Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New 3D Printer with integrated 3D Scanner

Posted by aiorobotics 
New 3D Printer with integrated 3D Scanner
August 19, 2013 04:10AM
We are the startup AIO Robotics and developed a new 3D copy machine. We created a 3D printer with an integrated 3D scanner. The idea is to have an all-in-one 3D printer that is capable of 3D scanning, 3D printing, 3D copying, and 3D faxing. The machine has a 7-inch color touchscreen with an on-board computer (ARM based) so the printer can totally work by itself without connection to a desktop computer. The on-board computer also handles 3D scanning data (HD camera pictures from a swiping laser) and uploads the data to the cloud for final 3D reconstruction.

All linear components are made by CNC-machined aluminum (xyz-carrier, turntable) to ensure super rigid structure without any deforming and heat soaking. In addition, we also created an auto-bed leveling feature by integrating a Z-probe mechanism onto the extruder. This way, users don't need to calibrate the bed height at all. We will include a full API-package for developers to fully control all sensor and motors.

We developed a working prototype www.aiorobotics.com and would like to hear any suggestions or feedback before launching.

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2013 04:19AM by aiorobotics.
Re: New 3D Printer with integrated 3D Scanner
August 19, 2013 04:40AM
Any estimates on pricing yet?
August 19, 2013 04:47AM
We have not finalized the pricing yet but it will be significantly cheaper than the Makerbot Replicator + Digitizer.
August 19, 2013 11:45AM
i like it allready just for the fact that it has a "fax" button.
is this going to be open source?

can you give some more details about size and resolution? 1 extruder? ...
August 19, 2013 01:21PM
Interested
August 19, 2013 06:21PM
Thank You For Being Interested!
When we design the machine, we always keep user friendly in mind in order to create the most reliable and usable 3D printer so far.
The machine have 12-inch(300mm) turnable for both printing and scanning, the actual size might be smaller but close.
We have been print at 100 micron resolution all the time and since machine has a very rigid body(we use 12mm linear rod + all metal carrier compare to makerbot use 8mm rod with plastic carrier)
We believe to print at 75 micron or even 50 micron are totally possible.

So far we are preparing single extruder version but later we will also release multiple extruder(2+) as upgrade option.
August 19, 2013 08:33PM
Sounds great, except for the "cloud". Why not do the processing locally? What happens if something happens to the "cloud"?

It looks like the images you posted are 3d renders. Do you have any pictures of the prototype?
August 20, 2013 12:09AM
We choose to use cloud processing because it makes the machine more affordable and faster. We are aware of privacy concerns or internet connection requirement, therefore we are also offering the functionality of scanning, printing, and copying without cloud service. However, this version will have a little bit extra cost in order to locally process the million scanning points in 3D.

The first image is rendered, the second one is an actual photography from our machine.
August 20, 2013 12:34AM
Interesting though the cloud only idea is monumentally bad. If something happens to the company users will left with a brick.
August 20, 2013 12:48AM
both images shown here are rendered. there is something wrong with the lighting on the second image, and the focal plain, everything is in focus. get a real image up please!
August 20, 2013 01:08AM
You have not answered possenier's question, is this going to be open sourced? If not, why exactly are you posting this here?
August 20, 2013 01:43AM
the 2nd image is part real,part render.
the extruder and rails have a correct exposure to focus and light, but everything else is photoshopt over it.

i also don't like the cloud thingy.
i'm sure something like a raspberry would be fast enough to proces all that data, and it's cheap to build in that machine and make it stand alone.
i would however leave the cloud function in it for faster processing.
August 20, 2013 02:53AM
Thanks for your feedback! Just for clarification: The machine will still work for scanning, printing, and copying even without internet. Without internet, the processing for scanning/copying however will be standard speed and not cloud boost speed. To achieve the same processing speed without cloud, we will provide an extra hardware that achieves similar cloud boost speed.

Regarding the open source part. We will provide an open source package that makes all sensors and motors accessible. We also provide all the necessary hardware mount hole drawings, so people can modify the machine.

Here is a picture of the "behind the scenes" photo shoot. The second image is right from this camera.

August 21, 2013 08:40PM
This is a very interesting product.
Will there be a software that make FAX function talk to other 3D printer ?
It all looks very good but I am also concerned about the actuality of this project mostly due to the distinct lack of REAl images. It's extremely easy to photoshop and render ALL of the photos above and I'm afraid that even the last one is fake. The "Zues" has been masked into a shot of a standard photo shoot. I doubt the existence of this device.

It may be planned for actual production with some of the mechanical parts in existence but as for the rest? nope. The cloud based idea is rubbish. If you have a slow connection like mine and many others, it just won't work at all, forcing a lot of customers to HAVE to consider the "upgrade" version.

Cloud computing is invasionary and impractical in my opinion and if someone has a design they have not yet patented but need to send it,where's the actual security? Once it's floating around "out there", that's it...there's none. I don't trust it AT ALL.
Like others here, very interested if it all pans out.

I cannot put this strongly enough -
I *HATE* the cloud processing idea!
As an "inventor" I don't like to let my creations leave my workshop before they are ready, and the idea posited that I will be "left with a brick" if your company folds concerns me greatly. Maybe the Open-Source part will help with this...?
The only cloud stuff I use is that which I can afford to lose. The real stuff is on MY servers.

Like possenier said, are there any REAL specs available or is this just a "Test the waters" marketing approach?
August 29, 2013 10:49AM
SusiBiker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Like others here, very interested if it all pans
> out.
>
> I cannot put this strongly enough -
> I *HATE* the cloud processing idea!

This.

You'll get little commercial buy-in with this model. There are a ton of cloud-based tools like Evernote and Google Docs that I'd love to use on the job that would violate confidentiality with my employer.
August 29, 2013 12:25PM
"To achieve the same processing speed without cloud, we will provide an extra hardware that achieves similar cloud boost speed."

I don't understand why one should need to buy extra hardware upgrade as a substitute for the cloud. We all already have extra hardware to do such processing, it is often known by names such as 'PC', 'laptop', 'notebook' or even just 'computer'. The 3D printer / scanner could be made to connect to the 'computer' by something often referred to as a 'USB cable'.

The printer/scanner looks well made but looks even more expensive. Investing in good quality mechanicals is great but I think the emphasis on on board processing is not the best way to spend one's money. I would keep the processing to just what is needed to process gcode files (or even easier to execute preprocessed files as MB does with .s3d and .x3d) and leave the hard work of slicing and processing scans to a PC.
September 01, 2013 04:39AM
Quick update: Here is a new sneak peek for our upcoming Kickstarter launch:

[www.youtube.com]

Quick update for all the cloud concerns: Thank you for your feedback, we are working on a solution that cloud will be optional but not a must-have. Please stay tuned for the specs and detailed information on Sept. 4th on the Kickstarter page!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2013 04:40AM by aiorobotics.
September 04, 2013 05:10AM
Our Kickstarter project is live now: [www.kickstarter.com]
September 04, 2013 09:59AM
Those vases were released under a non-commercial license (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:104694). At the very least you need to provide attribution to the author in your video or on your KS page. The author may ask that you not use his designs in your advertising material, or that you compensate him for their use.

Another Thingiverse author recently pulled all of his designs offline because of unauthorized commercial use, so people are pretty sensitive to this.
December 31, 2016 06:49PM
Hmmm... it looks pretty good, but I think the scanner will need a little upgrade. 2nd laser or maybe a higher res camera.

+/- .125 mm isn't quite engineering spec, but it's pretty close.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login