Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bre Pettis does Mazda ads.

Posted by Dark Alchemist 
Bre Pettis does Mazda ads.
July 16, 2013 03:05PM
Wow, hmmm, okay. :/

This is from the July, 2013 issue of Wired magazine and when I just went to the website in the ad all I saw was more ads for Mazda cars. I wonder how much he was paid for the ad and if there is a media blitz? [edit]The sucker is a two page ad too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2013 03:06PM by Dark Alchemist.

_______
I await Skynet and my last vision will be of a RepRap self replicating the robots that is destroying the human race.
Re: Bre Pettis does Mazda ads.
July 18, 2013 12:30PM
all i could think for that picture was:
he looks like the nerd version of wolverine.

don't care what he does or how much he earns.
if they take make an add with Adrian i'll be impressed ;-)
July 18, 2013 01:05PM
Exactly but the thing is Bre is so much into himself that he reminds me of Vanity Smurf. Seriously, I only saw them mention Makerbot but when I went I never saw anything about it. Maybe I missed it, or maybe the ad was faster than the web designers, but all I saw were about Mazdas.

One day Bre will fall and the masses will rise.

_______
I await Skynet and my last vision will be of a RepRap self replicating the robots that is destroying the human race.
July 18, 2013 01:16PM
Is this a 'Jump the Shark' moment?

- akhlut

Just remember - Iterate, Iterate, Iterate!

[myhomelessmind.blogspot.com]
July 18, 2013 01:30PM
I always suspected as much...."Bre Pettis is a Wankel!"

Helium Frog Website
July 18, 2013 03:27PM
Dark Alchemist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One day Bre will fall and the masses will rise.

Are you kidding? Bre is fantastic. He's been a driving force behind the industry we are all benefiting from.

I don't see the tie in with Mazda either but they make some great cars so it's cool with me.
July 18, 2013 05:16PM
More like the PR face of the industry?
From what I read, most of Makerbots developments are actually made by their community and pre closed sourcing also by the RepRap community.
E.g. their host software is running skeinforge in the background if they didn't change that already.
Even their user support seems to be mostly managed by a google group of more experienced Makerbot users.
July 18, 2013 07:05PM
uGen Wrote:
> More like the PR face of the industry?
> From what I read, most of Makerbots developments
> are actually made by their community and pre
> closed sourcing also by the RepRap community.
> E.g. their host software is running skeinforge in
> the background if they didn't change that
> already.
> Even their user support seems to be mostly managed
> by a google group of more experienced Makerbot
> users.

Exactly. I despise Bre with a passion and I will tell you he and I got into a heavy argument over on Thingiverse and when it was all said and done I appologized. No, what I said was not wrong but I felt I might have been out of line in a few of the things I said and was with one thing I said. He never responded so I figure he is a waste of flesh and with Makerbot being a huge ripoff of the open source RepRap and with what happened when they decided they made enough money and shoved Adrian under the bus and the entire Open Source community with him, all for the greed of money after using the OS community to get to that point, I can say he is pretty much scum.

_______
July 18, 2013 08:55PM
i cant say that i am nearly the fan i was of Bre. i do feel like he sold reprap out. i am still looking for a good alternative to thingiverse, but nothing out there has that level of polish yet that i can send people too.

i can understand why he did what he did, but i still feel like he did through reprap under a very larg bus.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
July 18, 2013 09:36PM
Diss, I wish I could understand but all I can see was his greed and narcissism.

As far as Thingiverse goes I no longer use it but, then again, I no longer use anything because the old Thingiverse was just the thing I loved but the new one looks over done and works like a cow, imo. All glitz, and narcissism, is all Thingiverse is about these days. Sort of like Bre is playing God for his own narcissistic reasons.

_______
July 18, 2013 10:10PM
Bre is just a confidence man.

He sold Hoeken out.

He sold Makerbot out.

Now he's just selling himself out.

DA, I couldn't agree more about Thingiverse. It's bloated and pretty useless at this point.

@ Tom Brown, you have a lot of reading to do. Bre is a parasite.

- akhlut

July 18, 2013 10:29PM
akhlut Wrote:
> DA, I couldn't agree more about Thingiverse. It's
> bloated and pretty useless at this point.

I am fairly new to the community ( few months), so maybe I do not see it. But thingiverse seems to still be useful. Especially since nothing else exists that can take it's place (pirate bay is just not well organized enough, and never will be)

Maybe its one of those "good ole days" things that a whipper-snapper like me just can't understand ;-)
July 18, 2013 10:34PM
lol 1013 you just proved my point, but i did like the old thingiveres too.

i just don't have a better place to send people yet.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
July 18, 2013 11:02PM
dissidence Wrote:
> lol 1013 you just proved my point, but i did like
> the old thingiveres too.
>
> i just don't have a better place to send people
> yet.
Exactly why I don't use anything. I left my old work up on Thingiverse but when the changes were made I ceased to use it or anything else and if the community can't come up with something as good as the older Thingiverse then I am sad. I am sure some great mind out there will come up with one and have the resources to make it happen but when I have no idea.

_______
July 18, 2013 11:04PM
Is it already time for another bash-Makerbot thread? It seems like we just had one...

For those who are new around here, every few months we get whipped up into a frenzy about how horrible Makerbot is. It is important for you to know that most of this hysteria is fomented by only a very few individuals. winking smiley

We all seem to put a lot of stock into the words of Adrian Bowyer. Why don't we remember something he said in the midst of one of the previous anti-Makerbot episodes:

Adrian
I try to refrain from commenting on many many things here and similar elsewheres - I think that people attach far too much weight to all I say. Most people (certainly including me) have strong opinions about what should, or should not, be done in the world. But I like to remind myself that (again like most people's) my opinions are worth 0. I have no idea what's for the best, and nor does anyone else. Not one among the seven billion.

So I try instead to do something useful: to find out empirical facts and to make logical deductions and to tell people those instead. I like to imagine that that allows me some sort of glimpse of what might happen, as opposed to what I'd like to happen. What I'd like to happen is worthless. But a glimpse of what might happen has, perhaps, a little utility.

But forgetting all that for the moment, can I set a challenge for people who have been reading all these MakerBot-prompted discussions more diligently than I? Can you find a single genuinely new idea in any of them? If you can, I would really be interested to follow the URL.
July 18, 2013 11:05PM
i think the hardest part is the money though. for long term stability it should be able to stand on its own 2 feet so to speak.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
July 18, 2013 11:35PM
MattMoses Wrote:
> Is it already time for another bash-Makerbot
> thread? It seems like we just had one...
>
> For those who are new around here, every few
> months we get whipped up into a frenzy about how
> horrible Makerbot is. It is important for you to
> know that most of this hysteria is fomented by
> only a very few individuals. winking smiley
>
> We all seem to put a lot of stock into the words
> of Adrian Bowyer. Why don't we
> [url=http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?1,155484,15
> 5987#msg-155987]remember something he said[/url]
> in the midst of one of the previous anti-Makerbot
> episodes:
>
> [quote=Adrian]
> I try to refrain from commenting on many many
> things here and similar elsewheres - I think that
> people attach far too much weight to all I say.
> Most people (certainly including me) have strong
> opinions about what should, or should not, be done
> in the world. But I like to remind myself that
> (again like most people's) my opinions are worth
> 0. I have no idea what's for the best, and nor
> does anyone else. Not one among the seven
> billion.
>
> So I try instead to do something useful: to find
> out empirical facts and to make logical deductions
> and to tell people those instead. I like to
> imagine that that allows me some sort of glimpse
> of what might happen, as opposed to what I'd like
> to happen. What I'd like to happen is worthless.
> But a glimpse of what might happen has, perhaps, a
> little utility.
>
> But forgetting all that for the moment, can I set
> a challenge for people who have been reading all
> these MakerBot-prompted discussions more
> diligently than I? Can you find a single genuinely
> new idea in any of them? If you can, I would
> really be interested to follow the URL.
> [/quote]

If Bre died or was horribly mangled so he would just go away I am sure these threads would stop but he hasn't went away and instead is doing shit like Mazda ads instead of helping the RepRap community. Oh, that's right he only used it for his own purposes then turned his back on it.

As far as what Adrian said I disagreed with him then as I do now but he is a Brit and they say those sorts of things. He has more worth in this but his hand is in Bre's cookie jar deeper than people realize so he just has to smile and say things like he said.

Do I hate Makerbot? No, I do not. Do I hate Bre? I didn't but I have since the day he turned his back on the open source community showing he only used it when it was in his best interest to do so to feather his own nest.

So, go take a shower if you think this is a hate Makerbot thread it is only showing Bre to be the narcissistic ass he really is. Sort of like some old starlot who is past their prime but can't give up due to remembering how good the old lime lite was ("All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up.")

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2013 11:37PM by Dark Alchemist.

_______
July 18, 2013 11:52PM
You should smoke less weed, Dark Alchemist.
July 18, 2013 11:56PM
Tom Brown Wrote:
> You should smoke less weed, Dark Alchemist.

Maybe I should smoke lots so all of this wouldn't matter. Maybe if I bury my head in the sand it wouldn't matter.

Fact is you do need to hone up on your history unless you are a Bre wannabe and are only around RepRap so you too can steal from it and forget where you started but remember, if that is the case, Bre beat you to it.

_______
July 19, 2013 05:19AM
Can we please stay factual and friendly here?

As it stands, Makerbot profited a lot from "the Open Source 3D printer community" (however you may define that) without contributing much themselves. After taking these peoples ideas, they closed their sources, claimed everything as their own and refused to acknowledge and attribute their original developers.
For example, they are in violation with the GPL if my information about them using Skeinforge in their closed source host software for slicing. GPL doesn't permit the software being licensed to be used and re-licensed with a different license in closed source applications. But that seems to be common for open source startup-turned-corporate businesses as Bits from Bytes (now CubeX by 3D systems) allegedly did the same.

The one thing Makerbot did contribute and which I forgot about in my first comment is Thingiverse. This site might indeed have been contributing greatly to the popularity of 3D printing as a hobby. And I think that this one time where everyone was in a frenzy about the changed terms of usage ("waiving moral rights" was the trigger here) was quite unwarranted as it turned out to be a legal term used by some countries to protect works of art from being modified. Still, uploading things to thingiverse will grant Makerbot the right to advertize with them and to generally use them as they deem fit. And that is why I don't use thingiverse, because I do not want to support the Makerbot that is diametrically opposite to my ideas and beliefs.
July 19, 2013 07:06AM
@uGen +1

- akhlut

July 19, 2013 07:18AM
Well, he does make a lot of money, enough to not care about us. It's just the way it works I guess.

I can completely identify with how you guys feel though.
July 19, 2013 09:01AM
I'd just step in to point you guys are doing what he seems to enjoy : you talking about him.

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
July 19, 2013 09:37AM
DeuxVis Wrote:
> I'd just step in to point you guys are doing what
> he seems to enjoy : you talking about him.

You are completely correct. Now I would like to meet him just to punch him but that is my own violent tendancy for the wrongs he did to the community that made him what he is. Without us he would never have been and he forgot his roots long ago and for that he should be severely punished.

I am sure he will die and be remembered as the grandfather of all 3dprinters but, as is the case in many instances, be incorrect but for the future people they will only know what is told to them.

_______
July 19, 2013 08:58PM
3D printing and FDM pre date Reprap by quite a few years. Ironically, it was now Makerbot parent company Stratasys that was a pioneer in the field. Long before Adrian started the Reprap project. To my knowledge the StratasysFDM patent had already expired by the time Reprap was born. While there have been some significant contributions to the technology in the form of bringing it at a lower cost to a larger audience, it's not at all accurate to consider Reprap the inventor of 3D printing. Reprap has proven there is a demand for low cost printers and DIY kits. The technologies on which Reprap is built were in existence prior to the project. Reprap has deployed those base technologies in a way that is far more accessible to everyday Joes and Janes but the basics are all derived from existing technology. That's not to say (or excuse) any open source license violations should they exist but to say that Reprap has been more about implementation and inclusion more than developing new technologies.
July 19, 2013 09:12PM
BBC series of the 1970's and 1980's (Connections I & II) by James Burke showed how everything is connected to something else and pretty much nothing new has been 100% created since the first spark lit up a tree and man saw the burning tree and decided to use it for other things.

_______
July 20, 2013 12:03AM
As best I can tell, the RepRap community is a pretty distributed and mostly un-professional group of people. Fantastic as these individuals are, an argument could be made suggesting that bringing a professional and somewhat corporate approach to 3d printing is the best thing that could happen to the community.
How many people ordered a printer kit from a web site or kick starter and got their materials, in a reasonable time, and found they were as promised? I don't hear a whole lot of positive stories, whereas there are a whole lot of happy Makerbot owners out there. If I were doing it again, I would own a Replicator 2x right now. As it is, I expect I will own a Replicator 2x before the year is out. That is, unless they come out with a newer, better model.
Bre Pettis and his team created and defined an affordable niche in the industry. Kudos to them.
Dark Alchemist, your view is myopic and ignorant. If history wrongly attributes something to Bre Pettis, that is not Bre Pettis' fault. I think you'd blame your dog having a wee on the carpet on Bre.
July 20, 2013 12:47AM
I think you make a fair point Tom. There are some pros in the community here. Most don't wade into these threads and some never post. There are several small business that do have good customer satisfaction. As in any business the bad experiences are relayed more so than a good experience most of the time. That said. many that sell parts and services don't understand the mechanics of running a business or have realistic expectations of what is to be encountered. In one way this also impacted the Makerbot folks. They didn't have a strong, scalable manufacturing process or process/manufacturing engineers prior to Stratasys buying them. It looked to me like they had the marketing and even the engineering down. Manufacturing and scaling with a company with that sort of growth rate is difficult for the most experienced in the business.

While some of the components of a more professional, commercial approach could be utilized by the Reprap community, I don't see the community dependent on those for survival and I think it will survive regardless of what happens in the commercial space. The Reprap culture is a DIY/maker/hacker/tinker culture and I think it will likely stay that way. It's not for everyone and many that do come and build machines don't finish them or finish them and can't get stable prints. Those folks and those that just want to print are better suited by a manufacturer but for that crowd it's not likely to be something at current Makerbot pricing. These are the sub $1000 market folks. The Reprap project in and of itself wasn't founded nor is it a commercial vehicle in and of itself. What those that have participated in the project have or will do is another matter entirely.

ON EDIT: I forgot one thing... To answer that Pettis and Makerbot created or defined the market for consumer 3D printers I think is off the mark. Makerbot saw, through participation in the Reprap community that there was a market and this market was being spawned prior to Makerbot. I'll grant that during the time they were involved actively in Reprap that both Makerbot and the Reprap community are responsible for for creating that market. It was Adrian, not Pettis or Hoeken that got the ball rolling. Hoeken saw there was potential thus Makerbot was born and the rest is history. For now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2013 01:06AM by vegasloki.
July 20, 2013 01:19AM
Tom Brown Wrote:
/snipped the dribble.
> Dark Alchemist, your view is myopic and ignorant.
> If history wrongly attributes something to Bre
> Pettis, that is not Bre Pettis' fault. I think
> you'd blame your dog having a wee on the carpet on
> Bre.
You just have Bre so far up your ass he can't see if it is night or day.

Fact is you made some valid points but you forgot how damn much the freaking corporate built ones are AND they require just as much time in adjusting them as a good RepRap for a 1/4 of the price. With the prices the corporate world charges for these the 3d printing field will never take off but that is exactly what they want too. A few is fine but millions of people with them would have a real shock to the corporate thugs and if it were not for this community 3d printing would be just as dead as it was when Stratasys had it (not many could afford 100k+ for one that is now 500 dollars thanks to this movement). I expect this same BS will happen when a replicator finally gets made in a100 years.

Did your precious Bre lower the price of his printer? No, he in fact raised it (not because the quality was any better but basically he threw in 20 dollars, if that, in parts/workmanship and charge a thousand more BUT he also took away ABS printing so he could charge more since he knew people would pay it for ABS) and had the corporate thugish attitude to charge you extra for ABS printing that used to be standard on his machines.

So, Bre is helping the masses get a 3d printer so this technology can grow? I know he isn't and you should open your eyes and see that if the price doesn't come down to the Kmart/WalMart pricing level it will never fully take off BUT it is already damn close and with no help from that smudge Bre.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2013 01:35AM by Dark Alchemist.

_______
July 20, 2013 04:19AM
High end RP is much,much larger than Reprap. SSTS has a market cap of us$3.5 billion. In the big picture the Makerbot investment is a pittance and likely to hedge a bet that consumer based printers will take off. We'll see. On the consumer side I see printing services to be the consumer hook and not owning a machine.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login