Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Makerbot's new 'Flex' and dissolvable filaments...

Posted by j4ysen 
Makerbot's new 'Flex' and dissolvable filaments...
October 04, 2013 03:07PM
Hey Everyone,
I noticed that Makerbot are making two new kinds of filaments:
  • Flexible
  • Dissolvable (HIPS) Which dissolved in Limonene

What do we think about this? How do you think this will affect Reprap and 3d printing in general?

[www.3dppvd.org]
[www.makerbot.com]
[www.makerbot.com]
Re: Makerbot's new 'Flex' and dissolvable filaments...
October 04, 2013 03:15PM
Dissolvable filament... sure can dissolve your bank account at $65 US für ein kilo! winking smiley

This kind of stuff isn't new though, hasn't it been available(expensively) from other companies for years?

Yvan

Singularity Machine
October 04, 2013 03:21PM
Hahah

Well I guess it isn't new, but it isn't popular though..
When makerbot adopts this as their own idea, reprap will soon follow, right?
October 04, 2013 03:38PM
That dissolvable filament is HIPS, which has been available for a little while now for much cheaper than MakerBot sells it. See [ultimachine.com] . Flexible materials have been available too. MakerBot isn't any sort of leader in 3D printing.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
October 04, 2013 03:42PM
Their soluble filament is HIPS, which Ultimachine and others have carried for quite a while. Lulzbot has done dual extrusion experiments with it in the past. MBI's price for it is outrageous - Ulti sells it for roughly the same price as their ABS spools.

When makerbot adopts this as their own idea, reprap will soon follow, right?

LOL no. As usual, MBI is late to the ball game.
October 04, 2013 03:51PM
LOL I know that reprap was there first! Reprap is always there first!
What I'm saying is, with makerbot's marketshare and popularity among people like architects etc, will the reprap begin to adopt this as a standard, because currently everything's experimental

Have I got this wrong, is makerbot merely putting it on sale as an experiment, or actually supporting and recommending it?
October 04, 2013 04:44PM
I guess that's the new Stratasys pricing?

- akhlut

Just remember - Iterate, Iterate, Iterate!

[myhomelessmind.blogspot.com]
October 05, 2013 05:09AM
I've been using HIPS for a few months now. What I find expensive is not the HIPS but the limonene to dissolve it. The HIPS reels if I remember cost about he same as ABS reel for the same weight. I bought one from Italy and one from the UK.

I found that unless I use new uncontaminated limonene it will severely weaken and sometimes distort the ABS parts, so I cannot re-use the limonene. For every kG of HIPS I will probably need a few litres of limonene unless I can purify and re-use it.

At first I used to just use the same limonene over and over again until it became so dense that it would not dissolve any more HIPS but then I started to realise how much damage it was causing and later figured out that it was only used limonene that caused the damage. Fresh limonene out of the bottle seems to cause no ill effect.

For flexible filament I've seen somewhere (on youtube I think) that you can make parts out of PLA and then dunk them in some solvent, I think it was carburettor cleaner but not sure. After some time soaking they become very flexible, enough to make things such as drive belts, tyres and such.

Edit: just found the prices I paid for HIPS - it is actually more expensive than ABS - Euro 48 + 19 for shipping from Italy compared to the latest ABS filemanet I bought at Eur 26 + 19 for shipping from Denmark

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2013 05:40AM by lister6520.
October 10, 2013 11:44PM
FWIW, wholesale HIPS is less than ABS, IIRC.
October 11, 2013 12:54PM
Just to add some info here, I would bet good money that the flexible filament they are peddling is just rebranded Polycapralactone (PCL) - which is actually one of the first EVER materials extruded on RepRap during the very early Bath Uni development days.

You can find good info here:
[reprap.org]

Some people might be more familiar with it under the name "polymorph" or "instamorph" and other similar names for a low-temp manipulatable modelling plastic. You can buy it on amazon as granules.
October 11, 2013 04:34PM
@ Sanjay

I was thinking the same thing but couldn't find any links at the time of my post, so I left it out. If it's true that drastically decreases the appeal of the material, given its low melting point. Sure with MBI would post some technical details on their materials, rather than just "look at this new magical mystery material!"
October 11, 2013 06:43PM
There is already flexible PLA sold by several companies. TPU round belting also works but it is very fickle to print and needs more experimentation/documentation. There is also a flexible filament I've seen on Thingiverse made by a European company, claiming up to 50mm/s print speed. Bet it's a modified TPU as well but who knows....
November 20, 2013 12:29AM
The Makerbot flex filament is either Capa 6500 or Capa 6800 resin from what I can tell (look at the MSDS's from each and compare - they're exactly the same except Makerbot omitted the "Capa" trade name from their PDF):
[www.perstorp.com]

They have 1kg samples and it's biodegradable and pretty non-toxic from the looks of it, in case anyone wants to do some experimenting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2013 12:35AM by Eric Young.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login