Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ABS purity

Posted by Meirbns 
ABS purity
October 21, 2013 06:47AM
Hi,
I'm using 1.75mm ABS spool. It seems like ABS impurities clogged the nozzle (0.3mm) from time to time. Raising temp to 250^C does not help.
(Head temp is stable and accurate using external fluke and type K TC).
I'm looking for a supplier where i can buy pure ABS that does not clogged 0.3mm or even 0.2mm nozzles.
I'll appreciate recommendation for 1.75mm ABS supplier if anybody who has experience with small orifice machine.

B.T.W.,
The only way I overcome clogging (without taking apart the nozzle) and without changing temperature is:
Pause print, Lift head, using dentist needle which has micro spirals on it (used for tooth roots removal)
(see picture) extracting the blockage while temperature is still 235^C. Then, manually push some additional material through nozzle and continue with printing.

Thanks in advance
Attachments:
open | download - Nozzle needle.jpg (72 KB)
A2
Re: ABS purity
October 21, 2013 07:25AM
Ask the supplier/distributor for material certification.
If they don't provide you with a mat'l cert, assume there is chicken feathers compounded into your filament.

There are tests to determine particulate count, and size.
A simple test is to dissolve the plastic in a solvent and then filter it.
Examine the filter under a microscope.
October 21, 2013 03:45PM
If you want people to suggest a good supplier, it would help to know what part of the world you are in.

In the U.S. I like Ultimachine.com the ABS I get from them works flawlessly so far (12+ rolls to date from them).
October 21, 2013 05:24PM
are you running a filament cleaner ?

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

October 22, 2013 03:35AM
Thanks,
I'll be happy to get some additional information about filament cleaner.
however the extracted material when nozzle clogged, has different viscosity, gel type which is part of the ABS compound.
October 22, 2013 04:31AM
the filament cleaner just wipes the filament as it is consumed , i typically find it becomes essential on chinese filament and nozzle sizes less than 0.4mm,

there are quite a few on thingiverse, but it doesn't particularly have to be very high tech, i just use a bull clip and a bit of folded over toilet paper,

see this for inspiration : simplest filament cleaner

this however won't stop embedded rubbish and dirt in the filament itself, however i use the cheapest chinese stuff i can get my hands on, and this may happen once every 5 to 6 spools while running a 0.3mm nozzle

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2013 04:33AM by thejollygrimreaper.

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

October 22, 2013 12:19PM
Nice,
I like the idea and the simplicity. I would us a lint free paper used for optical cleaning or semiconductor facilities.

Dear Tmorris9,
I'm living in Israel, so I guess that shipment from any part of the globe will be OK as long as shipment cost is reasonable.

I attached 2 pictures. a general view of my designed system. (I used salvaged accurate microscope stages), 2nd is a close look
of the print head, i'm using 40W heater, type K TC, Strain relief for TC and heater, cooled "filament neck", and dynamically cooled stepper motor.

Thanks for the support.
Attachments:
open | download - 20131022_184756.jpg (326 KB)
open | download - Heater.jpg (161.7 KB)
October 22, 2013 12:38PM
I had an encounter with bad 1.75 black ABS a year ago. Parts of the material did not melt at ABS temperatures and were easily recognizable as lumps. If you bend the filament it will break where these clumps are within the filament, you can clearly see it is not bending smoothly at all. Maybe you have some stuff from the same batch.
Cheers
Björn
October 23, 2013 06:02AM
I think black ABS can be problematic, because it's easy to hide all colors of recycled ABS in black. I second Ultimachine. Their black is very good, but it likes nozzle temps higher than most. I've also had good results with Lulz ABS, but I've not tried Lulz black.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login