Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What reprap should I build?

Posted by vever001 
What reprap should I build?
September 26, 2013 09:10AM
Hello Reprappers,

I intent to build a reprap but to be honest I'm lost between the different types of rep(st)rap and what I can achieve with hardware at my disposal.
I have minimal hardware meaning:
- A hand saw
- A normal drill (no drill press)
- An old printer
- 4 nema 17 stepper motors (http://www.ebay.fr/itm/4-Stepper-motors-DIY-CNC-ROUTER-MILL-LATHE-ROBOT-/120557925061)
- 8 SC16UU linear bearings and some 16mm stainless steels (http://www.ebay.com/itm/SC16UU-SCS16UU-Linear-Motion-Ball-Slide-Bearing-CNC-/110724644034)
- +- 30 8mm bearings
- Some cheap 8mm lead screws

With all this I can probably build a 1X2 repstrap (http://reprap.org/wiki/1X2) but a lot of documentation seems to not be online any more. So I'm afraid to be stuck at some point.
I'm not against buying a full kit of printed pieces to build wathever reprap type but it would be better if I can save some money.
Anyway I will have to buy at least the extruder I guess.

For the electronic part I already have an arduino mega. So I will probably buy a RAMPS.

Could you give me some advices on which rep(st)rap I can build?

Thanks a lot and have an A-1 day winking smiley
Re: What reprap should I build?
September 26, 2013 12:24PM
what do you want to use it for? what do you want to print? how big? how fast? where are you located? how much money can you spare?

give as much info as possible.

now it sounds more like: i have a drivers licence, so what car should i buy?

also, 16mm steel rods is going to be way over build unless you want a printer that can build 1m³ stuff
September 26, 2013 12:52PM
I'm from Belgium. My end goal is to build a mendel to build small-sized objects.

I'm thinking of building a custom repstrap first using the stuff I already have to learn and print mendel parts. The linear bearings I have should allow me to build at least 2 axis easily. The speed is not important right now and I would spend 100-200$ for this repstrap.
September 26, 2013 05:04PM
September 26, 2013 05:28PM
well, i'm also from belgium (kortrijk)
with 200€ you should be able to build a reprap with the stuff you already have

for a first printer i would say to go with something like a prusa 2 since there is a lot of documentation to be found.
look around if there are any fablabs close to you, and go there since they will be able to help you with your printer.

as a personal tip, take your time, and know it's going to take time to build. as to have it finished, i've been in this hobby for over 3 years now,
and my printer still isn't finished. it will never be done since i keep upgrading it. thats the fun/frustrating part of a reprap
September 27, 2013 05:33AM
If you like handcrafting, building something from scratch is still a good idea. Typical RepRap electronics fit to all printer models, including RepStraps. The same for extruders, so you can re-use them later.

For myself I built a WolfStrap. Some €10.- for wood, three pairs of drawer slides and 1m of M8 rod. That's it. You find it in the wiki.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login