Reprap firmware help? i3 + Full Graphic display required
November 11, 2013 09:53PM
Hi!

I thought I would pop this into the general page to gain more traffic
Sneaky sneaky.

Does anyone here use an i3 printer with a (RepRapDiscount) full graphical display?
[www.reprapdiscount.com]

I am unable to get any of my i3 firmwares to work with this LCD.
I have tried to mimic my old i2 firmware (where the LCD works) and nothing - It compiles but fails to work.

The LCD works fine, I have compiled the firmware with FullGraphic modules/options, but the firmware fails to work right for my i3 - I have a working i3 firmware (EinSTein Variant) and when I add the modules for the Full Graphical display, it compiles and uploads - But the display always fails to work... When I revert back to any other firmware the display works... But my printer wont run with my other firmware.

Can't get the Full Graphical to work. Has anyone got one of these units?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2013 10:07PM by kingoddball.
Re: Reprap firmware help? i3 + Full Graphic display required
November 12, 2013 01:20AM
list both firmwares here as zip file uploads. someone will compare them. likely there are issues with the communication protocol to the display. some setting needs to be changed.
November 12, 2013 04:22PM
Thanks.
I will upload today. Thank you smiling smiley
November 13, 2013 05:10PM
Hello,

I am also having problems with this display and a new rumba board, the display lights up but it shows no graphics.

If you are using the latest release of Marlin it seems like a commit from somewhere over the last few weeks broke the support for this display, try running from a marlin commit from a few weeks ago to see if it works.

I am still trying to work out if there is a bug raised for this or if someone is trying to fix it.
January 24, 2014 08:18PM
I am having the EXACT same problem using the latest release of Marlin. Yup, they broke something important.

"try running from a marlin commit from a few weeks ago to see if it works."

I am running a RUMBA board with the Reprapdiscount Full Graphic Smart Controller and unfortunately I don't have an earlier version of the firmware to install. I need something from about 6 months - 1 year ago (early to mid year 2013) to get it up and running.

Please, please tell me where I can find earlier commit of the marlin firmware. I have looked everywhere (https://github.com/ErikZalm/Marlin) and every place imaginable and I cannot find an earlier firmware version anywhere.

Where can I find it?

Thanks,

Charles.
January 24, 2014 08:37PM
upload your firnware in attachment and someone will likely help you. I have yet to see something in this post i can address.

in the mean while look here:

[forum.reprapdiscount.com]
February 01, 2014 06:53AM

Please, please tell me where I can find earlier commit of the marlin firmware.

Github shows every commit ever made. If you click on a commit you can download it.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
April 29, 2014 07:36AM
I have a new Full Graphics Display and tried Marlin_v1 on 2 different Arduino 2560. No display.
[github.com]
the zip file is named Marlin-Marlin_v1 when downloaded from github. I don't know what other information to give.
I don't have a Reprap built yet. I just have the Display, a Ramps 1.4, a newer version of the display, 5 stepper driver boards and powered it up with the USB cable. I have the not plugged in any of the thermistors, limit switches or stepper motors.
Made only changed in the downloaded Marlin_v1 to enable the FGD(ispaly).
In the configuration I uncommented the line:
#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER
I placed the library U8glib in the library folder.
The software compiles and uploads.
I programmed 2 different Arduino 2560 several times. Still not working.
Am I missing something or do you think I have a defective Display?
Attachments:
open | download - M_ide.JPG (164.4 KB)
open | download - M_minimum_hardware.JPG (114.7 KB)
April 29, 2014 05:56PM
charleslow
Please, please tell me where I can find earlier commit of the marlin firmware. I have looked everywhere (https://github.com/ErikZalm/Marlin) and every place imaginable and I cannot find an earlier firmware version anywhere.

Where can I find it?

Thanks,

Charles.

ddurkee0
I have a new Full Graphics Display and tried Marlin_v1 on 2 different Arduino 2560. No display.
[github.com]
the zip file is named Marlin-Marlin_v1 when downloaded from github. I don't know what other information to give.

The list of commits is at [github.com] and is accessible under the 'commits' tab near the top of [github.com].

The zipfile is updated with each new commit, with older zipfiles accessible from under the "Browse code ->" links at each older commit in the list.

If you were working from a zip file, the date and time of the most recent commit stored as the modification times of the files within the archive at [github.com] link. If you extracted the files from the archive with modification times intact, then you can get the date of your copy's most recent commit from them, and then try to align it with the log at [github.com]
April 29, 2014 09:51PM
This website / page has links to older versions (not all of them) of Arduino and RAMPS software: [www.nextdayreprap.co.uk]
April 29, 2014 09:52PM
"http://www.nextdayreprap.co.uk/reprap-downloads/"
May 07, 2014 09:42PM
I found that I could use the latest Marlin and Arduino (Marlin-Marlin_v1, Arduino 1.0.5).
The problem was that I didn't set all of the required configuration items in the Configuration.h file/tab.
The Full Graphics Display is fine. The Ebay seller just didn't know to tell me to check the configuration.h or how to troubleshoot a blank display)
I followed a tutorial walk-through on one of the Reprap kit sellers websites.
I think it was this one: [replicatorwarehouse.com]
replicatorwarehouse.com/get-started-with-marlin-frimware-for-rw-prusa-i3
Thank you replicatorwarehouse
February 20, 2015 11:10AM
ddurkee0
I found that I could use the latest Marlin and Arduino (Marlin-Marlin_v1, Arduino 1.0.5).
The problem was that I didn't set all of the required configuration items in the Configuration.h file/tab.
The Full Graphics Display is fine. The Ebay seller just didn't know to tell me to check the configuration.h or how to troubleshoot a blank display)
I followed a tutorial walk-through on one of the Reprap kit sellers websites.
I think it was this one: [replicatorwarehouse.com]
replicatorwarehouse.com/get-started-with-marlin-frimware-for-rw-prusa-i3
Thank you replicatorwarehouse

Hello. I tried to check out the tutorial, but the link doesn't work! sad smiley

Do you remember how you got your display working?
February 20, 2015 12:21PM
Hi psneddon,
It was a problem in the Marlin files for the Arduino MEGA2560.
I recommend you get the latest revision. (And also get any required libraries.)
Using the Arduino IDE, from your sketchbook, open Marlin.
Find the tab for configuration.h and open the file.
Go through all of the statements #DEFINE and make sure the values match what you have on your personal REPRAP.
I don't remember exectly what the problem was in my case. But it was an obvious configuration #DEFINE that I needed to correct.
I'll throw in a few examples from my configuration.h file. You can use my settings only as a reference. It is likely your settings will be different.
** I'm not sure how much about compilers you know... so when a line starts with // the line is ignored. When you see # it tells the compiler to take a course of action. **
// I'm using a MEGA2560 and the latest RAMPS:
#ifndef MOTHERBOARD
#define MOTHERBOARD 33
#endif
// My power supply is a 30 Amp, 12V brick from Ebay. If you define the xbox the software limit the current draw. I don't need to worry about current.
#define POWER_SUPPLY 1
// note to psneddon - I kind of remember that I didn't have the thermistor correct and it the software couldn't work.
// I think the thermistors not having a #DEFINE value set correctly was THEconfiguration error to cause the display to be blank (I'm thinking the code got trapped in an infinite loop or something similar). I know it doesn't look related but I think it was the problem.
// the amount of code written in the MARLIN project makes it a difficult task to trace back to find the exact root cause.
//I have a thermistor for the hot end and another for the bed. Both are type 1 in the list: // 1 is 100k thermistor - best choice for EPCOS 100k (4.7k pullup)
#define TEMP_SENSOR_0 1
#define TEMP_SENSOR_1 0
#define TEMP_SENSOR_2 0
#define TEMP_SENSOR_BED 1

// ==> REMEMBER TO INSTALL U8glib to your ARDUINO library folder: [code.google.com]
// note to psneddon - This may be what you need to have defined. later in the configuration.h file this define is referenced for additional compiler options
// make sure this define statement is right before the line that reads //automatic expansion. don't mess with anything below the line.

The placement of the define statements matters. So if you define something at the top of the configuration.h file but then is define it again with a different value, the first define is overwritten

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2015 01:52PM by ddurkee0.
February 20, 2015 02:33PM
ddurkee0
Hi psneddon,
It was a problem in the Marlin files for the Arduino MEGA2560.
I recommend you get the latest revision. (And also get any required libraries.)
Using the Arduino IDE, from your sketchbook, open Marlin.
Find the tab for configuration.h and open the file.
Go through all of the statements #DEFINE and make sure the values match what you have on your personal REPRAP.
I don't remember exectly what the problem was in my case. But it was an obvious configuration #DEFINE that I needed to correct.
I'll throw in a few examples from my configuration.h file. You can use my settings only as a reference. It is likely your settings will be different.
** I'm not sure how much about compilers you know... so when a line starts with // the line is ignored. When you see # it tells the compiler to take a course of action. **
// I'm using a MEGA2560 and the latest RAMPS:
#ifndef MOTHERBOARD
#define MOTHERBOARD 33
#endif
// My power supply is a 30 Amp, 12V brick from Ebay. If you define the xbox the software limit the current draw. I don't need to worry about current.
#define POWER_SUPPLY 1
// note to psneddon - I kind of remember that I didn't have the thermistor correct and it the software couldn't work.
// I think the thermistors not having a #DEFINE value set correctly was THEconfiguration error to cause the display to be blank (I'm thinking the code got trapped in an infinite loop or something similar). I know it doesn't look related but I think it was the problem.
// the amount of code written in the MARLIN project makes it a difficult task to trace back to find the exact root cause.
//I have a thermistor for the hot end and another for the bed. Both are type 1 in the list: // 1 is 100k thermistor - best choice for EPCOS 100k (4.7k pullup)
#define TEMP_SENSOR_0 1
#define TEMP_SENSOR_1 0
#define TEMP_SENSOR_2 0
#define TEMP_SENSOR_BED 1

// ==> REMEMBER TO INSTALL U8glib to your ARDUINO library folder: [code.google.com]
// note to psneddon - This may be what you need to have defined. later in the configuration.h file this define is referenced for additional compiler options
// make sure this define statement is right before the line that reads //automatic expansion. don't mess with anything below the line.

The placement of the define statements matters. So if you define something at the top of the configuration.h file but then is define it again with a different value, the first define is overwritten

ddurkee,

THANK YOU for the quick reply.

I don't believe I set my power supply type setting - using one of the 30A 12V supply from eBay.

I had previously set my MOTHERBOARD to 33, but I had read a post somewhere that you had to use the actual name for the RAMPS1.4 Board so I had changed the # 33 to the board name - I'll change it back to 33 to look like this:

#ifndef MOTHERBOARD
#define MOTHERBOARD 33
#endif

I know I have the U8glib installed (I think it's in the right place) - does it go in the config.h tab or does it matter?

I uncommented the #define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER - I'll have to check to see if it's right before the line that reads "//automatic expansion"

I'm at work right now, but I'll be checking these settings this weekend. My display sort of works but it's really dim. I wonder if it's because i don't have the power supply setting set right. Also, the selector knob/push button will let me access the submenu, but when the knob is turned nothing happens - no scrolling to the other options.

Thanks again for the informtation. I'll definitely be checking everything later. I'll let you know if I make any progress. smiling smiley
February 20, 2015 07:27PM
Well, I tried all the steps you suggested but still no luck. Dim display and the scroll knob doesn't work. Using Marlin 1.6.0.... should I try an older version?
February 20, 2015 07:55PM
No. If the display seems dimmer that you expect, I would measure the supply voltages. The 12 supply should be close to 12 volts; how close depends on the quality of the brand. If the 12 supply is below 11 volts I would suspect your current draw it too high or poor quality.
Also, check the 5 volt supply. There may be more than one 5 volt supply. The Arduino may not function properly if the voltage is below 4.8 or so. And even if it is above 4.8 v, the operation may be unpredictable because any changes on the supply could cause the Arduino to reset if the voltage drops even for just a fraction of a second.
I added a well regulated power supply set to 5.2 volts on my reprap. I connected it directly to the 5 volt pin. (To be safe don't go above 5.2 volts if you do the same. 5 volts +/- 5% gives a max range of 4.75 to 5.25 volts)
Caution, if this is not a clear explanation to you, then I recommend finding an Electronics technition or Electrical engineer friend to help you. Be safe.
If the display is printing any graphics but the encoder doesn't work, you should be working to make the supplies more reliable. This is all just a guess based on what you have told me.
Good luck.
February 20, 2015 08:09PM
I had missed your other information.
Don't change anything in the config.h file.
The tab you need to click on in configuration.h not config.h.
The mother board define does need to be 33 not a text name.
The installation of the library is the same as any other arduino library.... place the U8glib library file in the folder ...\\My Documents\Arduino\Libraries (my path is C:\Users\Dave\Documents\Arduino\libraries on a Win 7 computer)
It is different based on the operation system and the user logon name. I think you can figure that out.
Also, If the library is not installed properly, the compile probably would fail and not upload any code to the target arduino.

*** Again since you say there is text and graphics but the back light is dim, I am willing to bet the power supply voltages are out of specifications. ***

Some of the 12 brick supplies have an adjustment pot. Don't adjust the pot when the arduino is connected.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2015 08:11PM by ddurkee0.
February 21, 2015 12:19AM
ddurkee0
The installation of the library is the same as any other arduino library.... place the U8glib library file in the folder ...\\My Documents\Arduino\Libraries (my path is C:\Users\Dave\Documents\Arduino\libraries on a Win 7 computer)
It is different based on the operation system and the user logon name. I think you can figure that out.
Also, If the library is not installed properly, the compile probably would fail and not upload any code to the target arduino.

*** Again since you say there is text and graphics but the back light is dim, I am willing to bet the power supply voltages are out of specifications. ***

Some of the 12 brick supplies have an adjustment pot. Don't adjust the pot when the arduino is connected.

I appreciate the assistance. I apologize for the abbreviation on the configuation.h tab - that's where I made the changes.

I've been adding the U8glib through the Arduino window

I don't think it's a power issue, but I may be wrong. The power supply is putting out about 12.2 volts. I reloaded an earlier version of Arduino (1.0.5) and the display lights up great for about 30 to 40 seconds before it dims.

I use a MAC computer and the hierarchy is a bit different. I'll do some more trial and error testing over the weekend. Thanks again.
February 23, 2015 09:44AM
psneddon
ddurkee0

I appreciate the assistance. I apologize for the abbreviation on the configuation.h tab - that's where I made the changes.

I've been adding the U8glib through the Arduino window

I don't think it's a power issue, but I may be wrong. The power supply is putting out about 12.2 volts. I reloaded an earlier version of Arduino (1.0.5) and the display lights up great for about 30 to 40 seconds before it dims.

I use a MAC computer and the hierarchy is a bit different. I'll do some more trial and error testing over the weekend. Thanks again.

I took my Full Graphics board and removed the rotary encoder switch to check it out. The main push button switch seems to be working fine (on/off), however the rotary encoder part doesn't seem to be working properly (?). I ohmed it out between the three pind and I'm getting a direct short on all the pins (to each other). If I rotate the knob a few turns all three pins are open. Does this mean the encoder is bad or is it functioning properly?

I found a video online that shows how to check a rotary encoder with an Arduino UNO. I have one that I can use to test it out, so I'll see if I can check it out later on tonight.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2015 11:42AM by psneddon.
February 23, 2015 08:02PM
I found some information on line on how to check the rotary encoder with an Arduino UNO board. I went ahead and loaded the sketch onto Arduino 1.0.5 and hooked the rotary encoder up as per the diagram here:

[www.multiwingspan.co.uk]

I was able to check my rotary encoder and found that it works fine. I was getting the range from +12 through zero and down to -12. So, I'll still need to try and find out why the selector knob doesn't work on my RepRap Full Graphics Display.
Attachments:
open | download - Rotary_Encoder_Reader_2_23.ino (1.4 KB)
March 25, 2015 12:23PM
So guys, you solved this???
Because I'm trying to use the full graphic controller, but... NOTHING. Using the last Marlin, uncommenting the line, adding the U8glib library... But the LCD gives only beautiful blue light....

Any idea???..... thanks
March 26, 2015 02:35AM
Try a 470 ohm resistor as per the picture - but not a 100k as in the picture.
I bought 2 off Aliexpress that just had the blue screen, the vendor told me to add a 100k resistor, but I found 470 ohm the correct value

Steve

My updated Instructable on our Prusa i3 Build
[www.instructables.com]
Attachments:
open | download - 470ohm.jpg (111.9 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login