Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My adventure with my new Mendel ZMax from Ultibots (Pic heavy)

Posted by twitch 
My adventure with my new Mendel ZMax from Ultibots (Pic heavy)
August 16, 2013 01:45AM
Hey everyone I wanted to share my story and give a review for my new Mendel ZMax from Ultibots. I did a lot of research before ordering my printer and I believe I bought one of the best quality kits on the net. I stumbled upon Ultibots website during my quest to find the best kit I could afford. I was looking at the Rostock Max or a MendelMax 1.5+ or 2.0. The 2.0 was just out of reach and not scalable like the 1.5 is, and the Rostock Max had some issues in the past with parts not fitting right.

It all started with a call to Ultibots I left a message on the voice mail and also sent a email saying I was interested. A few days later Brad called me and said he was sorry he couldn't get back sooner as he and his family were on a cruse ship on vacation. I was blown away that he called me from his trip, he could have sent an email saying he was on vacation but he called. That sold me alone, that is great customer service. He stated that he would be back in a few days and he could ship as soon as he got back. While on the phone he stated that I could print the ZMax upgrade that almost doubled the z height of the MendelMax 1.5+ and I asked if he would sell me all the parts for the upgrade. He agreed to print the new parts and sell me a kit which is now available on their website. I placed my order and received my kit and I was blown away with the quality. All nuts, bolts, and hardware are stainless steel and are in bags that are labeled for each part. Each and every printed part are of excellent quality.

Then I got to building it. it took me about 15 hours total until I got a first print

And finally printing....

Here are a few prints

Belt skipped a tooth being loose and I switched to my Raspberry Pi running Octoprint which had like 6000 default print speed and I overlooked it matching my settings from Pronterface.... Noob mistake.

Wanting to go home

I needed a fan mount that didnt use a lot of ABS and found this

After putting this thing together I am very happy with it and I would recommend this kit to everyone. And Brads customer service has been the best I have seen in the 3D printing industry.

Let me know what you think and watch for my other thread on using a Raspberry Pi with wifi, Octoprint, and a 120/240v relay for turning on or killing power to the printers power supply from Octoprint or ssh for a true all in one printer.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2013 01:56AM by twitch.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
-twitch

MendelMax 1.5+ - Ramps 1.4 - J-Head .5mm - Raspberry Pi running Octoprint
Re: My adventure with my new Mendel ZMax from Ultibots (Pic heavy)
August 16, 2013 08:14AM
Great post! Nice pictures.

I hope you like your printer, it looks solid.
Re: My adventure with my new Mendel ZMax from Ultibots (Pic heavy)
August 19, 2013 12:47PM
twitch -

Nice looking printer!!! Glad you are happy with your kit. As always, we are constantly making improvements. Be on the look out for a 250mm x 320mm Heat Bed for the UltiBots ZMax. It is currently testing and will max out the print envelope to 240mm x 310mm x 240mm in XYZ.

Your pictures are great.

Happy Printing,

Brad Norman
Owner - UltiBots LLC
www.ultibots.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login