Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TCT Show + Personalize

Posted by leadinglights 
TCT Show + Personalize
September 27, 2013 04:21AM
As nobody else has reported on the TCT/Personalize show at the NEC:

I visited the TCT show at the NEC yesterday and got to speak to many of the people that have done so much to make RepRap a success. Richrap and nophead were both there and I got a chance to speak to them and thank them for the many times they have helped me on this forum. Under the Slicer sign I asked about a problem that I was having with slicing and was immediately helped by Alessandro Ranellucci - the developer of Slic3r - in person. Looking through business cards I picked up I found that I had also spoken to Joris Peels without realising it. I wonder how many others I bumped into or spoke to who I would have recognised if they had their forum or community name visible.

By staying until after 4 O'clock, I got free parking and picked up some fillament at a knock down price from one of the stands.

On a slight down note, I did feel that the RepRap and DIY segment was smaller than it was at TCT in 2012 - possibly because in 2012 it was all in a ghetto on one side while this time Makerbot, Ultimaker and others were distributed about the hall.

All in all, a great show and enormously enjoyable - if you missed this years one, try not to miss next year.

Mike
Re: TCT Show + Personalize
September 28, 2013 07:10AM
You also missed out that Adrian Bowyer was on the RepRapPro stand next to the RepRap community stand, and I was on the RepRap stand building a Huxley! Lots of long-term UK-based reprappers dropped in over the course of the 2 days, and said 'Hi', too.

The RepRap area did seem to be busier than the more commercial/corporate stands on both days; probably because it's a bit more approachable for the general public. I spent much more time talking than building, and only got about half-way through the Huxley build. I had a demonstrator Huxley running as well, and it was fun turning it over and demonstrating that it could print upside-down to people!

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
September 28, 2013 01:15PM
I was only able to get there on Thursday and only in the afternoon - I had to come down from Lake Windimere to get there as early as I did. I am sorry that I didn't get to meet Adrian.

Next year I will get my booking early in the calendar.

Mike
September 30, 2013 09:09AM
Does anybody know if there will be any RepRap presence at the 3D Printshow in London in November? [3dprintshow.com]

Mike
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login