Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hairs, weakness, and variation in color

Posted by BobHewson 
Hairs, weakness, and variation in color
October 27, 2013 04:07PM
I have been trying to print a cone for use in a filament spool holder ("OSFA Filament Spool Holder" from Thingiverse).

Details:
Repentier and Slic3r, both latest versions.
Using PLA 1.75mm
Extusion temp 185C
Heated bed 60C
Nozzle is 0.50
Layer height 0.20
Fan is used, blowing on upper portion of hotend not the printed part.

Questions:
1)There are filaments going from one cone to the other plusmany stray filaments on the interior sections. Virtually every layer for filaments going between parts. How do I eliminate these hairs?
2) There are distinct color variations from lighter blue (lower 1/4"), medium blue with a bit more gloss, bright blue with gloss, top 1/2"
3) structure is very weak in 1st sample which used infil of 18%. Second sample which used 25% infill was stronger and had stronger structure. Second sample still had filaments between items but color while still variable was more subtle. Does infill % have any relationship to the color changes?

Photo P1050741 was the 1st print
Photo P1050744-edited-1 was the second print

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Bob
Attachments:
open | download - P1050741.JPG (156.4 KB)
open | download - P1050744_edited-1.JPG (139 KB)
Re: Hairs, weakness, and variation in color
October 27, 2013 08:50PM
Hi,

I can help with the hairs,

retract setting needs looking at and extruder needs calibrating.

I am printing with 1.75 PLA and a Bowden tube.
My retract is 2.1mm, and I haven't gone below 0.25 yet for layer height.
My prints were hairy till I sorted my retract amount and speed.

Oh, and calibrate, it all means nothing unless you calibrate your extruder and measure your actual filament.

If you read RichRaps blog he did an excellent series of articles on Slic3r, Bowden tubes, retracting and speeds.
Well worth a read, he's done the research for us.

Cheers,
Re: Hairs, weakness, and variation in color
November 13, 2013 09:40PM
Thanks, I have made improvements in "hair" problem, but still a few.

Re-read RichRap's blogs and the new manual forSlicer and made a few changes. Seems when I switched extruders and re-flashed my i/o board it didn't "take". Found the problem and now am extruding much better.

Better control of extuded plasic has also resolved my color variation and weakness.

There is sure a learning curve with this hobby! There are lots of answers out there, but they are often hard to locate.

Bob
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login