Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Layers not sticking to eachother

Posted by zembecowicz 
Layers not sticking to eachother
October 24, 2013 02:16AM
I put together a Prusa i2, and had successfully printed a few things. Lately I've encountered a problem where the first layer of the print will stick to the bed quite well, but subsequent layers don't adhere. I have run into this issue with both PLA and ABS.
I don't think it's temperature related, since I've started at 170 degrees and gradually worked my way up to 235 (I have a Budaschnozzle, which according to the manufacturer shouldn't be used above 240). I have a .35 MM head, so I'm using a layer height of .28. If anyone has anything that they could suggest I check or try, I would be very greatful.

I have attached a few photos as well. The one named pla.jpg is of a "finished" print, and "abs.jpg" is a closeup of the print issue.
Attachments:
open | download - pla.jpg (139.1 KB)
open | download - abs.jpg (115.6 KB)
Re: Layers not sticking to eachother
October 24, 2013 03:16AM
try a lower layer height, and slower too.
October 24, 2013 03:16AM
.28 is quite high for a .35 nozzle. General rule is never higher than 80% of nozzle thickness

I tend to use .2 or .25 layer height for a .35 nozzle
October 24, 2013 03:29AM
you might also try increasing the flow, what your extruder setup.
October 24, 2013 10:55PM
flow rate needs adjusting. is your feedstock diamiter consistent?

also that filiment out of the extruder in the second image is curled. Is the nozzle slightly clogged?
October 24, 2013 11:39PM
You don't mention what your speed is but if it's too fast that could be it.

And yes with a .35mm nozzle stick with .25mm layer height or lower. I use .25 for rough items where looks are not that important and all others it's between .15 to .25.
October 25, 2013 02:33PM
What's your steps/mm for Z-axis?

Is it correct?
October 26, 2013 08:50PM
Looks like you could drive a bus under that nozzle if your second pic is anything to go by. What have you set it to?

Click here to login