Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

0.7mm to 0.3mm nozzle

Posted by 3d2013 
0.7mm to 0.3mm nozzle
August 04, 2013 03:16AM
i just want to change my 0.7mm nozzle to 0.3mm nozzle , anyone know can just change the nozzle like that?
Re: 0.7mm to 0.3mm nozzle
August 04, 2013 03:34AM
what hotend have you got?

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

August 04, 2013 09:59AM
you will need to adjust your print speed. it is likely 4 to 16 times harder to push feedstock thru
Anonymous User
August 04, 2013 11:15PM
jamesdanielv
it is likely 4 to 16 times harder to push feedstock thru
Where do those numbers come from? If the area of a .7mm circle divided by the area of a .3mm circle, is 5.44, shouldn't it be 5.44 times harder?
August 05, 2013 12:04AM
in practice depending on the hotend it's not even close to that

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

Anonymous User
August 05, 2013 12:40AM
I ran abs on a direct drive extruder at .3mm, It was very prone to jams and over torqued my motor constantly. I think .4mm about hits the spot, for abs anyway.
August 05, 2013 06:20AM
ohioplastics Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
jamesdanielv
> it is likely 4 to 16 times harder to push
> feedstock thru
>
> Where do those numbers come from? If the area of a
> .7mm circle divided by the area of a .3mm circle,
> is 5.44, shouldn't it be 5.44 times harder?

5.44 only takes the change in the opening into account, but not the increased speed of filament movement. Usually the resistance increases with speed, independent from the nozzle diameter.
August 05, 2013 06:27AM
you also have to account for how long the oraface is, the shorter it is the faster you can push it out, but if its too short it might blow out.
August 05, 2013 06:45AM
aduy Wrote:
> you also have to account for how long the oraface
> is, the shorter it is the faster you can push it
> out, but if its too short it might blow out.

generally the longer it is the more backpressure you have, typically most nozzles are around 0.5mm, the advantage in a longer orifice is that retraction doesn't have to be as long, it's a mechanism being explorerd for the direct granule to print hotends at the moment,

August 05, 2013 07:57AM
which one is better
a- 1.75mm pla with 0.7mm nozzle
b- 1.75mm pla with 0.4mm nozzle
c- 1.75mm pla with 0.3mm nozzle
d- 3mm pla with 0.7mm nozzle
e- 3mm pla with 0.4mm nozzle
f- 3mm pla with 0.3mm nozzle
pls give the reason
August 05, 2013 09:45AM
3d2013 Wrote:
> which one is better
> a- 1.75mm pla with 0.7mm nozzle
> b- 1.75mm pla with 0.4mm nozzle
> c- 1.75mm pla with 0.3mm nozzle
> d- 3mm pla with 0.7mm nozzle
> e- 3mm pla with 0.4mm nozzle
> f- 3mm pla with 0.3mm nozzle
> pls give the reason

with the limited information about your hotend ...
a,b and c is always going to be more reliable than d e and f because the it's going through the hotend faster but it's dependant on the hotend and about 50 other factors,

August 05, 2013 01:23PM
3d2013 Wrote:
> i just want to change my 0.7mm nozzle to 0.3mm
> nozzle , anyone know can just change the nozzle
> like that?

All that you have to do is adjust your slicer settings to match the smaller nozzle.

Back pressure issues and comparisons is much ado about nothing. Smaller nozzles print smaller tracks at presumably smaller layer heights requiring much smaller flow rates. Comparing identical machines side by side a .4mm machine runs at higher print speed than its .5mm counterpart. Mind you the .5mm machine finishes the print faster because the larger nozzle covers more area.
Just to mention: Unless you are contemplating making miniatures a .3mm nozzle is going to take forever to complete a print.

a, b and c is always going to be more reliable than d e and f because the it's going through the hot end faster

confused smiley I can run a full 5 lb. spool of 3mm ABS or PLA filament without a hiccup. How do you get more reliable than that?

Blog
August 05, 2013 06:03PM
Wrong login

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2013 06:47PM by 3dindustries.
Anonymous User
August 05, 2013 06:35PM
There is definitely a trade off between speed and quality. That's why I have different size nozzles to change out, depending on what resolution I need. As for 3mm vs 1.75mm, there is no a trade off. IMHO 1.75mm is hands down better. Plus, If you really wanted to, you could build your own lyman extruder and make all the filament you want. I hope granule printers will come mainstream one day. That will be the next generation of the reprap project probably.
August 05, 2013 06:48PM
Bruce Wrote:
> 3d2013 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > i just want to change my 0.7mm nozzle to 0.3mm
> > nozzle , anyone know can just change the nozzle
> > like that?
>
> All that you have to do is adjust your slicer
> settings to match the smaller nozzle.
>
> Back pressure issues and comparisons is much ado
> about nothing. Smaller nozzles print smaller
> tracks at presumably smaller layer heights
> requiring much smaller flow rates. Comparing
> identical machines side by side a .4mm machine
> runs at higher print speed than its .5mm
> counterpart. Mind you the .5mm machine finishes
> the print faster because the larger nozzle covers
> more area.
> Just to mention: Unless you are contemplating
> making miniatures a .3mm nozzle is going to take
> forever to complete a print.
>
>
a, b and c is always going to be more
> reliable than d e and f because the it's going
> through the hot end faster

>
> confused smiley I can run a full 5 lb. spool of 3mm ABS or PLA
> filament without a hiccup. How do you get more
> reliable than that?

a string of successful prints with a 5LB spool of 3mm is very small window of observation on an already tuned system you simply have a good hotend,there's not shortage of people who have experienced the same thing, a good hotend and a filament driving mechanism all of which can be proven just as unreliable under the proper testing,

from a fundamental point of view, when you start doing tests like lowest print speed, highest print speed, max retraction min retraction, force required to extrude at a given temperature,smallest nozzle size, from a purely fundamental and mathematical view 1.75mm beats 3mm in just about all cases,

1.75mm got a bad reputation early on because people were trying to put it through wades extruders designed for 3mm filament along with bad and lazy spool handling practices not to mention that the spools themselves were'nt that greatly wound either

August 05, 2013 06:58PM
ohioplastics Wrote:
> There is definitely a trade off between speed and
> quality. That's why I have different size nozzles
> to change out, depending on what resolution I
> need. As for 3mm vs 1.75mm, there is no a trade
> off. IMHO 1.75mm is hands down better. Plus, If
> you really wanted to, you could build your own
> lyman extruder and make all the filament you want.
> I hope granule printers will come mainstream one
> day. That will be the next generation of the
> reprap project probably.

i think what you'll see is more of a hybrid between filament extruders and granule to print extruder,

August 09, 2013 10:37AM
hi there,

got one problem with the print today, i was printing a gear and it has a boss head around 10mm on top of the gear with a center hole through it (about 5mm i think), but at the final phase of the print the boss head seem like collapsing/melting on it self (filament too hot???), my nozzle is 0.7mm and using 3mm pla, what is wrong here?
August 09, 2013 05:15PM
Heat. print slower and use a fan to cool the filament.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login