Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder not working on our first ever print on a Mendel

Posted by Extrudeboy 
Extruder not working on our first ever print on a Mendel
September 30, 2013 12:51PM
Dear Scholars,
We have almost completed our Mendel after more than 12 months building (I know it's shameful, we are already out-of-date). The extruder motor and hot-end work depositing a small PLA blob when we type "extrude" in the print window but the extruder does not work during our first print. The print head moves as if it is printing but nothing comes out and the extruder motor does not move. Are we missing something obvious?
Regards Extrudeboy
Re: Extruder not working on our first ever print on a Mendel
September 30, 2013 12:54PM
Yes, but we need more information to help you. Can you make a video?

When you extrude, a blob should not form, a thin line of ~0.5mm thick filament should extrude like spaghetti
Re: Extruder not working on our first ever print on a Mendel
September 30, 2013 01:19PM
Sorry i have just realised that I should have posted this in the Mendel Forum.
Having read a similar post there, I'll check if the e_steps_per_mm are set high enough then post a video tomorrow if the problem persists.
Yes, as a test, when we type "extrude" in the print window, the hot-end deposits a thin filament but it accumulates in the same place because the carriage does not move (should it?). The hot-end temp is set at 205 C.
When we print a simple STL file, the carriage moves layer by layer but the extruder deposits nothing and the Extruder-motor is motionless.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login