Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need Help Understanding Control Board

Posted by Smiddleton 
Need Help Understanding Control Board
November 02, 2013 05:21PM
Hey Guys,
I am new to the 3D printer arena. Please be patient with me if I ask stupid questions. I have researched the Sanguinololu control board. I was about to purchase it but found a company that was willing to donate parts to my 3d printer project. The problem is, I can't figure out what would be the equivalent of a sanguinololu. Is there a microcontroller kit out there that repetier host (other printer software) could be loaded onto other than a sanguinololu? Thanks in advance for the help. I really appreciate these forums and everyone in them that make them possible!
Sincerely,
S.Man
Re: Need Help Understanding Control Board
November 02, 2013 06:00PM
Doing a search on google or in the RepRap site can show you a lot???
search "3D printer control board"

Sanguinololu is a Sanguino (arduino) work alike with Polulu drivers

[reprap.org]

A RAMPS 1.4 on a adruino Mega it also uses Polulu drivers

RepRap Arduino Mega Pololu Shield (RAMPS)
[reprap.org]

Azteeg X3 3DP Reprap Controller w/ ATMEGA2560
[www.panucatt.com]

RUMBA (Reprap Universal Mega Board with Allegro driver)

RAMBO controller

Basically need a 3 axis controller board with some smarts to host Sprinter or Marlin firmware

confused smiley
November 02, 2013 07:01PM
Thanks for the reply, would this STM32 Discovery board work? [www.st.com]
Or the Nutiny board? [www.nuvoton.com]
I am pretty sure these are both 32 bit and can drive up to 4 stepper motors.
Sorry, I don't understand the terminology, I am a materials engineer, great for hardware, but not so much electronics, not that I can't learn. It's pretty cool stuff! Thanks again for the help.
S.Man
November 02, 2013 07:48PM
The boards you mentioned could be programmed to work, but good luck doing that! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

The boards that Cozmicray mentioned have been more or less designed especially for 3D printers, and have an awful lot of help/ support with them too (search for reprap wiki).

I've got a 3Drag controller, but if i could go back in time I would probably have gone for a RAMPS board, or maybe a RUMBA. my 3Drag board doesn't have a lot of help on the internet (yet!) but it's easy enough to get to grips with once you sit down and google it all smiling smiley
November 02, 2013 08:10PM
thanks for the information. I guess it just comes down to cost. The search continues! drinking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login