Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Difference Between RepRap Machines and Professional Machines

Posted by BrianC 
Difference Between RepRap Machines and Professional Machines
October 01, 2013 05:22PM
I'm looking to upgrade my reprap, both to achieve better prints and to learn, but I couldn't really think of what to do aside from making everything out of metal. I figure there's already a well known path of upgrades all 'professional' printers have been through, and the only reason repraps aren't as refined is due to a lower budget. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Re: Difference Between RepRap Machines and Professional Machines
October 01, 2013 05:42PM
It's not all based on budget - a lot of it comes down to certain things still being protected by patents.

[haveblue.org]
October 01, 2013 07:57PM
I see, so do you know of any features based on budget?
October 02, 2013 12:09AM
Have Blue
a lot of it comes down to certain things still being protected by patents

I hear this a lot but I think it is a myth (started by speculation from a guy called Duann Scott and propagated in articles like this one). Other than the Formlabs vs. 3D Systems dispute, which 1) involved a large sum of money and 2) has been settled, I don't know of any specific cases where an improvement to a low-cost 3D printer has been hampered because of threats from a patent holder.

Even though technically (in the US) building a one-off system in your garage is sufficient to infringe a patent, for all practical purposes a garage tinkerer almost never has to worry about what is or is not protected by patents.

I'm not saying you're wrong, Have Blue, but do you (or anyone else here) have any specific examples? I'm happy to change my mind if anyone can enlighten me. smiling smiley

BrianC: Building everything out of metal is a good way to improve quality. A stiff frame and high quality bearings, belts, and pulleys seem to be frequently recommended (along with proper calibration and tuning).
October 02, 2013 12:45AM
Heated build chamber and laser sintering are two items that could be included in manufactured 3D printers were it not for patents. The SLS patent will expire next Feb though I don't know that the technology will be able to make it down to the rank and file Reprap users due to cost but we'll see what happens after some have had hands on the technology for a couple of years or what others might have been hoarding in the garage. I'd reckon though that some of the lower end commercial manufacturers will implement it .fairly quickly as will the high end competitors that were shut out by the patent.

OTOH the heated chamber is being used by Reprapers it's just not to my knowledge a formal part of any variant.
woo
October 02, 2013 01:11AM
in my opinion, when i see print comparission between stratasys, and good tuned reprap:

stratasys has heated chamber so it can print nice abs priints.

in print qualitiy il call it equal, or reprap better, for example, first out of google:

nothing special, i can have better prints, but in pla, not abs because my parts are warping...

better fillament control (also higher price) in profi printers, but thats only way to print years and years with same printer settings.

and in my opinion better optimised software, but "our" guys are getting there really quick smiling smiley
October 02, 2013 01:14AM
Building everything out of metal isn't a substitute for good design. You can still have vibration, noise, and low rigidity, lack of straightness, or loss of consistency due to issues with metal. I think the only advantage of metal is that it "feels" like it is stronger.

CubeX is a giant frosted acrylic frame isn't it?
October 02, 2013 03:15AM
About the heated build chambre patent, doesn't it only apply to an actively heated and temperature controlled chambre?

A box around a heated bed doesn't infringe the patent, no?

Yvan

Singularity Machine
October 02, 2013 12:50PM
vegasloki
OTOH the heated chamber is being used by Reprapers

SLS is also being used by Reprappers.
October 02, 2013 04:50PM
the thing about patents is, they really only apply if you are selling the product, if you are using it for personal use you can basically do whatever you want. which is why repraps sort of get past a lot of patent stuff, the designs are open source which means non for profit.
October 02, 2013 11:25PM
The reason some Reprap designs don't get sued is because the companies that control the patent aren't litigating them. If one were to post a design that infringed on a patent it's possible they could be sued. For a couple of one off instances it's not going to be a big deal legally because it's likely they won't take any action besides a cease and desist. Being either open source or not for profit does not relieve the legal responsibility of patent infringement.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login