Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Old macbook pro. What can I use?

Posted by vacs 
Old macbook pro. What can I use?
August 07, 2013 02:50PM
Hi,

I just built a prusa I3 with a friend and while he is using it with his pc, I can't find the way to make it work with my mac. It makes me feel like I'm dying inside. confused smiley

Here is the thing, My mac is 6 years old and uses a OS Leopard 10.5.8.
what programs should I use for this version?

Plus... I'm trying to download the Xcode from mac but the same thing happens, the version available is for newer OS, so I'm pretty lost.

Thank you in advance!
Re: Old macbook pro. What can I use?
August 07, 2013 05:07PM
you need to be an app developer for apple, but you can download previous versions of xcode here: [developer.apple.com]

mac version of pronterface is here [koti.kapsi.fi]

to build a current version i used Google and found this :[anthony.liekens.net]
August 07, 2013 08:43PM
Might Cura or Repetier-host run on your machine? I know Pronterface can be tricky to get working on older Macs due to python version mismatches. If you are trying Pronterface and post more details on what isn't working, we might be able to help you get it working. You shouldn't need Xcode for any of this.

Also, are you able to upgrade to a newer version of the OS? If you can go to 10.7 or 10.8, you'll probably find more options.
August 08, 2013 04:54AM

mac version of pronterface is here

There is no need for a "mac-version" of Pronterface. I run stock Pronterface on an iBook G3 and it works just fine. All you might have to do is to upgrade Python, installers are available as python.org: [python.org]

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

September 02, 2013 04:16PM
First, I want to thank you for your answers.

Finally I received an old windows notebook to go along with the prusa at anytime, so the problem is "solved". However, i'll find the way to work it out with the mac.

Again, thanks for your help.
September 02, 2013 04:51PM
I use Repetier host to talk to my printer and Slic3r to slice STL files to gcode all on a Mac. I think pretty much all the 3D printer software out there is multi platform.
September 02, 2013 11:28PM
boot camp it and install windows 7,
September 02, 2013 11:55PM
Traumflug is correct. load the python libraries and install it.

[www.python.org]

It says mac os libraries may be 2 years or more out of date, but should be installed by default. it is likely that the version used is not completely updated, or not referencing the last updates.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2013 12:07AM by jamesdanielv.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login