me about carbon monoxide. The sample of another brand of trimmer line was about 1/100 needed to exceed Osha standards, and that is ONLY if your head is inside a small enclosed space, and ONLY if you keep your head in that space for more than 8 hours.

I have the temp set to 240C, which is not all that high.

So in order to be dangerous, three things would have to happen.

1 - The trimmer line I use would have to off gas at least 100 times more than the one he tested - which is breathtakingly unlikely, as it just does not have enough physical mass.
2 - You would have to stick your head in a small box with it rather than be in an open space.
3 - You would have to do that for more than 8 hours per day.

I am about to do another test with the two samples weight matched.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2013 07:05PM by rsilvers.

June 19, 2013 08:13PM
I completed the second test. This time I made sure that the weights were closely matched through control of the extrusion multiplier. 5.86 grams for the trimmer line and 5.93 grams for the T645. That is less than 1.2% difference. This time the T645 won. I set up tow straps with my Sequoia, and the samples did not break when I took my foot off the brake and let the truck creep forward. They just stopped the truck from moving! Then I gave more gas and the blue snapped. I bet these can support my weight many times over.

From these very limited sample points, it appears that the T645 is stronger, by at most about 9.7%.

June 21, 2013 10:25PM
ok i just got some too, its really flexible, it should make nice phone cases. Im going to dye it black though.\\

I wonder if it could used to make belts, its doesnt stretch really, and the belts could printed thick, after all half the belts say nylon reinforced, and are made from neoprene rubber.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2013 10:28PM by aduy.
June 21, 2013 10:50PM
Rsilver, can you share your printer settings?

layer height
temperature
nozzle diameter
printing speed
in-fill pattern

I was wondering if you can compare bigger diameter nozzle vs. smaller diameter nozzle prints?

thanks
grand
June 21, 2013 10:57PM
grand Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Rsilver, can you share your printer settings?
>
> layer height
> temperature
> nozzle diameter
> printing speed
> in-fill pattern

1. 0.3175mm
2. 240C as reported by Printrbot.
3. 0.40mm
5. 30mm/sec perim, 45 infill.
6. Concentric.

June 22, 2013 01:30AM
Thanks, it's interesting looking at the way the two pieces broke. 645 break looks much cleaner in comparison to the trimmer line print. I wonder if the trimmerline failed from delaminated before shearing apart. Just thinking out loud, I wonder if a cross hatch in-fill pattern might fair better for the trimmer line of the same weight.
June 22, 2013 01:34AM
well the trimmer line is not the correct diameter, 1.65 instead of 1.75 or 1.8, its harder to control the flow if you aren't actively cooling the hot end.
June 22, 2013 02:31AM
visually, it also looks like 645 bonded better than trimmer line.... anyways all just speculation, sample size still small.
June 24, 2013 03:06AM
ok so after starting a print in this trimmer line, its very apparent that it needs to be dried quite a bit, infact a lot more than anyone has probably done, you can see it actually expands so much as its heated, at least a lot more than the taulman. thats why there are little swirls on the pieces and why they arent dark blue.
June 24, 2013 03:39AM
Total newb question, I just finished my Mendelmax 2 and have printed 4 pieces so all this is fairly new.... Why nylon? I get the relationship between ABS and PLA, where does nylon rank in terms of strength and other properties? Can it be printed with a J-head hot end or does it need a different type?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2013 03:41AM by Acro2Pilot.
June 24, 2013 08:26AM
Parts made from Nylon are stronger then parts made from ABS or PLA. They can be colored after the print using textile colors, so you just need natural Nylon, not colored variants. Bendy / springy parts aren't a problem, the surface is hard and kind of slippery, which makes it a good choice for siliding parts.

It's kind of hard to get Nylon to stick on something, it tends to warp a lot more than ABS does. It needs higher temperatures, I have no idea if a J-Head can handle it - you should be able to reach 240 degrees Celsius or better more. Probably not the best material for a beginner.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login