Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wanting to build the tricolour mendel?

Posted by idvad 
Wanting to build the tricolour mendel?
June 24, 2013 08:01PM
Hello;

I would like to start saving and collecting the parts needed to build the reprappro tricolour mendel.
The reprap wiki says the the tricolour mendels be initially assembled as "mono mendels".
I would like to know which mendel build on the reprap wiki site is the mono mendel as it does not list any of the mendels as "mono mendel". As there are different ones and the tricolour apparently is specific to the mono mendel.

If someone could tell me which mendel it is as well as the link, so that I can start to source the parts and kits, would be much appreciated.

Thank you so very much.
Re: Wanting to build the tricolour mendel?
June 24, 2013 08:36PM
The RepRapPro "mono" Mendel is simply the Tricolor Mendel assembled with a single filament drive and extruder. After initial assembly as a "mono" printer, you add the remaining two drives and extruders.
June 24, 2013 10:34PM
What mendel would you say would be the least expensive and efficient to build to adapt it to the tricolour. I am trying to keep simplicity and cost in order here.

Thank you for your recommendation.
June 25, 2013 04:32AM
For the RepRapPro machine there is no different mendel to build you build it as a single filament and can add the others whenever you like.

Both the current tri colour mendel and the previous model look to be the same in terms of building and possibly easier with the new one as the guys do like to enhance their designs as they go.

Ben
June 25, 2013 02:07PM
idvad Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What mendel would you say would be the least
> expensive and efficient to build to adapt it to
> the tricolour. I am trying to keep simplicity and
> cost in order here.
>
> Thank you for your recommendation.

Idvad,

To be clear, you seem to be confusing RepRapPro with the generic term RepRap. RepRapPro is a company selling their flavour of RepRap, and they sell it as a mono, but upgradable to tricolour kit. A key point is that Adrian Bowyer (the "father" of RepRap) is associated with RepRapPro which might be part of what is causing the confusion. I would presume that their upgrade kit is designed to specifically work with their printer, but of course there is nothing to stop you from leveraging the information they put out there to upgrade a different kit to tri-colour (I will be trying this with a Mendel 90).

The catch with going this route is that you have to figure things out yourself and don't get the support, so while a kit from someone else may appear cheaper at first glance, you need to factor in the time you spend trying to figure out any issues. Of course, you may value your free time at less than your cash, so then you are better of trying cheaper options, but you do then risk incompatible solutions.

Regards,
Craig
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login