Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Found an all in one DIY 3D Printer Kit locally IN-Store!

Posted by isonoob 
Found an all in one DIY 3D Printer Kit locally IN-Store!
August 16, 2013 03:30PM
For people interested, living in Massachusetts (USA) found these 3D Printer kits being sold at You-Do-It Electronics in Needham.

Made by Velleman... Didn't know they had a 3D Printer kit! was so excited to see this! Also they sell 1kg rolls of black, white, and natural 3mm PLA for $49.99

This is a link to the actual product from the Manufacturer's website
[www.vellemanusa.com]
Re: Found an all in one DIY 3D Printer Kit locally IN-Store!
August 16, 2013 04:35PM
If this is the same one sold in the UK by RS components and Maplin, personally I think you would be much better off building your own or buying a kit from one of the many reliable community suppliers. I bought a mendel90, and have yet to see anything come close to the quality of kit and support given.

But I have never used one of these, so I'm happy to be proved wrong.
August 16, 2013 05:12PM
I'm actually impressed. Closed design or no, they made a completely DFM Mendel inspired printer without stepping on any toes.
August 16, 2013 05:42PM
pokey9000 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm actually impressed. Closed design or no, they
> made a completely DFM Mendel inspired printer
> without stepping on any toes.

The Velleman K8200 design is a copy of or identical to an existing one, 3Drag (GPL) [reprap.org], already on sale [store.open-electronics.org].

I don't know how close K8200 is to 3Drag or if the originators had any collaboration with Velleman.
August 16, 2013 06:01PM
I (OP) also have not tried out the printer, and unfortunately the store didn't have one set up as a demo/model. First time I've heard of this printer, and although I would probably go for Mendel90 over this, having an all in one kit from a brick and mortar store is pretty awesome!
Hi,
Open-electronics.org collaborated with velleman to create the K8200, this 3D printer is very similar to 3Drag.
You can find a lot of info here:

[www.open-electronics.org]
[reprap.org]
[store.open-electronics.org]
August 22, 2013 01:48PM
If it is very similar, what exactly are the differences? Should I try to save a few $$ by buying mail order from open-electronics, or pick up a Velleman kit from my local store?

Since Boris neglected to introduce himself, I will add this note:

About Boris Landoni

Boris Landoni is the technical manager of Open-Electronics.org. Skilled in the GSM field, embraces the Open Source philosophy and its projects are available to the community.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login