Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Corrosion on Stainless Steel

Posted by dudesom 
Corrosion on Stainless Steel
September 29, 2013 02:15PM
Has anyone had their stainless steel rods corrode? How safe are they around salt water?

I'm trying to figure out the feasibility of floating the Peachy Printer so that it raises as it prints. It was one of the points raised in this thread:
[forums.reprap.org]
VDX
Re: Corrosion on Stainless Steel
September 29, 2013 03:15PM
... depends on the composition - had some 'stainless' rods, that corroded really fast in hot fumes, others much slower or showed nearly no corrosion after some months exposure ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
September 29, 2013 03:24PM
What type of hot fumes were you exposing them to?
September 29, 2013 03:33PM
304 is the basic stainless for boats in salt water, but there is also an issue with corrosion caused when different metals touch each other.

Anything near salt water will corrode much more quickly than in a salt free environment. Anything near a tank of salt water will have to be extremly corrosion resistant. The is even more critical when electronics and wiring is involved. Adding heat makes all of this even worst!

All surmountable, but expenive to deal with! smiling smiley

Yvan

Singularity Machine
September 29, 2013 04:15PM
Thanks for the info! The project that I'm working on will also use 3 servos, which I hadn't thought to protect until you mentioned electronics. Thanks for the heads up smiling smiley
[forums.reprap.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2013 04:16PM by dudesom.
VDX
September 29, 2013 04:57PM
dudesom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What type of hot fumes were you exposing them to?

... all sorts of nasty chemicals and acids found in waste combustion with 'subcritical' temperatures eye rolling smiley

I had to seal platinum H2-sensors in stainless housings with laserwelded meshes to allow gas-diffusion into the housing but prevent ashes and small particles to touch the active surfaces.

Was a 'funny time' until we got the best combination for the housing, sensor materials/assembly/body and wire-connections (welding/brazing+sealing) to last more than some weeks in the 'reactor' spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

September 29, 2013 05:16PM
have you been putting wd40 on them?

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

September 29, 2013 05:18PM
Mine? No. This is for a hypothetical add-on to expand the functionality of a yet-to-be-released printer. The printer uses salt water.

@VDX Sounds like you had fun with that tongue sticking out smiley I'm glad we don't need tremendous heat to 3d print (plastic anyway).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2013 05:21PM by dudesom.
VDX
September 29, 2013 06:13PM
... actually I have similar problems with laser-fumes if the exhausting fails or fumes of the 'engraved' plastic or paint get in contact with metallic parts eye popping smiley

Viktor
--------

September 29, 2013 06:34PM
You can get inox nut and bolts in small quantities for fairly cheap from fastener suppliers, they will know which alloys are cheapest. The high grade(strength) inox fasteners get expensive fast, but they would not be needed in a machine like this.

Yvan

Singularity Machine
September 29, 2013 06:45PM
I hope to use mostly plastic fasteners. This is really low-duty/low-precision stuff I'm working on.

At first I didn't know what you meant by inox. I had to google that one tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2013 06:46PM by dudesom.
September 29, 2013 07:53PM
Yes, I don't know why the term 'inox' is not used more often, it is easier to type. smiling smiley

So would you buy the plastic fasteners or would they be FFFed? What is the cost of plastic nuts and bolts anyway? I've got a few and they are usefull. The don't conduct electricty or corrode much.

Or are you thinking more like plastic clips of some type?

Yvan

Singularity Machine
September 29, 2013 08:08PM
I'm thinking they would be 3d printed. What I'm designing are a few linkages and a ratchet mechanism that would actuate a few things via servo. Here's what it looks like right now:
[forums.reprap.org]

The blue is salt water, so part of it is submerged.

Idealy, I'd like to make this a kit where you could buy 3 servos, a Light Dependent Resistor, and a microcontroller (arduino would work) to go with 3d printed parts. This would then allow you to print in other materials on the same printer that was used to make the add-on.

Here's the full thread.
[forums.reprap.org]

One person asked if we could also float the Peachy Printer itself, and this is where we'd need inox smooth rods.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2013 08:11PM by dudesom.
September 29, 2013 08:12PM
For salt water 316 is a better bet often referred to as marine grade stainless, the moly does help a lot.

Having said that moly is expensive and replaces iron not nickel or chrome so a lot of stuff is sold as 316 when it isn't and a lot of "marine grade stainless" is not.

Also beware of crevices eg a metal rod held in a plastic clamp.
September 29, 2013 08:16PM
At this point I'm thinking that stainless probably won't cut it. Also, there are other issues that make z smooth rods more trouble than they're worth. Thanks all for the advice smiling smiley
September 30, 2013 01:44AM
when I was suggesting floating the laser the idea i had was to have the alignment rods on the outside of the build tank so they would not come in contact with either the salt water or the resin.

Note: been looking back on my posts and may not have made this suggestion here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2013 05:40AM by RBisping.
September 30, 2013 08:33AM
I guess I just haven't been thinking big enough tongue sticking out smiley Another solution may be to use plastic sarrus linkages.
September 30, 2013 12:52PM
Stainless is not really "Stainless."

There are grades, and only experts know there difference.

201 = cheapest grade, less chrome nickel
304 = "18/8" steel. Good enough for most uses, a cheaper 316 essentially
316 = molybdenum added, better for medical use
500's = Casings you would see in a heater cartridge that only goes up to about 400-500 degC. (more oxidation resistant)

201 will oxide easily near extruder temperatures.

As far as I know from speaking with U/L sanitation, ALL grades of SS. are food safe.
September 30, 2013 04:04PM
Speaking of corrosion... the little drip detector is bound to corrode. I've played with that kind of thing(salt water+electricity+wires) it is tough to keep functional long term.

How about an optical sensor instead? Cheap and reliable?

Yvan

Singularity Machine
September 30, 2013 04:07PM
That's a good point. I'll have to bring that up with Rylan next time I talk with him. What type do you have in mind? LDR?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2013 04:07PM by dudesom.
October 01, 2013 02:07AM
Humm... not sure. Don't know much about all the various optical sensor. It doesn't take much to throw off some IR optocouplers. Seems like it would be worth experimenting with.

Yvan

Singularity Machine
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login