Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Repeated moderation abuse in the Google+ "3D Printing" community

Posted by corngolem 
Repeated moderation abuse in the Google+ "3D Printing" community
August 06, 2013 07:27PM
Hi all, do you know the popular Google+ community 3D Printing ? It's oriented mainly toward repraps and is probably managed by the same people as is reprap.org, that's why I'm posting here.

I've been participating in that community for a couple of months now until mid june when I realized I couldn't comment anymore neither join the community, meaning I had been banned, not just removed. So I did the only thing I could do when you're not part of a G+ community, I posted a G+ message addressed to 2 of the community's owners. The day after as they had not replied, I posted it again to 2 other owners who didn't reply but simultaneously I noticed that the "join this community" button had reappeared, meaning that someone had unbanned me. As of today I still don't know who banned me neither for what reason.

And today it happened again, some moderator or owner banned me without any warning or comment. I guess it has something to do with an article I posted in the community about the filabot wee since that article has been removed for unstated reasons, even if it was clearly related to 3D printing and all those who commented shared my opinion.

So I came here to say that there's one or more xxxxxxx incompetent xxxxxxxx moderator/owner in that community who abuses of his power, and that someone with competence and ethics should do something about it because it's unacceptable.
Worst thing is that I don't even know who did this to me, so I suspect everyone.

And no it's not a bug.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2013 09:45PM by corngolem.
Re: Repeated moderation abuse in the Google+ "3D Printing" community
August 06, 2013 08:24PM
corngolem Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi all, do you know the popular
> [url=https://plus.google.com/communities/117814474
> 100552114108]Google+ community [i]3D
> Printing[/i][/url] ? [b]It's oriented mainly toward
> repraps and is probably managed by the same people
> as is reprap.org, that's why I'm posting here.[/b]

That's going to be news to Viktor and the crew... The Google + group is not part of reprap.org. Other than the use of reprap, or the content matter of the site, what in the wide world of sports made you come to the conclusion that they were operated by the same people?
August 06, 2013 09:37PM
corngolem Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
... I
> posted in the community about the
> [url=https://plus.google.com/108850771000718298819
> /posts/Uru9ZjbCZSu]filastruder wee[/url] ...

Also, not that it's likely to be relevant to this problem, but I suspect that you mean the "Filabot Wee" - the Filastruder is Time Elmore's project discussed at the SoliForum's [url=http://www.soliforum.com/forum/18/filastruder/]Filastruder board[/url].

I'm just a happy user and Kickstarter backer of the Filastruder, hoping to prevent brand confusion smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2013 09:39PM by Leghk.
August 06, 2013 09:53PM
I assumed that some of the big names or reprap must have been behind that G+ community. There's a Josef Prusa and you said Viktor, there's a Vik Olliver. In any case, this is the only place I could think of to alert someone and have the issue resolved.

I confused filabot and filastruder at time of writing, fixed it now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2013 10:18PM by corngolem.
August 06, 2013 10:07PM
That's a bad assumption. I'd recommend editing your post to reflect reality and not assumptions. Of course it's up to you how you wish to be viewed in the community but coming in and casting aspersions isn't going to do much to your cred. I only responded because the admins here do an outstanding job and when someone posts something accusatory toward them without any merit whatsoever I think it should be addressed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2013 10:41PM by vegasloki.
August 06, 2013 10:28PM
So that Josef Prusa is nobody here ? and nobody of that G+ community is a member here ?
If indeed there is absolutely no link between both sites those in charge will make it clear. I don't know the who's who of 3D printing/reprap, how could I.
Again I'm just posting here hoping that it will trigger something and fix my issue, cause the way G+ works I don't have many solutions to get back in.
August 07, 2013 05:48AM
I must agree the way G+ works, is more of really 'abandoning' someone from a kind of social place.

I understand your anger, I've had the same on another forum ten years! ago but I didn't 'need' that place and just moved on. People actually missed me there and they contacted me through other ways haha, so now I am still friends with some.

Why don't you just come over to here? I have seen a lot of topics that really show someone's angry about a company, however, the admins have never just banned someone for it. And it's perfectly fine to act out of rage, just let it be fair rage.

My biggest question is: Why would you even want to be part of a group that you think is not treating you right? And it's more of a rhetorical question smiling smiley
August 07, 2013 03:38PM
I wish they'd pull out the ban hammer more often over there. Too many folks post to it like it's their own personal blog.
August 16, 2013 10:15AM
(Few days ago I sent a G+ message to all owners of the community about the issue - no reply, no change.)

Today I see that one of the owners mentions the reprap.org G+ community.
I already knew about it and I'm pretty sure that last time I check it had 1 owner and 0 moderators. Now it has 1 owner and 15 moderators (while 3D Printing only has 6 owners, 4 moderators and 1 hidden yet it has 50 times more members).
I also notice that 2 moderators of the reprap.org G+ community (Josef Prusa and nop head) are also owners of the 3D Printing G+ community - so now there IS a link.

I find all this a bit strange.
August 17, 2013 06:57AM

So that Josef Prusa is nobody here ?

Of course Josef is somebody for the RepRap community, but so far you rarely see him in this forum or editing the wiki. The same is true for a couple of other contributors. The opposite type also exists; nophead, VDX, me and a couple of others are very active here, but rarely seen on G+ or IRC. For myself the reason is, I was simply flamed out of IRC with a couple of unappreciatable "discussions".

RepRap has developed a number of distinct sub-communities. This forum, the wiki, IRC, G+, ... all of them are RepRappers. Still, groups with different ways of thinking exist. Example: on IRC the most recommended printer is clearly the Prusa i3 while you see many more recommendations for a Mendel90 here.

That said, welcome to this forum, corngolem.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login