Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cheapest filament in the UK so far?

Posted by pocketmoon 
Cheapest filament in the UK so far?
September 16, 2013 10:00AM
Just a FYI as these guys haven't had a mention on the forums and I'm impressed so far with them.

3dFilaprint.com 1kg spools from £21.50 with free shipping in the UK.

I've got a few transparent and nylpon "wraps" to try out and some white ABS on order. Will compare it with my £35 (inc shipping) Plastic2Print white ABS (which I just ran out of) and do a write-up soon.

Anyone other Brits using them ?

Rob J
Re: Cheapest filament in the UK so far?
September 17, 2013 08:00AM
I've just placed an order for 1.75mm PLA with them. Faberdashery were out of stock with the color I wanted for the next two weeks(!) and they have raised their prices. I hope it works well as I'm tired of Faberdashery prices and having to spool it myself.

Andy
September 17, 2013 08:58AM
For UK buyers; [www.filamentprint.com] appear to have given up online :/

Yet to try cd-writer.com which is 23 quid but charge shipping on top.

My 3Dfilaprint spool arrived and the filament was shrinkwrapped on to the spool. In fact it was a pain to pick off the wrap, which had stuck fast to the outer layers of filament. The outer layers were also very brittle. A quick email to customer support and it appears a small batch of ABS was overheated during shrinkwrap. It only effects the outer layers and they're sending me a replacement spool in the post. So top customer service and printing well now.

Rob
September 17, 2013 02:34PM
Please post back how well it prints. smiling smiley

Andy
September 17, 2013 04:47PM
Pics to follow.. but it prints very well. Brain dump:

Slightly stiffer than the 1.75mm white ABS I had from Plastic2Print. 3DF ABS is Far less spitty (dryer?).

Colour is a cream white compared to the snow white of the P2P ABS.

Perhaps a touch trickier to get to stick on the bed.

The finish straight off-the-bed is better (shiny and smoother) but the P2P ABS is easier to sanding/trim.

I'd say if you want a great finish off the bed than it's ahead of the P2P ABS but if you want to trim/sand/glue to construct bigger objects then the P2P stuff is easier to attack post-print. I'm building a Zer0 (Borderlands 2) Helmet so doing a lot of the latter.

3dfilaprint also do 10m wraps for £3.75 for try-outs.

Cheers,

Rob

Just a happy customer smiling smiley
September 19, 2013 05:47PM
hey there guys yeah ive bought the glow in the dark blue pla from them a very good price

it prints very well and glows pretty well too winking smiley

my only issue so far is as im getting to the middle of the reel the filament is getting stiffer to wind off which imho isnt a really bad problem just means i have to keep an eye on it which i tend to do anyway

happy printing all big jay

ooh another upgrade for me to print yay
September 20, 2013 09:23AM
I was looking at that site for thier Taulman nylon, prices look pretty good, although must admit I'm really wary of cheap PLA after my first lot, so sort of ignored it. (anyway no black or white 1.75 PLA there ?)

What's the dimensional consistency like on the PLA, anyone got any numbers. ?

Anyone tried printing on a cold bed , sticking ok with no warp/lifting ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2013 09:28AM by Masnachu.
September 21, 2013 10:33AM
just measured mine across a selection of points along the filament 2.9 consistently

and printed mine on a 30 deg c bed at 185 deg c hotend and seems to be okay so far

im printing directly onto the back of an ikea mirror tile with no additives other than cleaning with acetone and yeah had some nice prints ive only had a slight lift on my biggest piece so far which is one of the baseplates for a 3dr and thankfully that was one of the outer corners so all is good winking smiley

ive attached a pic of a rostock platform made from the pla im using

oh and just a quicky im using a prusa i2 running ramps with marlin

see you all at tct in birmingham on thursday

happy printing from big jay

ooh look another thing to print yay
Attachments:
open | download - reprap prints (2).jpeg (60.4 KB)
September 21, 2013 10:44AM
pocketmoon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My 3Dfilaprint spool arrived and the filament was
> shrinkwrapped on to the spool. In fact it was a
> pain to pick off the wrap, which had stuck fast to
> the outer layers of filament. The outer layers
> were also very brittle. A quick email to customer
> support and it appears a small batch of ABS was
> overheated during shrinkwrap. It only effects the
> outer layers and they're sending me a replacement
> spool in the post. So top customer service and
> printing well now.

I have exactly the same problem, what are the chances of that? I suspect this "small batch" is perhaps not so small, yet they are shipping out faulty product anyway and letting the customer deal with it. That is not what I call good customer service.

Shrinkwrapping seems totally unnecessary and is a pain to get off, and also damages the product, what possessed anyone to do such a daft thing??

I can't say on the basis of this I would be likely to order again, they don't seem to know what they are doing. They are cheap though, I guess you get what you pay for.
September 21, 2013 04:20PM
I not sure how big the market is here in the UK, if they're selling multiple units per day of the same filament then quiet a few are going to end up in the wild before they get feedback of a problem. Best thing they could do would be issue a product recall on any shrink-rapped filament.

The replacement spool I'm now printing with is fine and interestingly didn't come shrink-wrapped. Could have done without the wasted hours trying to get the first spool to print but I'm prepared to give them another go after this given the quality of the new ABS and the price.

Cheers,

Rob
September 22, 2013 07:27AM
just looks like reprapper filament to me ?
September 22, 2013 12:26PM
The 1.75mm PLA I received last week was not shrink wrapped.

Andy
September 22, 2013 01:28PM
Enlightx Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> just looks like reprapper filament to me ?

Looks very much like it to me. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
September 22, 2013 06:12PM
Reprapper was the assumption I was making judging from the product line 3dFilaprint are carrying.

The thing with reprapper IMO, is/was consistency, at certain times you read that it's printing fine, at other times people are reporting nothing but problems with it.

Thanks for the feedback jay, although with that warping your getting still not sure I'll take a punt on it, will see,
September 23, 2013 08:51AM
just asked them via twitter and yeah there just an offical reprapper reseller.

Which i dont like reprapper but then theres people who have no issues

just a warning if you new to 3D Printing i personally wouldnt use chinese filament they work but there not the best to learn on.

i find you have to run it much hotter then other stuff and i also experience more warp and also moree jams.

video of some reprapper ABS i got :| https://vine.co/v/h7jPnX1Yeel

you could hear micro cracks as you bent it. never seens anything like it before

TO NOTE THIS WAS NOT FROM 3dFilaprint.com!! IT WAS FROM AN EBAY SELLER

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2013 08:52AM by Enlightx.
September 23, 2013 11:47AM
I had that from an ebay seller too, I spoke to them and supposedly it was a bad batch of ABS (mine was I think natural) which is now sorted. I had some of their PLA and that was fine. They are supposedly sending out some replacement for me, should have it soon fingers crossed.

Scrape your's with a knife, by any chance does it look like it has a coating of something like cling film on it?
September 23, 2013 12:33PM
i have a 100% discount code for leapfrogs website. interested message me at daphnegualt@yahoo.com
September 23, 2013 02:43PM
lol yeah when i removed the clingfilm from the out side it all stuck to the filament.

was also white ABS smiling smiley

must of been a bad batch

i can only guess it was old or something as you couldn't of wound that on a spool
September 27, 2013 05:01AM
After several hours of printing I see only one real difference between this PLA and Faberdashery PLA.

With this PLA I must clean the build surface with acetone after every print.

With Faberdashery PLA I can clean it after every five to 10 prints.

Not a big deal for me. It could be that this PLA needs a slightly different temperature to Faberdashery PLA, but I don't have the time to experiment right now, so I'll use the acetone instead.

Andy
October 01, 2013 05:18PM
Hi Guys/Girls

We would like to offer our sincere apologies if any anyone has received one of the ABS 1.75mm filaments that were overheated during the shrink wrapping stage of production (small batch), resulting in a sub-standard product. Please drop me a line yuliyakay@3dfilaprint.com (Sales Manager) with the date of your purchase and we will arrange a replacement or a refund (please choose) without hesitation. By way of an apology we would also like to offer you a FREE wrap from any of our filament range, which includes our premium filament lines of Nylon, Bendlay, t-glase 1.75mm (3mm is on its way), laywoo-D3, Laybrick.

We can confirm that the affected product has since been removed from our stock.

3D FilaPrint are in constant communication with our trading partner Reprapper Tech who will be sent a copy of these comments.

3D FilaPrint has been created to offer a low cost, quality product, with a service that is geared towards the 3D printer enthusiast. We are constantly learning as a 3D supplier of filaments that not every filament suits every printer or that settings for different colours are sometimes required and understand that you cannot have one filament that fits all. What we will do is listen and pass that information back to the partners and producers at the “hot end”.

Once again please accept our sincere apologies. As an online business, our reputation is everything.

Yuliya
October 16, 2013 07:45PM
Well so far so good! Emailed them at like 11:30pm and got a reply at 12am! 10/10 there! grinning smiley
October 21, 2013 10:41AM
eBay shop for jtrading2013 [www.ebay.co.uk] ,

I bought some 1.75mm ABS filament which works out as £21 per kilo delivered... a whole 50p saving!! that's like a whole bag of crisps*

of course, quality/good tolerances are probably worth an extra few quid if the seller has a good reputation smiling smiley

Tom

*in 1997
October 21, 2013 03:22PM
I'm printing with 3Dfilaprint 1.75 PLA black
It's printing very nicely, good finish.

Except sticking to the bed, can't get a smooth finish, then this afternoon my PC died (dead) before I got a chance to work out how.

Other than that, very nice and consistent.
October 22, 2013 07:08AM
Getting to the end of my 3dFilaprint 1.75mm White ABS. Setting the first couple of layers to 235 and then drop to 228. Printing on kapton it sticks very well and the reduced print temp after the first layers seems to reduce warping. Bed temp is 101.

About to move on to some transparent ABS from the same supplier and the free sample of glow-in-the-dark they threw in smiling smiley

Rob
November 03, 2013 08:27AM
I've just written to an Amazon supplier called CD-Writer com Ltd. The supplied me with black, red and glow-in-the-dark blue but not happy with the quality. I keep getting 'knots' or joins that wont go through the filament drive. Have a look at image. As you can imagine, getting to 1 hour into a 3 hour print and you suddenly notice there's nothing being extruded can be bit of a pain and a waste of time!

Anybody else seeing this or was I just unlucky with this one black reel?
Attachments:
open | download - 020b.jpg (275.9 KB)
November 03, 2013 08:36AM
Also, a quick tip for getting the first layer stuck to the Mendels glass bed. For 1.75PLA I'm running a 60deg bed cleaned with Sarsons vinegar - works like a dream!
November 19, 2013 06:22AM
I sell filament (ABS/PLA and will receive HIPS in january) from the Netherlands for £23.03 per kilo. one color is on sale each month and goes for £18.84 per kilo. Also tryout packs are possible with 5 colors of your choosing.

Shipping to the UK is not free, but it with these prices it is competitively priced.

The filament currently available is the Repraper filament. From January i will also sell the Siridi filament.

[EDIT]
Since the euro is my default currency, prices may vary a bit.

With orders from 7 spools and up all spools are priced at £18.84. My webshop doesn't support this yet, so please email me.

Shipping can also be done with GLS wich is a bit cheaper. Unfortunately GLS doesn't have a plugin for my webshop, so you will need to email me for this also.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2013 06:55AM by Calis.

--

[www.filamentenmeer.nl]
PLA in 15 different colors
ABS in 17 different colors
November 19, 2013 02:18PM
A lot of the 1kg spools at 3dfilaprint.com have dropped to £17.95 (shipping is free) and they have some christmas colours in stock grinning smiley

I'm very happy with the product so far and at the moment you get a free 0.4mm nozzel when you buy a spool!

Rob J.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login