Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I spent 24 hours looking for a solution. Had to post to share

Posted by redsalamander 
I spent 24 hours looking for a solution. Had to post to share
August 12, 2013 04:36AM
So yesterday I printed a OK herringbone drive gear, it seems if you do your own printer you spend most time printing upgrades (funny that)

Tweaking things at one does and then it seems I clogged the tip of my extruder, I had among other things tried to adjust the feed tube between the cooling block and the hotend on my qu-bd extruder in an attempt to stop it from locking up after 45 minutes, as it was ruining most longer prints.

So I figured adjust it back and it will revert to how it was. WRONG..... I could not get it to push out anything

After hours I finally disassembled it all soaked it in acetone overnight only to read this morning that acetone would do nothing to the PLA i have been printing with silly me assuming bio degradable means you can easily degrade it. Reading up on what you need to do to devolve PLA was a little scary. But it seems the soak did clean up most of it

I re assembled it all very nicely as by now I kinda now where it all goes. And NOTHING....

Im thinking at this point I must be missing something cos its not clogged and Im starting to think I built a very expensive coffee table.

And then

I remembered I also turned down the current on my driver as I thought my extruder stepper was a little hot and less current would let it run cooler. >grinning smiley<

1/8th of a turn and 30 seconds later a smooth stream of filament was extruding nicely.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2013 04:36AM by redsalamander.

Schrödinger's Print: when you go to bed leaving your printer printing, when you wake up you may have the perfect print or your printer may have blown up. Both realities are true till you get up and look.

About my Printer:
Built a Repstap inspired printer from a clean sheet.
It has a theoretical build volume of 310x450x350 (the biggest thing I've managed to print half decent is about 30x50x40)
Electronics are Arduino Mega with Ramps1.4 Pololu drivers
The printer is constucted form 25mm Aluminum tube with connectit connectors
Most parts where improvised and modified as needed.
Linear bearing are based on what I found on google and is 2 angle peices with 608z bearings
I have been printing parts mainly to upgrade the printer things like motor mounts etc.
No heated bed, but my
Re: I spent 24 hours looking for a solution. Had to post to share
August 12, 2013 07:55AM
Thank you for this post, it will be useful to many reprappers!

If I may suggest, I had a similar problem with the driver overheating and I ended up using bigger heatsink.
August 12, 2013 08:00AM

Schrödinger's Print: when you go to bed leaving your printer printing, when you wake up you may have the perfect print or your printer may have blown up. Both realities are true till you get up and look.

Nice! Goes with the many Heisenbugs that occur in printers smiling smiley

Cheers,
Robin.
August 12, 2013 08:14AM
I like that quote, nice one!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login