Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Why smooth rods?

Posted by NjEmt527 
Why smooth rods?
September 08, 2013 07:30PM
So I've been looking into building my own 3d printer using my Prusa i2. I got inspiration from the Mendel Max 1.5. I'm planning on using Open Build V slot for the frame. I was working out the details and trying to work in a way to hold the smooth rods and thought why not just use the linear rail v slot instead? Is the a reason everyone uses smooth rod other than the availability of it?
Re: Why smooth rods?
September 08, 2013 07:33PM
it's usually cheaper than a lot of other options, things like vslot and t slot aren't as easy to get in some parts of the world compared to others and certainly nowhere near as cheap to get

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

September 08, 2013 07:48PM
I have a mendel max 2 that uses cars which slide on rails and they move as smoothly as silk. I had rods + LM8UU bearings before and they were nice but I don't think I would go back because the bearings can dig grooves in the rods over time. How many people use copper bearings + rods? I have been pleased with those too.
September 08, 2013 08:30PM
I just want make sure that I not missing an important reason to use rod. I just see using linear much easier to make everything square and level. Im having so many issues with my prusa I2 frame being tweaked. Between the fact the person I bought it from didnt feel like putt 100 % into it and bought a Makerbot and the fact that I take it back and forth to work with me, its just not ideal. I never get consistent prints because of frame shifting and such. Im gonna draw this plan up and get the parts printed then pu them up for everyone. It will be a little more expensive than a Prusa, but hopefully more rugged and sturdy.
September 09, 2013 08:01AM
If your frame is shifting, you should tighten the nuts. If it's bending, you should reduce acceleration. If it isn't squared, you should adjust the effective length of the frame rods (distance of the plastics parts mounted on them) until it is.

A Mendel isn't exactly a masterpiece of stiffness - especially in X direction -, but one can compensate for this easily. It's defintitely not a matter of round rods vs. V-rails.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login