Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pronterface can't talk to Sanguinololu

Posted by newbrap 
Pronterface can't talk to Sanguinololu
July 08, 2013 08:06AM
Hi all,

Just finished building up my Prusa i2 to a basic level and wanted to test out the interface and motors. The problem I'm getting is that Pronterface can't communicate with the Sanguinololu and tells me it could be an issue with the Baud rate? I have checked and set the baud rate for the interface (Com 3) in Windows 7 (32bit) at 9600,n,8,1 and the same settings in the Pronterface software.

The printer does not have the heatbed, extruder or thermistors connected at the moment. The printer makes a small 'clunk' when power is applied without the usb lead connected but if connected the motors are not powered at all.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Nick.
Re: Pronterface can't talk to Sanguinololu
July 08, 2013 04:37PM
Ok, I sussed out that the baud rate was way off! The port had set itself up at 9600,n,8,1 but really needed to be set at 250000,n,8,1? I now can move the x, y and z axis using Pronterface.

Now I have a different set of issues - the z axis works properly and stops when it hits the z endstop, but the x and y go off in the wrong direction when told to go to their home positions. I have checked the cables and connectors for both axis and all appears to be correct. If anyone can help me on this issue I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers,

Nick.
July 08, 2013 05:04PM
You need to adjust the end stop settings in configuration.h of your firmware
July 08, 2013 05:30PM
Thanks for the response Miles,

Being a complete and utter noob at this, how do I do this? Do I have to upload a modified file to the sanguinololu?

Cheers,

Nick.
July 08, 2013 05:49PM
Correct, you need to change the settings in configuration.h.
You can do this with Arduino software, check which version you need for your board and firmware.
The files you need will be on github I think

Edit, this page may be useful if you are using Marlin, [reprap.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2013 06:01PM by Myles.
July 09, 2013 10:41AM
Home is where the heart is.

Troubleshooting a homing problem can be tricky. Here are alist of things that could have gone wrong.

1. One or more axes were built backwards (I've seen this twice already).
2. The end stop is installed at the wrong end of the axis.
3. The stepper motor wires are in reverse order. If you have reverseable connectors on the electronics, you can just flip the connector around to correct this.
4. The HOMING DIRECTION setting in your firmware is set to MAX, instead of MIN, or vice versa. Each machine design has a different home position that is preffered.
July 10, 2013 08:02AM
It looks like I may have the homing direction inverted for 2 of the axis. I have been following the i2 build manual found elsewhere on this site so I know everything should be positioned where it should be. This is quite a steep learning curve for me and I am grateful for all your help and assistance! I don't think this'll be the last time I'll have questions so I know at least there's help out there.

Cheers,

Nick.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2013 04:28AM by newbrap.
July 10, 2013 04:20PM
Ha! Moved the y and x endstops to the opposite sides - now stops at the home positions on all axis.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login