Repurposing a gen6.d board
July 31, 2013 09:44AM
I have a gen6.d board which has a blown extruder motor driver. There's no chance of being able to replace the motor driver as it's all surface mount.
The rest of the board all works fine so I am thinking of repurposing the board as a datalogger for some personal projects.
I know the board is based on arduino, and I have experience of using the arduino IDE to flash new firmware, but I've never done any real arduino programming before.
I am well experienced in c, c++, c sharp and others, so I figured it shouldn't be too difficult to pick up.
The board obviously has 3 inputs for the end stops and 2 for the temperature sensors, so these should be enough for my data logging needs.
What I need though is a reference for the pinouts of this board, ie, which pin numbers go to which sensors.
Am I right in thinking that the end stop inputs are just on/off binary, and the temperature sensors are ADC inputs? can all of the inputs be switched between ADC or on/off binary or are they hard set that way?
Also, how do I write my own host software to download the datalogged data from the board? say in c sharp? is there a simple API?
Would be grateful if some people could point me to some websites to get me started.
Cheers
Re: Repurposing a gen6.d board
July 31, 2013 09:58AM
replacing the surface mount driver is actually quite easy to do once you know how to do it, go on to youtube and search for "SMD Soldering" there's heaps of videos showing different ways to do it,

KarlB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have a gen6.d board which has a blown extruder
> motor driver. There's no chance of being able to
> replace the motor driver as it's all surface
> mount.
> The rest of the board all works fine so I am
> thinking of repurposing the board as a datalogger
> for some personal projects.
> I know the board is based on arduino, and I have
> experience of using the arduino IDE to flash new
> firmware, but I've never done any real arduino
> programming before.
> I am well experienced in c, c++, c sharp and
> others, so I figured it shouldn't be too difficult
> to pick up.
> The board obviously has 3 inputs for the end stops
> and 2 for the temperature sensors, so these should
> be enough for my data logging needs.
> What I need though is a reference for the pinouts
> of this board, ie, which pin numbers go to which
> sensors.
> Am I right in thinking that the end stop inputs
> are just on/off binary, and the temperature
> sensors are ADC inputs? can all of the inputs be
> switched between ADC or on/off binary or are they
> hard set that way?
> Also, how do I write my own host software to
> download the datalogged data from the board? say
> in c sharp? is there a simple API?
> Would be grateful if some people could point me to
> some websites to get me started.
> Cheers

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

Re: Repurposing a gen6.d board
August 01, 2013 05:21AM
Check the sparkfun / Adafruit websites for AVR powered dataloggers, they have a couple and they are cheap!
As fas as SMT rework goes, its not hard to pick up if you can get hold of a hot air blower and some scrap boards to practice on, I do it every day!

Also if your in the UK, I'm willing to fix your board for beed money!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login