Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ABS Mouthpiece Safety after Vapor Bath

Posted by dellagd 
ABS Mouthpiece Safety after Vapor Bath
July 07, 2013 11:40PM
I just printed out a trombone mouthpiece out of ABS. It sounded ok, so I figured Id acetone vapor bath it. I did, and now with the smooth surface I think it sounds a bit better.

After the bath, is the part still safe to have on my mouth? Is any of the acetone "trapped" in the surface making it irritate skin or toxic?
Re: ABS Mouthpiece Safety after Vapor Bath
July 08, 2013 12:09AM
From the acetone wiki:

Health information
Inhalation of high concentrations (around 9200 ppm) in the air caused irritation of the throat in humans in as little as 5 minutes. Inhalation of concentrations of 1000 ppm caused irritation of the eyes and of the throat in less than 1 hour; however, the inhalation of 500 ppm of acetone in the air caused no symptoms of irritation in humans even after 2 hours of exposure. Acetone is not currently regarded as a carcinogen, a mutagenic chemical or a concern for chronic neurotoxicity effects.

I think you'll be fine.
July 08, 2013 03:07AM
If it were me, I would wash it once in hot soapy water then I would not worry about it. But then again I have been known to do stupid things grinning smiley
July 08, 2013 03:40AM
Acetone is even one of the results of human digestion, so the body can deal with it. Worst case you'll get a smelly breath.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

July 08, 2013 05:02AM
Just remember, that industrial grade acetone may itself contain contaminants from manufacturing process.
July 11, 2013 01:38AM
ABS is not generally a food-grade material to start with. If you buy Chinese filament, there's no telling what they made it from......regrind with untold wastes in it. I don't know what your mouthpiece does or how long it will be in your mouth, but you should put it in a warm place, 100F or so and let it bake for a day or two. The FDM part is very porous and the acetone will wick all through it. It will then soak right into the ABS, making it soft to some degree. So, it takes a bit to drive out the excess. It takes a lot of acetone to hurt you. Just think of all those chinkydinks in the nail parlors, huffing gallons of acetone every day. And OSHA doesn't seem to get jiggy over it at all.
July 11, 2013 03:35AM
Just dont place it too hot too early.. I tried this to speed up the drying process, and I ended up with boubbles in the surface from acetone that was stuck inside the part.
July 11, 2013 09:35PM
it can also warp severely, but i found that after it warped, i could heat it up slowly with a hot air gun and it would return to the shape in which it was printed, sort of like a memory.
July 12, 2013 09:59AM
I think eating a sandwich is just as dangerous winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login