Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

UConduit H-Bot 3D Printer / Reprap

Posted by iquizzle 
UConduit H-Bot 3D Printer / Reprap
August 17, 2013 08:16PM
Hello all,

Some of you are probably already aware of this printer from hackaday or the thingiverse page. I thought I'd also make a forum post for those who frequent these forums.

The UConduit is a 3d printer built with a frame that uses standard electrical conduit like the stuff you'd find at the hardware store. I wanted a printer that went back to the hardware store roots of the prusa i2, but with an h-bot design that uses no moving motors for a lightweight gantry, much like the ultimaker. The printer is fully open source (github) and designed using open source tools (OpenSCAD). It's easy to scale (in fact, someone has already made a jumbo version of it (here) with 410mm build area per side). The build volume of the standard printer is ~250mm on each dimension.

Since it's initial release, I've added a BOM and an interactive full SCAD model of the printer. A build guide should be coming along soon as well.

Here's a video of mine printing an octopus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73MlaBWCTPU

I'll add more videos soon, but I've been busy busy busy! Anyway, I hope you enjoy it. You can join the fun, ask specific questions or post your own h-bot/corexy designs on the google group.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2013 08:18PM by iquizzle.
Attachments:
open | download - UConduit_full.png (60.5 KB)
Re: UConduit H-Bot 3D Printer / Reprap
August 17, 2013 11:23PM
Looks very nice. I might have to build one of these for my next printer.

Edit: Looks perfect for a dual (or quad spinning smiley sticking its tongue out) bowden extruder setup.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2013 11:48PM by NewPerfection.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
August 18, 2013 11:37AM
Yes! Dual extruders is what I plan on doing next. I've had some positive success with bowden so far. I like it as an extruder platform for exactly this reason. Bowdens are more challenging to get tweaked just right, but they do have a payoff in several ways once you get them to work.
August 18, 2013 04:22PM
My dad is wanting me to build a laser cutter/engraver for him as well, using a high-power fiber laser. This platform looks ideal for that as well, especially because it could be easily enclosed and doesn't have a table moving in x or y. If I do end up doing that project, I will definitely share my process and results.

August 18, 2013 09:38PM
That would be awesome! If you do it, I'd like to hear about it. I'd like to have one myself.
August 18, 2013 11:26PM
iquizzle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That would be awesome! If you do it, I'd like to
> hear about it. I'd like to have one myself.

I'm not 100% sure on the platform I'd be using, I'm still researching that. The fiber lasers that I'm looking at look fairly straight forward to control, just using TTL-level signals to control power, frequency, on/off, etc. Some modification to RepRap firmware will be required, but should be relatively straight forward. I will definitely start a thread here if I start work on it.

August 19, 2013 01:25AM
Ive been printing out the xy axis this weekend, for a tslot project Im doing. I like it so far, light and rigid enough
August 19, 2013 06:27PM
Have you found any fiber lasers that are reasonably priced? Every time I check out ebay it's like $3k for a 200mW laser.

NewPerfection Wrote:
> iquizzle Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > That would be awesome! If you do it, I'd like
> to
> > hear about it. I'd like to have one myself.
>
> I'm not 100% sure on the platform I'd be using,
> I'm still researching that. The fiber lasers that
> I'm looking at look fairly straight forward to
> control, just using TTL-level signals to control
> power, frequency, on/off, etc. Some modification
> to RepRap firmware will be required, but should be
> relatively straight forward. I will definitely
> start a thread here if I start work on it.
August 19, 2013 06:37PM
iquizzle Wrote:
> Have you found any fiber lasers that are
> reasonably priced? Every time I check out ebay
> it's like $3k for a 200mW laser.

The laser is gonna cost a lot, I'm looking at about a 100W laser for deep engraving of metal. It would also be excellent for cutting. I'll let you know what a new one costs after I get quotes back. The price may be worth it though, as they last for 50,000 to 100,000 hours versus 1,000 hours for a CO2 laser.

November 10, 2013 03:43PM
i am interest to build this H-Bot type
do you BOM or especially rods/conduit length?

edit: found it in wiki

thanks,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2013 04:15PM by augus.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login