Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RepRap Bounties

Posted by bobc 
Re: RepRap Bounties
December 11, 2013 10:22PM
jb92563
If I was a developer I would not want to do a lot of work only to find that another developer has thrown something together quickly just to claim the bounty early and make all my time a waste even though I had a better solution.

Communication will be important. You can tell people that you are working on a bounty by commenting on it in the git page (among other ways, of course). See this link for an example of what it looks like.

The backers vote on whether a given effort is suitable to receive the bounty or not, so if there are multiple developers fighting over one bounty (which should not be normal), there is a way for the backers to decide. There is a dispute resolution process too, but that is only for conflicts that cannot be resolved through voting.
December 11, 2013 10:49PM
Senake
Would it be worth starting a crowd fund on Kickstarter or Indiegogo to get together an initial pot of cash?
It does not make sense to raise money with Kickstarter and then send that money to Bountysource. Bountysource is an alternative to Kickstarter, not a step "further down the chain". The idea is that the bounty itself is publicized, and if people want to fund it, they send money directly to Bountysource.

Another problem with a "pot of cash" is that RepRap wouldn't know what to do with a pot of cash even if it had one. Who would decide how to parcel it out? Bounties allow a distributed decision-making process, which fits well with the distributed nature of RepRap.

Senake
For that reason, I would be happy to help with this - putting together a video, doing a bit of pr etc.
The only way bounties will work is if enough people know about them. There are already funded bounties and requests for funds starting to show up in the new Bounties forum. If you could publicize this it would be really helpful! smiling smiley
July 29, 2014 08:02AM
I've followed that topic only from a distance, and I notice that the reprap wiki page initiated by bobc (thanks for that) only list software projects.

Is there any limitation against hardware (electronics or even mechanical) projects that make them impossible or more difficult to target in that bounty system ?
July 30, 2014 04:32AM
Actually, hardware is encouraged!

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

April 13, 2022 05:52AM
This is cool but I feel like it's going to get buried if this doesn't get stickied soon. No way to find it on the RepRap Wiki page and if it's not on the first page of the forum, it's going to the abyss.
VDX
April 13, 2022 06:24AM
... look at the date ... its obviously "in the abyss" -- but hey, this is a forum and not twitter or facebook! - if you know, what/how to search, not so far away too smoking smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
April 16, 2022 03:06AM
i don't know how to use this web
VDX
April 16, 2022 04:14AM
... either search with "all dates" set (to get all the posts older than 30 days), or per google-search in the sub-forums ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login