Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

reprap issues

Posted by tattooedfish 
reprap issues
August 06, 2013 03:31AM
Hey guys ive been playing with the idea of breaking down my prusa i2 and using the electronics out of it and trying to convert it over to a ultimaker

Does anyone know where I could purchase a kit minus the electronics?
Re: reprap issues
August 06, 2013 05:09AM
you can find the laser cut files and have a shop cut the wood for you. best bet i would think.
[www.thingiverse.com]
August 06, 2013 07:38PM
jamesdanielv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> you can find the laser cut files and have a shop
> cut the wood for you. best bet i would think.
> [www.thingiverse.com]

I do not know of any in the area but thanks for the link didn't realize those were released
August 06, 2013 07:57PM
there are also laser sign shops that can do the job for you. a few hundred and they deal with the formating and laser setup for you. a great bargain!
August 06, 2013 08:13PM
You might want to look into building a MendelMax 1.5 instead of an Ultimaker. You'll be able to keep your X-ends, X-carriage, extruder, hot end, smooth rods, belts, pulleys, bearings Z-threaded rods, electronic components, etc. Converting to an Ultimaker will require you to replace virtually everything but your electronic components. Might as well sell the Prusa and buy an Ultimaker! tongue sticking out smiley
August 06, 2013 08:23PM
You could build a Ucon grinning smiley http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:102972

but I'm a little biased heh heh
August 06, 2013 10:56PM
funny i just told him what he wanted. files to make an ultimaker.
August 06, 2013 11:59PM
I'm not stuck on the decision of a ultimaker but here are my issues and what I don't like about the machine so far. I've probably used about 4lbs of filament so far to come to the conclusion that I waisted 60% of that with the learning curve. I want to convert to a Bowden style extruder so there is less weight being pushed around with the x axis . Ive had multiple jamming issues the filament will feed up until the point of reaching the hot end then the hob bolt just chews the filament.

After about 5 times of this happening I figured out how to remove my hot end which is a head mkiv-b I think about 220-230 is the max temp u want to push that hot end. So I pulled it apart to find the PTFE liner was gummed up. So then I replaced it with some spare liner I had purchased. I put it all back together cleaned the chewed up filament reset everything and tried to print again and it extruded for about 5 seconds and then jammed up again.

I have only ever printed with abs I want to print with nylon 618 and also after researching more I realize the filament required heat range is outside of what my hot end is capable of.

I also feel like the threaded rods for the z axis is causing imperfections on my prints because the threaded rod I'm using is local home depot quality and not precision threaded rod.

Don't get me wrong I think the machine is great for what it is but with the changes and money I would have to invest in yhr machine I might as well have the perk of building a new machine.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login