Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Intro and guidance request

Posted by jfrabat 
Intro and guidance request
October 23, 2013 12:20PM
Hi guys!

This is my first post, so I thought it would be proper etiquette to introduce myself. My name is Felipe, and I live in Panama (the one in Central America with a big ol' Canal running through the middle, not the one in Florida). I have always been a tinkerer, and love doing my own stuff. My hobbies include building model airplanes, 4X4, sea fishing, basketball, air rifle shooting, photography and others. I would not call myself a computer guru, but I do know the basic stuff (I build my own computers, so I am not completely computer illiterate!).

I have been reading about 3D printers, a subject that has always interested me, but now, the prices are within reach. To me, a machine that can build most things your mind can imagine (including parts to improve the machine itself and replicate parts for building an additional machine) is kind of a DIYer's dream!

I have been looking around the web for a complete kit to have it shipped down here to Panama, and, since I have yet to find another person doing 3D printing here, I need something that's reliable. I have been looking at the MendelMax 1.5+, which seems to fit my needs, but, since I have no experience with 3D printing, I figured I would ask the people who know about it before making any investment. What I would like to print is parts for my remote controlled planes, phone stands and cases, some artwork (this is more of my wife's domain!), parts for around the house, camera mounts, and that kind of stuff (which leads me to believe that ABS is most likely the best material for me).

So far, I have really liked this kit, but I wanted some informed opinions as to what you think about the kit. For me, print quality is important, so I was thinking about the .35mm head; Brad, the owner of Ultibot, however, is recommending the .5mm J head, stating that it will be easier to get it up and running with this more forgiving head, and that I could always change heads later on. So, let's hear it; what do you think of this kit? What do you recommend? WHY do you recommend something different?

Anyways, thanks in advance for your help; God willing, I will be printing stuff by Xmas.
Re: Intro and guidance request
October 24, 2013 06:24AM
Hello Felipe,
That looks like a lovely kit, I don't have a great deal of 3D printer experience, BUT i'm also interested in 4x4's: i've got a 1961 Land Rover series 2 that I recently fitted a modern 300TDi engine into cool smiley

So really I'm just saying hello!

oh and here's my other pride and joy grinning smiley

October 24, 2013 07:47AM
Wow, that kit looks like is very high spec.

I bought a mendelmax kit from blomker.com and it works ok, but the ultibots one definitely looks better.

However one thing I notice is that it seems to use 3mm filament. I'm not an expert but it seems that 1.75mm is possible more common
October 24, 2013 03:17PM
I have no affiliation to reprappro, but I bought a Huxley recently.
It's BRILLIANT.

My advice, buy a huxley, it comes with a 0.5 nozzle and enough PLA to print 3 more printers. (no really)
learn on that, and then print something else if you want something else.
(cos then you'll have the experience to, and you'll know what you want)

For me, the Huxley 140mmx140mmx80mm build space is plenty.
1.75mm PLA is fine, I'm not even used ABS yet.

Go small, once you've learnt what you're doing, it's easy to go large.

hope this helps,

Dave.
October 24, 2013 04:14PM
@DaveS

Personally I found that PLA is not that useful if you are printing replacement parts for household items, e.g feet on my step ladder.

I switched to ABS after a few prints and have not use PLA for a while, but I can see it has some applications.

I also find I need larger and larger build volumes e.g to print tall objects, so think that starting with a small machine, would quickly be limiting.
October 24, 2013 04:16PM
If you want a MendelMax, (And they are very good printers) You might take a look at the original designer's shop. Mendelmax.com and makerstoolworks.com. There you will find the 2.0 version which has some improvements over the 1.5 you linked. There is no moral imperative to buy from the designer but you often get the latest design improvements that way.

Bryan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login