Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Convert SCAD to Solidworks?

Posted by tomas02 
Convert SCAD to Solidworks?
June 22, 2013 12:03AM
Hi,
I'm new to 3d printing (still waiting on parts to arrive to build my prusa i3)
I'm experienced with Soidworks and prefer to use that over openscad as it makes sense to me.
Is there any easy way to get dimensions from a scad file as I'd like to redraw some parts into solidworks so I can modify them comfortably.
But STL's import terribly into solidworks as they are a mesh not a solid.
Any one have any advice?
Thanks Tomas
Re: Convert SCAD to Solidworks?
June 22, 2013 12:18AM
Hi Tomas,

The fact is OpenSCAD is really an odd beast that is incompatible with mainstream CAD software. The reason is mainly the choice of no real geometric kernel to speak of but CGAL and OpenCSG software libraries for geometric computation and screen rendering. OpenSCAD does not export to standard CAD formats like STEP or IGES.

One possible way would be to use the open source software FreeCAD. Since v0.13 it has an OpenSCAD module that allows it to import OpenSCAD files in .scad or .csg formats. It is still experimental though, and some OpenSCAD features are not supported so results will vary depending on the file. I've had some files open perfectly, others open with some geometry errors, and then some that failed to load.

OpenSCAD needs to be installed for the module to work in FreeCAD.

Once the OpenSCAD file is loaded in FreeCAD, you can export it to STEP which can then be imported in SolidWorks.

FreeCAD can also convert STL files to solids. They will still have polygonal facets but at least will be editable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2013 12:20AM by NormandC.
June 22, 2013 12:38AM
Thanks Normand
I will give that a try
June 22, 2013 01:34AM
Got it to work perfectly and with minimal effort.
>Export as CSG from OpenSCAD
>open CSG in FreeCAD
>Save as STEP File
>Open STEP in Solidworks and save as Solidworks Part.

Can now be edited and used in solidworks Assemblies
June 22, 2013 12:52PM
Great!

Glad I could help. smiling smiley
June 23, 2013 05:12PM
I've been importing .STLs into Solidworks and using the Feature Recognition function in Solidworks to convert the STL mesh into editable parts. Typically takes a long time for the computer to crunch through and I have to reduce the number of feature types in Feature Recognition to get things to work. This might be only in Solidworks Premium (not sure). And it's far from perfect, sometimes doesn't work and when it does parts are kind of a mess.

I'll have to try the FreeCad methods. Sounds interesting.
June 23, 2013 06:19PM
I don't use Solidworks - but I found this : [grabcad.com]

Would that work? What are the issues with creating a solid from an STL (as long as it doesn't have any degeneracies or self intersections)?
June 23, 2013 08:30PM
That method doesn't work for me because it adds all the triangles in, doesn't come out as nice as the guide shows
June 24, 2013 04:18AM
I see, so it's not the fact it's polygonal that's the issue (rather than splines or whatever), but that all facets are split into triangles?
June 24, 2013 04:24AM
Yea it means I can't use it in assembly's or modify it easily. Free cad method is very easy and quick and only made one error which was easily fixed in solidworks
June 20, 2015 12:43PM
Current version of FreeCAD (v0.15) will import SCAD files happily. If you have no $fn references, cylinders and circles will be treated like that and you will get facet-free cylinders/circles on FreeCAD. You can later export to STEP format to spread the joy to Solid Works or other CAD software.
April 29, 2016 05:17PM
SolidWorks CAN open STL files as Solids. The default is not to open as a solid so you have to make a change.

Go to OPEN to get the OPEN dialog box.
In the bottom right hand corner under file type , select STL
An OPTIONS button pops up. Select the button.
Select Solid Body
Open your file.
April 30, 2016 02:52PM
You are missing the point hahcutt.

Maybe you can convert STL files into solids in SW, but I am betting that it keeps all those tens to thousands of triangular facets. Simply because that's how a mesh is constructed, contrarily to a real solid CAD model.

That's what Tomas meant when he wrote
tomas02
But STL's import terribly into solidworks as they are a mesh not a solid.

For reference see Polygon mesh VS. Boundary representation (B-rep).

In CAD a mesh model is nothing but a garbage out format.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2016 02:53PM by NormandC.
May 11, 2016 03:35PM
Thank you very much for the detailed workflow NormandC!
I am always happy if people provide STEP or now SCAD files because minor customizations for own needs are often required.
May 20, 2016 02:32AM
Hi,

i really hope and appreciate if anyone able to convert this file from scad to STep or Igus, i follow the step in the forum but none of it work. can anyone please advise me on this one?
Attachments:
open | download - scad.zip (19.9 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login