Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Seeking advice on a robust, proven, high quality printer! $4000 or less!

Posted by cesar 
Seeking advice on a robust, proven, high quality printer! $4000 or less!
August 18, 2013 05:45PM
Hello,

I know this topic has been probably answered hundreds of times but even after doing my own research, it is hard to come to a decision.

• I am looking to purchase a 3D printer under $4000 to manufacture and replicate car interior pieces for some vintage/old cars.
• So far, I like the ABS plastics for car interior since it is heat resistant, and maybe some nylon based materials (correct me if i'm wrong) for smaller more intricate pieces such as small plastic gears and such for car pieces as well.
• I want a larger than average printing surface as well, definitely something a bit larger than 7x7x7.
• Looking for a printer that could possibly be upgradable in the future as well.
• Precision, dependable, printer quality, speed is important (in that order).
• Definitely want to stay away from proprietary materials such as the Form's 1 - Resin or printers that will be hard to upgrade in the future.
• I can assemble my machine
• I guess I'm looking at Fused Filament Fab. I looked at the Mojo from Stratasys (lease for $200 per month) but it prints on a smaller bed. Form 1's Stereolithography looks good as well, but like i said- it requires the resin (Which is expensive now) maybe proprietay? and prints on a smaller bed.
• Opensource software OK

I will be partnering with my brother who is a mechanical engineer. He has experience with Solidworks (CAD) specially surfacing. I will me modelling large interior pieces such as a DIN radio face (For older cars), and smaller pieces like armrests, switches, buttons, panels, small models, etc.

These printers are on top of my list so far..:
(Not in a particular order)
• Series 1 - Type A
• Makerbot Replicator X2
• Zortrax
• Lulzbot Taz 3D Printer
• Isis 3D

I know there are some few RepRap printers out there, just not sure what is better.
I was looking at the Printrbot Plus, but I've read a lot of complaints as far as leveling the bed, calibration, some hex nuts not fitting well and becoming loose, belt tensioner, etc.

I know it is hard to just pick one printer- I want to hear you, and tell me what is the overall best printer, that prints above than average quality, and requires little maintenance.

I've looked online for reviews, and have been in touch with a few people - but I just need more info before I pull the trigger.
By the way, there is really nothing trust-worthy online as far as a side-by-side product comparison and that is why I'm here!

Any input WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

Thank you,

Cesar M
Re: Seeking advice on a robust, proven, high quality printer! $4000 or less!
August 18, 2013 06:54PM
Hi Cesar,

Have you looked at FDM (or FFF) printed parts up close? Are you aware the surface finish is not smooth? Or were you planning to add a finishing process (like acetone vapor bath for ABS)?

I think one thing you should do before purchasing a 3D printer is to either have one or two parts you'll have designed 3D printed by an online service like Shapeways, or a local rapid prototyping service. Or maybe visit a local makers fair, or local hackerspace if there are any. You need to look at FDM at face value and decide if it's going to be good enough for what you are planning.

As for your list of printers, I don't have comments on the first two. The Zortrax is a new printer, not shipped yet; they will have to ship the Kickstarter orders before shipping any new printer. Personally I would be cautious and wait until most Kickstarter backers have received theirs and see what's their inputs.

The Lulzbot TAZ seems to be a good choice, but it's actually out of stock; I know they are currently working on redesigning it for the second batch, they want to reduce the amount of printed parts going into its construction, which will also reduce production time.

The Isis 3D is a newcomer, it's not even available yet, and it's just a clone of the MendelMax 2.0. I suggest you have a look at this topic: [forums.reprap.org] I would be cautious about these people who pretend they're reinventing the wheel when in fact they are riding on the backs of others, without giving credit where it's due. I find this unethical.

Good luck with your quest!

Cheers,

Norm
August 18, 2013 08:08PM
Thank you for your prompt response.

Finish matters sometimes. For ABS stuff, I will be using acetone vapor.
For other finished products, I will be wrapping them with other materials. I've thought about sanding down as well first.

I just recently got off the phone with the VP of Marketing for Maker's Tool Works. I inquired about the MendelMax 2.0.

So far it seems like a solid system. Any opinion on that one?

I was planning on getting that one, not assembled, with a E3D hot end, and the LCD screen so it can print in a different room with no computer attached to it. I was thinking of printing nylon in the future, so I will need the E3D.
August 18, 2013 08:20PM
The E3D hot end is excellent. I have three of them, two are used in a dual extrusion setup on my printer. Nylon can be printed with a PEEK/PTFE hot end, but it runs at close to the maximum temperature of those materials, so an all-metal hot end is a good choice.

The MendelMax 2.0 looks like a pretty solid system. I don't have personal experience with one though.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
August 18, 2013 09:18PM
If your brother is a mechanical engineer I definitely would suggest designing and building your own on the list you gave I think the Taz is probably the best but still I don't think you are going to be happy with it leasing a pro-quality one is a good bet probably too small for what you're going to make and high price of raw material also you have to make things in pieces join and finish them I used to be a prototype engineer for professional loudspeaker company I built one as a tool for myself obviously I can't show you anything I printed for them but I have a few test pieces I did and a few pictures of machine and prints the Yoda was acetone dipped in painted with high solvent lacquer which also helps melt surface the bottle opener was just a way it came off the machine no postprocessing think of it as a four axis CNC machine use Mach 3 or EMC 2 to control it I would suggest using kisslicer for slicing software if you Google large scale repstrap you should see a couple short videos of my machine running
0.jpg" class="bbcode" border="0" />

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2013 09:41PM by cnc dick.
August 18, 2013 10:45PM
I have a Mendel Max 2.0 printer, and I'm very happy with it. I built the kit, and if I remember correctly, it took me about 10-15 hours to build the kit. I could probably have built it faster than that, but I took my time. It's a solid, fast printer with a nice-sized built platform.
August 18, 2013 10:54PM
John, do you have any examples of printed product?
Was the calibration fairly easy to do?
August 19, 2013 03:33AM
I had a friend a long time ago in the pc business, that said to me, you would think the people with the 5000$ or more to spend on a pc would be happy? no! they want things to be perfect, and to always be fastest.

He lost money on selling the high end machines sometimes because the machines never could satisfy some demanding customers that wanted the greatest, and it was, but not 6 months to a year later. the machine still under warranty would be returned 3-5 months later.

for 4000$ this person is still going to run into issues, and troubles as the tech keeps changing. 2 years will go by and he'll be wait that now costs $500, and runs with a lot more detail quality!

cesar, if you don't have a friend or someone near and dear to you that can help you out with this, and you have $4000, what you need is 24hr support, and an engineering product such as stratasys can offer you that really works out of the box. and a big company that can keep you happy at least for a reasonable time.

it is really insanely silly to spend over 2000$ for any reprap printer. the quality is there, just the ease of use and support instructions are not up to par for the amount of money spent.

I've seen it several times, and it is better that you research your options in great detail, before spending even 10 cents

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2013 03:34AM by jamesdanielv.
woo
August 19, 2013 05:46AM
if you cand stand on it while printer prints, then its ok. grinning smiley

look for rigid, and good frame/base, everything else is not problem.

i suggest to avoid prusa i2 and i3., those are printers for vases and yodas, not for precise parts.
August 19, 2013 11:24AM
And to think that I was about to pull the trigger on a mendelmax 2.0...
The plan is to get a powderbase machine in the future. Or try something like the mojo or objet24.
But before that, I need (i think) some experience with the current 3d printers before I can justify leasing/buying a $10,000+ machine.

I can't believe it's so hard to find solid reviews .
Just before ordering the mandelmax, I read about the drawbacks (when building at fast speeds and larger objects) the building table being on a horizontal axis is a negative thing.
Also read about people complaining about abs building/temperature problems, no enclosure, etc.

At this point, will a non-reprap printer like the replicator x2 be better? (It's even on display at my local Microsoft store!)
August 19, 2013 11:40AM
may i suggest taking 3000$ and saving it to buy a super good easy to use printer in 2-3 years time.
use the 1000$ left to get a mendelmax or a mendel 90 and if you have pieces that need to be perfect to use a service like shapeways.

that way you can already start, but will be able to buy a far better printer in a few years time.
August 19, 2013 07:52PM
possenier +1 on his suggestion.
August 20, 2013 01:13AM
I've been printing on my MendelMax 2.0 with PLA using the heated bed and it's super reliable. I did have some problems initially with print quality before I had the settings dialed in, and my bed leveled and at the correct height. Now I'm very happy with the quality. Here is an example of one of the parts I've printed (this is about 3-1/2 inches wide, and layer height is 0.3mm):

PLA sticks really well to a heated bed (at 70C) with a thin, dry layer of diluted white glue on the top. Once the bed cools down to room temperature, the parts just pop off the print bed. I've gone through almost 2 Kg of PLA so far, and I'm very happy with the results. I've been avoiding ABS because I don't really need the benefits of that material. ABS can stand slightly higher temperatures before deforming, and it's a little less brittle. On the other hand, PLA parts are generally stronger, and don't warp the way ABS does, so they're much easier to print.

You can also find examples of the great quality from MendelMax 2.0 guru OhmEye:

[ohmeye.smugmug.com]

As to choosing a Replicator 2 over the MendelMax, I still think the MendelMax is a good choice. I think you'll find you can make a lot of useful parts with this printer. The next step up is a $10,000 printer. With that printer you'll get very good prints, and can use dissolvable support material. You'll also pay more for the plastic spools, from what I've heard, since you have to buy the spools from Stratasys.
Attachments:
open | download - P7121676_800.jpg (79.5 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login