Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

first printer

Posted by stefanjess91 
first printer
August 01, 2013 12:28PM
Hello, I've been researching which 3d printer to buy for my first build, I definetely want to go for a reprap, I'm just not sure which one. I'm not too bothered about the difficulty of the build as I'm willing to put in as much effort as is necessary, but I'd rather not spend more than about 600. I'm probably going to buy the reprappro mono Mendel with the intention of upgrading to tricolor in the near future, but any input from you guys would be greatly appreciated and warmly welcomed :-)
Re: first printer
August 01, 2013 12:33PM
I think you will want a completed kit, being your first build yo may want to spend a little more and then get a mendel 90, from what i read many first time users are liking the results.

It amazes me how little time people think setting up these machines take.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2013 08:07PM by jamesdanielv.
August 01, 2013 12:39PM
The best advice can give you is to do your research before buying. If your buying a kit or pre assembled definitely check out how well customer service etc is. I would also recommend to buy a reprap with a large user group which will help with troubleshooting and calibration. I would also check out people's blogs. A lot of users on here have them and they can be a wealth of knowledge. My blog primarily focuses on Printrbot as they are one of my favorites. If you have any other questions im always available. Happy building.

--------------| For Everything |--------------------------
Check it out here:
[reprapsquad.wordpress.com].
---------| For Everything Prototype Related |------
Now featuring comp case mods:
[RepRapLab.wordpress.com]

--------------| Find us at Twitter|------------------------
@REPRAPSQUAD (RS Main)
[mobile.twitter.com]
@REPRAPSQUADHQ (ProtoLab)
[mobile.twitter.com]
August 01, 2013 01:21PM
Ill definetly be buying a kit, id actually already purchased a mono Mendel but due to a problem with my bank the funds couldnt go through, so I've actually already got all the tools I need for the mono Mendel, I do really like the look of the Mendel 90 and I've heard a lot of good things during my research, what other tools would I need if I was to decide on the Mendel 90?. What would you say the advantages of the Mendel 90 would be over the mono Mendel, or vice versa. Thanks very much for your help.
August 01, 2013 03:36PM
Enineglue has a complete video series on youtube that shows the entire build of the Prusa Mendel iteration 2
I am using the same printer as a newbie and it is awesome, lots of support out there and it is a recent reprap model.

[www.youtube.com]
August 01, 2013 06:00PM
Is there a significant difference between the build for a prusa i2 and the mono mendel?
August 01, 2013 06:06PM
From what I know there are some structural differences. The Mendel uses almost entirely 5/16ths or 8mm rod to make up the main structure where the prusa i2 uses typically 8mm rod for the base and acrylic, dibond, aluminum or sometimes wood for the main structure. Ive always been a fan personally with the prusa design but the Mendel is very common and has a huge following. Have you checked out the prusa i3? Its personally my favorite out of the bunch.

Check it out here:

@REPRAPSQUAD (RS Main)
[mobile.twitter.com]
[mobile.twitter.com]
August 01, 2013 06:32PM
I really like the i3 and fully intend to build one at some point, but the lack of documentation and higher cost drove me away from this printer for my first ever build. I was originally set on the i2 but while I was looking for a decent supplier for a kit I found the mono Mendel, and as you say they have a huge following which will be particularly beneficial for my first build, in fact I think you've just helped me answer my own question, thanks very much :-)
August 01, 2013 06:51PM
Your welcome and i'm glad I could help. Im always available to help a fellow builder.

Check it out here:

@REPRAPSQUAD (RS Main)
[mobile.twitter.com]
[mobile.twitter.com]
August 01, 2013 07:01PM
stefanjess91
I'd rather not spend more than about 600.

In what currency? In some that might limit your options. winking smiley

If you're talking about the Mono Mendel from RepRapPro, I have no experience with them but I think you will find interesting this company is owned by Adrian Bowyer, who's the founder of the RepRap movement. smiling smiley
August 01, 2013 07:13PM
One thing to consider when building/buying a machine is its stability and strength in the directions that matter is important and will solve a lot of issues in the long run with prints. The Mendel90 solves that, and other machines like it, by having strength in the X and Y directions. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck in your choice!
August 02, 2013 11:09AM
Hello stefanjess91,

I am done building but just started calibrating a reprappro mono mendel. Feel free to look over my tumblr(at the bottom), or email me about it. I think it was an easy build, but I havent gotten the printer fully printing yet, so i guess take that with a grain of salt.

Also, if you want documentation on an i3 build, check out the new issue recently released of reprap magazine, there are lengthy build instructions. [reprapmagazine.com]

Welcome to 3D printing!

[aplusa3d.tumblr.com]
August 02, 2013 01:33PM
i g ot my prusa i3 printing yesterday and pretty good results check my blog

Check my rubbish blog for my prusa i3

up and running
[3dimetech.blogspot.co.uk]
Anonymous User
August 03, 2013 01:46PM
I bought the Mendel90 recently - it is very easy to set up compared to what I read in instructions for various other models. Support is also excellent - see the mendel90 section in this forum.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login