Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

2 color prints

Posted by hitman1131 
2 color prints
July 11, 2013 07:23AM
i've been looking at the option of 2 color 3d prints, im using ramps so i have the extra driver for another extruder and run marlin firmware.

my question is how to you draw a multi color stl file?

i currently draw my 3d images in google sketchup would i have to find a new software for this?

cheers, ash.
Re: 2 color prints
July 11, 2013 11:03AM
You have to split it into multiple STL's I belive.

Ben
July 11, 2013 02:14PM
I don't think that STL files can have multiple colors. I remember reading that someone was coming up with a new type of STL file that could have colors.

Even if you did, that would only be have the challenge, the slicer program would have to be able to take those multiple colors and translate it to the exturder in the gCode
July 11, 2013 02:34PM
STL is physical information only.

There is no material or color information within the format.

You would require a different format.

Currently if you want to do multiple colours, I think you have to edit the GCODE by hand.
July 11, 2013 04:08PM
I think plexer is right, you need multiple STL's that get combined. Then in Slic3r you can choose an extruder per model.

The caveat, I presume, is that the two STL's must share the same coordinate system, how you achieve this I don't know! You can do this in parametric CAD programs like Solidworks (multiple bodies), but I would assume not Sketchup. Getting them to share the same coordinate system in Slic3r may be tricky but it must be doable?

Seems like not too many people are playing with multi-colour prints, but I guess a fair few are using dual extruders for support and infill..

AVRKire - the format you mention is probably AMF.
July 11, 2013 07:05PM
There are > 200 files that are dual extrusion / 2 color on Thingiverse:

[www.thingiverse.com]

RepG can accept 2 STL files and will generate and merge the gcode automatically. Works easily.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login