Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Google sketchup = very large prints

Posted by dmglakewood 
Google sketchup = very large prints
June 29, 2013 06:56PM
I'm using google sketchup to create my 3d items. The problem I'm having though is that all my items come out larger then I drew them in google sketchup. I draw them using inches and then export an stl in mm. I then use slicer and print the object.

I created a floor drain that was supposed to be 6 1/4" wide and it was 6 3/4". The larger the prints the further off the sizes are. Can anyone explain to me why this is happening and how to fix it? Is it a program error or is it maybe a machine calibration error?

Thanks
Re: Google sketchup = very large prints
June 29, 2013 07:09PM
this issue rings a bell but its not coming to mind, if you made a test cube in mm dose it still do it.?

if you are using slicer check to see if you are scaling it your settings.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
June 29, 2013 07:25PM
I always get an issue with sizing using sketch, and as yet not sure how to solve it.

But I do have a work around.

Once complete open the item in netfab studio (free version). Measure a known length, and use the following webpage to easily find out how much the object needs to be scaled by. Pump that value into netfab scale option, then export and you are all ready to go.

h t t p://makemycalculator.com/Scale-factor-calculator-06281234.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2013 07:26PM by twisted.
June 29, 2013 07:38PM
i have never had that issue, but then again i design in mm from the get go so maybe that has something to do with that,

twisted what value do you normally get when you scale it.? or dose it change each time.?

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
June 29, 2013 09:29PM
It's due to the conversion from mm to inches. If I bring stl files into my 3D program (Lightwave) I scale them by .0001 and they come in exactly the right size.
June 29, 2013 11:01PM
Okay I started a new project in sketchup this time in mm and I created the same object. I then took it into netfabb to make sure the stl is good to go. Brought it into slicer and then printed it out. The object is still the same large size it was when I was using inches. Something seems off to me, I'm just not sure where to even start.
June 29, 2013 11:02PM
hmm try importing a object from thingiverse then print it to see if the size is the same

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
June 29, 2013 11:04PM
I printed this thing yesterday and the nickle fit inside the circle piece perfectly. So it seems that the issue lies within google sketchup or netfabb

[www.thingiverse.com]
June 29, 2013 11:07PM
maybe you imported it under the wrong unit then.?

i use sketchup my self for a lot of things and i dont run into that trouble. but your milage may very

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
June 29, 2013 11:15PM
I've had a similar problem and just scale the stl's by dividing by 25.4 in slic3r before slicing. No problem.
June 29, 2013 11:21PM

Sketchup and netfabb both report the image at the correct size but pronterface as you can see reports something different.

Edit: I guess this forum doesn't show wide images. If you right click on them and choose view image you will be able to see the numbers I highlighted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2013 11:22PM by dmglakewood.
June 29, 2013 11:22PM
did you check your scale size when you made the gcode.?

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
June 29, 2013 11:26PM
I have the scale set to 1 in slic3r

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2013 11:26PM by dmglakewood.
June 30, 2013 12:47AM
Hmm that is a very old version of Slic3r. Wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Maybe post the STL for us to look at.
June 30, 2013 01:38AM
I just used the slic3r that came with my pronterface. I'm going to test out the new slic3r. So far it looks 100 times better then how it used to look. Hopefully the results are noticeable as well.
June 30, 2013 01:46AM
Okay so when I load the stl file into slic3r and double click on the image it says it's the right size. When it exports the gcode and I load it into pronterface it somehow enlarges the size. Anyone have any ideas on that?
June 30, 2013 01:56AM
Are you using a brim and skirt.? That will change the print size

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
June 30, 2013 02:08AM
I thought about that too. When I had the skirt it said it was 172mm and when I removed the skirt it still said 172mm
June 30, 2013 10:46AM
This sounds weird. +1 on using a newer version of Slic3r.

Adding a troubleshooting test: Does the same thing happen when you send it through Netfabb Could Services? [cloud.netfabb.com]
June 30, 2013 02:07PM
Netfab cloud has been down for me for over a week. It keeps saying they will be back shortly.
July 02, 2013 10:42AM
I'd say its a conversion error somewhere...

Model the item in mm, and try again...

And yes, try the newest Slic3r.

--------------------------------------------------------
Custom all metal CoreXY
- Duet 2 Wifi w/ PanelDue 7i
- 330mm x 360mm x 500mm
- 750w Silicon heater

Custom Mendel90
(Backup printer - Old reliable!) - Sold
July 02, 2013 02:49PM
I tried the new slicer as well as redoing the whole model in mm and it's still giving me the same issues =/
July 02, 2013 03:59PM
Willing to upload the STL file?

--------------------------------------------------------
Custom all metal CoreXY
- Duet 2 Wifi w/ PanelDue 7i
- 330mm x 360mm x 500mm
- 750w Silicon heater

Custom Mendel90
(Backup printer - Old reliable!) - Sold
July 02, 2013 04:36PM
I can see in your slic3r image that the part is only 160mm wide ( look at the 10mm grid )
If you include the skirt, it is 172mm
July 05, 2013 12:30AM
I have a similar problem when exporting STLs from AutoDesk Inventor. I draw the objects in mm and when I export them as STLs they are consistently 10x smaller than my original object confused smiley. I can easily scale them in Repetier but it is still really annoying.

I bet there is some setting either in the CAD program (Inventor in my case) or in the host software that governs this. I just have to find it...

Eric
July 05, 2013 02:42AM
If your STL is 10x smaller than the orignal object then you are working in centimeters (cm) and NOT milimeters (mm).
1 mm = 1/10 cm

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
July 05, 2013 12:47PM
@Bob

I spend a lot of time drawing parts in Inventor and I NEVER work in cm. I know it looks that way since everything is scaled 10x smaller, but mm are the only units I use. I am absolutely sure of this. My only explanation was that it must be a scaling setting somewhere in Repetier. But then again, I only have this problem with Inventor STLs, so it must be an STL export setting confused smiley

I'll look into this...

Eric
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login