Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How is that 200 dollar 3d printer coming along?

Posted by Dark Alchemist 
How is that 200 dollar 3d printer coming along?
September 23, 2013 01:12AM
Simple question with no bias intended nor wanting any on this thread only facts and figures please.

Thanks.

_______
I await Skynet and my last vision will be of a RepRap self replicating the robots that is destroying the human race.
Re: How is that 200 dollar 3d printer coming along?
September 23, 2013 01:15AM
these guys are trying to beat that. and they are not that far away from my...lol

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/117421627/the-peachy-printer-the-first-100-3d-printer-and-sc

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
September 23, 2013 09:10AM
Talking to 2 reps from Makibox on saturday at the OS3DC at Frankfurt they said, "hoping to ship before christmas". I said :"Ok, which year?"

Blogs:
Meine 3D Druck Abenteuer
[3dptb.blogspot.de]
FLSUN Delta Drucker für Deutschland
[flsun-deutschland.blogspot.com]
Books on 3D patents:
[goo.gl] (english)
[www.amazon.de] (deutsch)
September 23, 2013 09:42AM
maboo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Talking to 2 reps from Makibox on saturday at the
Are they still saying that? I had heard they were finally shipping in August. Damn. sad smiley

edit: My response wasn't showing up but did in the edit. So, the forums have an issue and what I dunno so I removed your quote and hopefully my response can be seen now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2013 10:36AM by Dark Alchemist.

_______
I await Skynet and my last vision will be of a RepRap self replicating the robots that is destroying the human race.
September 23, 2013 09:43AM
dissidence Wrote:
> these guys are trying to beat that. and they are
> not that far away from my...lol
>
> [url=http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/117421627
> /the-peachy-printer-the-first-100-3d-printer-and-s
> c]http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/117421627/th
> e-peachy-printer-the-first-100-3d-printer-and-sc[/
> url]
We will see. :/

_______
September 23, 2013 10:48AM
As far as I can tell, the $100 figure is only for the box that contains the mirror and deflection magnets. You won't get the liquid containers or the drip system, so there will be some additional cost, but probably not much. Given that the box has basically no electronics and just a few parts, I believe the $100 price for what he's selling. But it doesn't sound like it's a complete kit.

Since he promises to make it 100% open source, it also sounds like something that would be really easy to build from scratch. Certainly easier than building FFF printers from scratch. I was tempted when I first saw it because I was interested in playing around with writing some software for it. But I didn't like the $600 price for beta testers. So I figured I'd wait and perhaps build one from scratch.
September 23, 2013 12:42PM
dissidence Wrote:
>
> url]

At around 2:14 they say that the soundcard has a resolution of 16 bits but how does 65536 turn into over 4 giga pixels?

_______
September 23, 2013 12:52PM
Dark Alchemist Wrote:
> dissidence Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > these guys are trying to beat that. and they
> are
> > not that far away from my...lol
> >
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> > url]
>
>
> At around 2:14 they say that the soundcard has a
> resolution of 16 bits but how does 65536 turn into
> over 4 giga pixels?

65536x65536=4294836225 ?
September 23, 2013 01:04PM
MightyMouth Wrote:
> Dark Alchemist Wrote:
> -----
> > dissidence Wrote:
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> >
>
> > -----
> > > these guys are trying to beat that. and they
> > are
> > > not that far away from my...lol
> > >
> > >
> >
>
> >
> > >
> >
>
> >
> > >
> >
>
> >
> > >
> >
>
> >
> > > url]
> >
> >
> > At around 2:14 they say that the soundcard has
> a
> > resolution of 16 bits but how does 65536 turn
> into
> > over 4 giga pixels?
>
> 65536x65536=4294836225 ?

Well, I think it just depends on his software but seriously at that sort of resolution I expected way more in those prints he was holding.

_______
September 23, 2013 01:16PM
in the next few days though i want to learn more about the liquid they made and its properties, i hope it is not too brittle to be used in something funtional.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
September 23, 2013 02:47PM
No idea when the Makibot ships, but if it does i'm tempted to get one, just for the fun of having such a small and nice machine, i might put it on my office desk just to impress my collegues winking smiley
September 23, 2013 02:54PM
dissidence Wrote:
> in the next few days though i want to learn more
> about the liquid they made and its properties, i
> hope it is not too brittle to be used in something
> funtional.

That is exactly what I was saying as I was watching it because, in my mind, the printer is not all that revolutionary but that mix where they use drops of salt water to raise the level is. If that mix is brittle it is worthless to me.

_______
September 23, 2013 03:50PM
One real problem I see with this printer is if there is any vibration or movement the liquid will slosh around and seriously effect the print.
September 23, 2013 05:50PM
the issue is that with regular stereolith you project onto the bottom of a glass tub of resin, with this method he floats the resin on top then uses the salt drip system to raise it, this basically causes those ripples you see, but eliminates the z axis stepper. however because it uses a laser to heat the resin instead of a projector its virtually limitless for the size, use a friggen bath tub or something. not really you need something that has uniform walls.
September 23, 2013 06:13PM
MightyMouth Wrote:
> One real problem I see with this printer is if
> there is any vibration or movement the liquid will
> slosh around and seriously effect the print.
All liquid resin printers have that issue and why they install, or the end user installs, a shock absorber type system on the bed. Without it even walking could potentially ruin a print.

_______
September 23, 2013 06:19PM
I dont think so, ive seen a lot that project on to just the bottom of a tub of resin, as long as the sloshing doesnt go down to the bottom of the tub it has no effect. in a lot of videos you can see it sloshing.
September 23, 2013 06:59PM
aduy Wrote:
> I dont think so, ive seen a lot that project on to
> just the bottom of a tub of resin, as long as the
> sloshing doesnt go down to the bottom of the tub
> it has no effect. in a lot of videos you can see
> it sloshing.

Then I don't see how they got around that issue that the big boy 45k+ resin printers were unable to do without a shock absorber system. If the liquid moves at the moment the laser hits it then you are screwed and at 4giga pixel resolution that is so fine that even an ant crawling on the floor could ruin a print (joking there but you walking could unless on a solid cement floor and anchored). The ones with wheels have locking wheels and shock absorbers (just rubber most times) in them.

edit: Typo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2013 06:59PM by Dark Alchemist.

_______
September 23, 2013 07:15PM
We've had an 'introductory' printer done since March, we have just been testing and tweaking this whole time, that will retail for $199 (kit and only as a kit). We may have ours shipped before Makibox does...
September 23, 2013 07:23PM
yeah i forgot about the actual fluid moving, but because its on the surface the problem is worse.
September 23, 2013 07:36PM
Chelsea - QU-BD Wrote:
> We've had an 'introductory' printer done since
> March, we have just been testing and tweaking this
> whole time, that will retail for $199 (kit and
> only as a kit). We may have ours shipped before
> Makibox does...

That isn't saying much since Makibox has been saying theirs was about to ship for years now.

_______
September 23, 2013 08:48PM
My CNC mill can move in 1/10000 inch steps over an 18" x 18" area so that is 32.4 Gigapixels?
January 14, 2014 03:47PM
I'm a little late to the party but I'm ordering parts for four (4) Prusa i2's, which should run about $200 each, give or take. Heated bed, LM8UU bearings, GT2 metal pulleys, no other real shortcuts taken. Wouldn't be possible without Chinese parts but that's no real surprise. We're just going right to the source rather than through a middleman store front.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2014 03:48PM by FlyingLotus1983.
January 14, 2014 03:54PM
Dark Alchemist
dissidence Wrote:
>
> url]

At around 2:14 they say that the soundcard has a resolution of 16 bits but how does 65536 turn into over 4 giga pixels?[/quote]

They make the horrible assumption that for 16 bit stereo, they're going to move their mirror at the resolution of the supply voltage from the sound card. 16 bits on each axis [i]theoretically[/i] yields this, but in reality the machine won't even be close to that number and probably a several orders of magnitude less.
January 14, 2014 04:21PM
FlyingLotus1983
I'm a little late to the party but I'm ordering parts for four (4) Prusa i2's, which should run about $200 each, give or take. Heated bed, LM8UU bearings, GT2 metal pulleys, no other real shortcuts taken. Wouldn't be possible without Chinese parts but that's no real surprise. We're just going right to the source rather than through a middleman store front.
As I figured.

Given a source and enough quantity to get in on bulk buying discounts it could be done but I don't see 200 dollars each with only four units for 75% of the printer. You are still missing the hotend and allthreads + smooth rods.

Sorry, when it comes to China I will never touch metal from them because all of my life the biggest joke has been Chinese Stainless Steel (this was before Made in China was much seen) on pocket, and kitchen, knives because the damn stuff rusted out in toot sweet time whereas Stainless from other countries just lasted and Stainless from the US/UK just didn't rust (as Stainless is supposed to perform).

_______
January 14, 2014 06:36PM
FlyingLotus1983

Are you saying you paid 200 bucks for just bearings, pulleys and a heated bed?

January 14, 2014 08:03PM
Here you go, $199 from QU-BD. I have one of these, and it works. Barebones, but everything is in the box.

[store.qu-bd.com]
January 15, 2014 03:04AM
Isos
Here you go, $199 from QU-BD. I have one of these, and it works. Barebones, but everything is in the box.

[store.qu-bd.com]
PREORDER FOR APRIL DELIVERY

LOL

_______
January 15, 2014 04:43PM
Wow, they got their first round of kits out pretty fast. I'm surprised the next batch will wait until April. I think they're learning to better take lead time into account. Probably a good move.
January 15, 2014 05:23PM
Isos
Wow, they got their first round of kits out pretty fast. I'm surprised the next batch will wait until April. I think they're learning to better take lead time into account. Probably a good move.
Possibly.

The one thing I don't like is that they never have any on hand so they are always months later when they will ship you your printer.

_______
February 03, 2014 11:29PM
waitaki
FlyingLotus1983

Are you saying you paid 200 bucks for just bearings, pulleys and a heated bed?
No. That's the price for everything. Threaded rods, smooth rods, hotend, heated bed, Melzi board, etc. etc. It ended up being about $220 or $230 after getting everything shipped, but that's still pretty respectable. I opted for a J-Head, but the base hotend is a bastardized Mk7/8 design, sure if someone wants to upgrade it later they can, but not a terrible way to cut ones teeth on 3d printing. Oh, the threaded/smooth rods were from McMaster Carr. O7 tool steel, precision ground, not hardened. Plain steel for the threaded rod. No idea if that's domestic or imported or what.

Btw I didn't have this thread set to email notification, sorry for the late reply.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login