Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Filament closest to caucasian skin color

Posted by Fl0yd 
Filament closest to caucasian skin color
October 20, 2013 05:30PM
What color of filament is closest to that of caucasian skin? Perhaps natural PLA or ABS?

Fl0yd

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2013 10:00PM by Fl0yd.
Re: Filament closes to caucasian skin color
October 20, 2013 06:23PM
What a curious question! smiling smiley I don't know the answer, but I am curious about the question. I am guessing that you are building something for a prosthetics application, and you want a close match between the device and the recipient's skin color?

Richrap has done some work dyeing Nylon 618 filament with some pretty spectacular results. This probably would work with other filaments too, and you can mix and match dyes to make any particular color you like.
October 20, 2013 08:02PM
My use is much less exciting than that, I'm just trying to print a fake hand for Halloween.

Fl0yd
October 20, 2013 08:58PM
That was my second guess, honest. smiling smiley
October 20, 2013 09:17PM
Some forms of natural ABS are cream coloured, some are white.

Natural PLA is transparent, like glass.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Re: Filament closest to caucasian skin color
October 20, 2013 10:50PM
Is that "james luis" guy paid by Alibaba or what? Every damn post he makes is a link to it, or to his email to buy filament or pellets. Seriously admins, isn't what he does just plain spamming since he's been here?
October 21, 2013 02:46AM
There is a "report post" button you can use to let the mods know, that way they don't need to read the whole board the whole time.
and yes.. you are right ;-)
October 21, 2013 07:36AM
No Flesh tones but this thread might give you some ideas [forums.reprap.org]
October 21, 2013 06:47PM
The simplest way would be to print in natural/transparent-ish PLA and just paint to any color you wish.
October 21, 2013 10:18PM
DaveS
There is a "report post" button you can use to let the mods know, that way they don't need to read the whole board the whole time.

I know Dave, and I've reported "james luis" (LOL he's no hispanic for sure winking smiley) a couple of times in the past few months, and was puzzled that the guy hadn't been banned like 4 months ago. Since two admins had posted here, I though saying it in the open would attract their attention. Which it apparently did. winking smiley
October 21, 2013 10:24PM
Floyd, I found skin-colored PLA filament here but it's out of stock! [www.justpla.com]

Perhaps you could simply spray paint over whatever filament color you have handy.

Edit: I'm sorry to admit I overlooked MPower's reply, who said the same thing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2013 10:26PM by NormandC.
October 22, 2013 12:53AM
Thank you all for the suggestions.

I only had black PLA and ABS on hand, so based on nophead's descriptions I've ordered a spool of natural ABS. I will see how the tone is after the print, then likely use craft or spray paint to change it if needed.

Fl0yd
November 19, 2013 07:02AM
Siridi 3D's tan filament comes close.

It will be on sale in my webshop from january

--

[www.filamentenmeer.nl]
PLA in 15 different colors
ABS in 17 different colors
Attachments:
open | download - tan, maroon, wood.JPG (477.6 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login