Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fuel Injectors

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Fuel Injectors
June 12, 2007 09:52AM
I know that it's several steps away from self replication but could commercial fuel injectors be used in the extruder? Peizos could give a lot of control and a high rate of 'fire'.
Re: Fuel Injectors
June 12, 2007 11:59AM
we definitely looked into this, except with carburetor jets. the problem was finding a reliable supplier and such. i eventually gave up when i discovered acorn nuts made out of aluminum =)

i'd love to see someone pursue this research in more depth.
June 12, 2007 02:27PM
I guess fuel injectors would need a very low viscosity polymer to function.
In my resin research I have stumbled across Methymetacrylate wich has an incredibly low viscosity, something like Ether or Acetone. Unluckily it has also it's low boiling point.
But maybe for very accurate, fast polymerizing UV-set mixes, it would be the ideal candidate for fuel injectors or inkjets....
June 12, 2007 02:48PM
Not nice stuff, reeks to high heaven and can crosslink rather energetically. I use it occasionally in small amount with epoxies to make a free-radical cure system that uses the acrylate to form a short term handleing strength and then uses the epoxy to get the long term strength. But I mix it with about 50 parts sand prior to using it.

Furfural alcohol is water-like in visocisity, but there is currently a patented process for using it in 3d printing applications. They use an inkjet system the size of a pickup-truck bed, and charge a $1millon for each system. Its sold to foundries to print off prototype molds and small part runs. Look for the patent to see if it covers what we would be trying to do.

Mike

The thoughts and ideas expressed in this post do not reflect those of my employer and are intended only as communications between individuals. Any attempts at implement are at your own risk

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2007 09:26PM by ohiomike.
June 12, 2007 02:54PM
I don't think patents matter if your not doing anything commercial do they?

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
June 12, 2007 03:08PM
True, if you dont manufacture the design for sale there really isnt anything they can do to you. It is very unlikley they would have been granted a patent on the production of a furfural bonded part (since bakelite was made with furfural).

However I havent been able to find the patent so its quite possible that it was denied on the basis of prior art. Given how often that happens in the foundry industy its not hard to believe.

Mike

The thoughts and ideas expressed in this post do not reflect those of my employer and are intended only as communications between individuals. Any attempts at implement are at your own risk

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2007 09:25PM by ohiomike.
June 12, 2007 04:08PM
Maybe it's my nose, but it smells a between ether and xylol to me.
Rather sweetish and reminiscent of any common paint solvent.
But anyway, if Furfural alcohol is being used for exactly this application, much better. It's cheaper too!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login