Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printer idea: selective melting of a material with freeze thaw hysteresis

Posted by GreenAtol 
Printer idea: selective melting of a material with freeze thaw hysteresis
September 28, 2013 06:01PM
I hope this is an ok place to put this, but I just had a very interesting idea. Almost all materials have a freeze-thaw hysteresis. I forget what it is called, but even ice has this. Suppose, for instance, it melts at 0.1 degrees, and does not re freeze until -0.1 degrees. So suppose you had a block of transparent, bubble free ice in a very precisely controlled chamber, at very close to 0 degrees. You selectively melt the ice in the relevant places, and since the refractive index of liquid water is almost (exactly?) the same as solid ice, you can point the light source wherever you please. To avoid melting along the path of the light, you can focus it on a point, so it is far higher intensity there than elsewhere.

Once melted, the water remains liquid. After you are done melting out a suitable cavity, drain the water, evaporate the last of the liquid with dry air, and then fill the cavity with epoxy, or plaster, or similar. Let it set, then melt away the remaining ice, and you have a nice object.

Now, this example is with water so we can all imagine how it might go easily enough, but I'm sure there are better materials for the task. Some materials have a hysteresis of tens of degrees, but we also want it to be transparent, and for the liquid phase to have nearly the same refractive index, ideally, so the light can be directed anywhere in the volume accurately and still come to a very small point, and not get all blurred etc from lensing along the way.

Ideas on what materials would be better than water/ice? I wonder if there is an additive to water that increases the hysteresis, thereby leaving us less burdened by the need to be very precise about how much energy is deposited by the light source. Although really I wonder if ice would actually be ok.
Re: Printer idea: selective melting of a material with freeze thaw hysteresis
September 28, 2013 06:09PM
Here for instance, I wonder how much the hysteresis is changed by the addition of this protein, the doc says some, just to show there are some substances that might work forth this:

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Ultimately though a material that melted and thawed at a higher temperature, and then just run everything at a higher temperature, and was water soluble or something, might be better, because if say the melt/freeze temperatures were like 300 degrees then you could just cool things down, and inject your engineering plastics into the cavity, then dissolve the material, and you'd skip a processing step to a useful object.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login