Jay Leno uses 3d printers to make rare parts for his vast collection of cars.
June 28, 2009 11:57PM
Came across this tonight. Kinda cool that he uses it to make molds with.

[www.popularmechanics.com]
That's wicked. I hope that catches on. I wonder if Jay might decide to get into the auto parts business if things don't go well with his new show on NBC right now.

Then again - would he get sued for making copies of proprietary auto parts?
Re: Jay Leno uses 3d printers to make rare parts for his vast collection of cars.
July 01, 2009 12:08AM
Most of the parts hes making are for cars long past production and who's companies are long gone. I am sure those parts fall within some creative commons or something like old books.
Re: Jay Leno uses 3d printers to make rare parts for his vast collection of cars.
July 01, 2009 12:50PM
Books and movies fall under copyrights which can be renewed

Mechanical parts fall under patents which only have a 20 year life after that they can be copied..

The patents for the parts he is dealing with have long since been ran out around 1912.

The patents are also a very good source to find out the size of the part and how it works.

I am into Stanley Steamers (not that I own one) which is what led me to Reprap, I also cast iron which is what Jay is doing..

Maybe some day some body will scan a 1910 Stanley engine I hope Jay offers the scans to everybody if he is so interested in saving these cars.

Bruce Wattendorf
July 01, 2009 12:59PM
This website may be of interest to you if you haven't already found it.

[www.stanleymotorcarriage.com]

-------------------------------------------------------

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Thomas A. Edison
July 01, 2009 01:08PM
Cool I have not been on any of the Stanley sites in about a year.

Here is a cool site also

[www.stanleysteamers.com]

They are a small group of people and most are up there in age..

it is kind of neat that there are prob less then 1500 people that can drive these cars. A friend of mine that has one says you don't have to worry about it when you park it at a store because if somebody could drive it you would prob know them.

I work about 10 Min. away from the original factory in Newton MA.

Any ways back to Reprap..
July 02, 2009 10:17PM
I've had a look at those NextEngine scanners, and while they are pretty good, they do take a large amount of time to do a really good full scan. They quote 20 minutes, but I've heard reports that its more like a couple of hours - more suited to personal use like this than commercial applications.

The Konica systems are some 10x the speed. We're looking into purchasing one when the economy improves.

[www.konicaminolta.com]
July 05, 2009 01:14PM
My dad bought one of those NextEngine scanners. From what he's told me, getting a proper scan of anything more complex than a football is a pain.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
very nice........
NOT
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login