Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Nylon 645 3 mm to fat to fit in Extruder?

Posted by Yvan 
Nylon 645 3 mm to fat to fit in Extruder?
September 13, 2013 07:31PM
Hello Everyone,

Just got around to testing with the Taulman 645 and 618 I bought some time ago from Voxel Factory.

I was surprized to find the 645 was didn't fit at all in the 3 mm PTFE tube I use to guide filament out of the spool. Turns out the nylon is actually 3.13 mm, and the PTFE tube is 3.05mm.

I have the same PTFE tube in my hot end leading to the melt chambre, obviously, this is not going to work!

The spool of 618 is about 3.05 mm, and barely squeezes through the PTFE tube, so I'm printing a small test part right now.

Anyone know what is up here? Does nylon swell when it absorbs moisture?

Yvan

Singularity Machine
Re: Nylon 645 3 mm to fat to fit in Extruder?
September 14, 2013 02:06AM
I got two rolls of 618 about a month ago and in some places it measures as big as 3.15 on my digital calipers. Still manage to squeeze it in my nozzle with no issues luckily.
Re: Nylon 645 3 mm to fat to fit in Extruder?
September 14, 2013 01:27PM
Wow, in the world of 3D printing filament, that is really bad quality control. What is the smallest diametre you have seen on that spool?

It's a good thing you can still use it. I have a few printers here,(but only one operational at the moment) and a bunch of hot ends, will have to see if any combination can be made to work...

Yvan

Singularity Machine
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login